Hans

Hans

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys 2.0 4D
MOAB - the trails you listed are great for sightseeing but if you miss the "slickrock" experience you're missing a lot, it's amazing (and safe) to see/feel what your jeep can do on that sand paper they call slickrock. I recommend Fins n Things and Hells Revenge both of which are located in Sand Flats Recreation area just outside MOAB. It's a county rec area with lots of other vehicles around and well marked trails, its an experience you shouldn't miss while you're there.

For OURAY I would add Imogene trail. My favorite trail for scenery in Colorado and not too difficult. I recommend traveling it from Ouray to Telluride. It will get a fair amount of traffic during the time you are there and if you wait around the trailhead a bit you can probably tag along with another group if you ask nicely. Make sure to ask around to make sure those trails are open before heading out as many passes are still closed by snow in early July...

You must understand that just because a trail may be rated difficult in your book you need to read the descriptions closely before making any decisions.. Many times the rating is based on a single point or obstacle along the trail. In many instances these have easier bypasses which you can take to get around the difficult part. Chuck Wells (the author) does a pretty good job of pointing these out.

Don't stress too much, you'll have a great time!
Thx for your info .
I read that one of the two is like a rollercoaster on rocks ...... maybe ......
Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I would also highly recommend Fins and Things and Hells Revenge in Moab. Fins is a nice warm up, I have taken many first timers there. Hells Revenge is a MUST in Moab. The climbs on the slickrock are incredible. Both entirely do-able by a beginner in a stock vehicle. Be careful, follow the trail and you should have a great time.

I see your itinerary and wonder where you are staying the night of July 4. It is only 3 hours drive from Moab to Ouray. There will be an incredible fireworks display in Ouray on the evening of July 4 for our Independence Day celebration. The sights and sounds are not to be missed if you can make it. If you are then uncomfortable about any of the area trails, contact me here. I live right down the road and would be happy to loop Imogene and Ophir with you if those are a concern. I will be in my wifes new stock Jeep that I am not allowed to damage either. The trails are all open here now with the exception of Black Bear Pass which I really do not enjoy much anyway. You can see it from the Imogene Rd and get pictures instead.

The lower part of Engineer (Mineral Creek) does have a couple of sections with some big rocks. There is a track around them though for the less adventurous. The section that used to trouble my wife has been groomed a little smoother and there are some great sights to see including the Mosquito point mine/mill and a couple spectacular waterfalls. We just did this last weekend in her new Jeep, looping to Lake City and back over Cinnamon Pass to Silverton.

Happy to have an excuse to go out trail riding for a day if you would like some local guidance. I have lived here 20 years and run the area trails for almost 30 years.

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

OP
OP
Hans

Hans

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would also highly recommend Fins and Things and Hells Revenge in Moab. Fins is a nice warm up, I have taken many first timers there. Hells Revenge is a MUST in Moab. The climbs on the slickrock are incredible. Both entirely do-able by a beginner in a stock vehicle. Be careful, follow the trail and you should have a great time.

I see your itinerary and wonder where you are staying the night of July 4. It is only 3 hours drive from Moab to Ouray. There will be an incredible fireworks display in Ouray on the evening of July 4 for our Independence Day celebration. The sights and sounds are not to be missed if you can make it. If you are then uncomfortable about any of the area trails, contact me here. I live right down the road and would be happy to loop Imogene and Ophir with you if those are a concern. I will be in my wifes new stock Jeep that I am not allowed to damage either. The trails are all open here now with the exception of Black Bear Pass which I really do not enjoy much anyway. You can see it from the Imogene Rd and get pictures instead.

The lower part of Engineer (Mineral Creek) does have a couple of sections with some big rocks. There is a track around them though for the less adventurous. The section that used to trouble my wife has been groomed a little smoother and there are some great sights to see including the Mosquito point mine/mill and a couple spectacular waterfalls. We just did this last weekend in her new Jeep, looping to Lake City and back over Cinnamon Pass to Silverton.

Happy to have an excuse to go out trail riding for a day if you would like some local guidance. I have lived here 20 years and run the area trails for almost 30 years.

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Moab/Ouray trip coming up as newbee ....... advice wanted IMG_1087.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Moab/Ouray trip coming up as newbee ....... advice wanted IMG_1087.JPG

Hello Ridgway Jeeper,

Thx for your post, info and offer to 'go along'.

We are already on our way to Moab . At this time we are in Manhattan , Kansas .... I didn't know there was a Manhattan to in Kansas :) :) :)

Between Moab and Ouray, we have sleepovers in Bluff and Cortez . On the 04 July we planned to do the Four States monument and Mesa Verde . The 05 July we drive then from Cortez on the 145 direction Telluride and then the Last Dollar Road to the 62 and Ridgeway. From there we drive to Ouray. That's the plan.

if the wifi in the motel is as good as this one now , I keep in mind to 'call' you for your offer :)

Thx in advance !!

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Hello Ridgway Jeeper,

Thx for your post, info and offer to 'go along'.

We are already on our way to Moab . At this time we are in Manhattan , Kansas .... I didn't know there was a Manhattan to in Kansas :) :) :)

Between Moab and Ouray, we have sleepovers in Bluff and Cortez . On the 04 July we planned to do the Four States monument and Mesa Verde . The 05 July we drive then from Cortez on the 145 direction Telluride and then the Last Dollar Road to the 62 and Ridgeway. From there we drive to Ouray. That's the plan.

if the wifi in the motel is as good as this one now , I keep in mind to 'call' you for your offer :)

Thx in advance !!
Enjoy your journey, you are likely now just getting to the mountains. The next couple of weeks will be amazing western US scenery for you!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Between Moab and Ouray, we have sleepovers in Bluff and Cortez . On the 04 July we planned to do the Four States monument and Mesa Verde .
Hi Hans, before visiting Mesa Verde I'd recommend visiting the Canyons of the Ancients Visitor Center and Museum. It's about 15 minutes north of Cortez and just outside of Delores. It will give you a very good base for understanding what you'll see at Mesa Verde. If you have to drop 4corners to visit the museum I personally would drop 4corners. There's nothing there except a bunch of tourist. ;)

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I hope 4 corners and Cortez aren't too big of a let down. I am with Jay Jay on this, I would have skipped both of those. Mesa Verde is interesting though.

OP
OP
Hans

Hans

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope 4 corners and Cortez aren't too big of a let down. I am with Jay Jay on this, I would have skipped both of those. Mesa Verde is interesting though.
We arrived in Moab !
Drove 2307 miles since Thursday morning .... Kansas was weird , miles and miles just straight ahead and the front of the car is a graveyard of insects .... I cleaned it every stop we did . Tomorrow we do the Canyonlands N'tl Park and than the Shafer trail back to Moab .
We'll see tomorrow evening how it went . It's an easy one , so I don't expect any issues :), but still it is not an army LMV and my wife and son are in it too ....and we gotta go back to New York after Ouray .....;)

On 03 July we drive from Moab north to I-70 , go west and go south again on the 24 Hwy . Stop is foreseen in Goblin Valley . Then on the 95 to Natural Bridges Monument . Then on 261 to Valley of the Gods and into Bluff . Sleep in Bluff . I remember from 5 years ago that there is an old Fort or something .
The plan is on 04 july to check the 4 corners monument . I know there is not much going on there , but as a 5 year tourist I cannot just 'not see it ' . Maybe , I will never get this close to it than on that day ....
After 4 corners we drive to Mesa Verde and check it out . After that we just drive to Cortez just to sleep. Our next stop on the 5 july is Ouray . We didn't wanted to drive in the evening from Mesa Verde to Ouray. That's why the stop in Cortez is brought in.
The 05 July it is the trip from Cortez direction Telluride ( maybe eat there ) and then do the Last Dollar road to the 62 and Ridgeway and then to Ouray.

I just checked on the website of the Canyons of the ancients , and it will be closed on Sunday's ....

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I arrived last night to Moab. Doing hells revenge and fins and things today. Can’t wait to get on the trail.

Good luck and hope it all goes well!!

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR order cancelled; 2012 Wrangler
This offer wasn't directed at me, and this isn't even my thread, but I would love to take you up on that once I have my JL. Been trying to make it out to Moab for 10+ years, finally had the plans in place last spring, and obviously everything fell apart. Hoping for spring of next year once I'm well-acquainted with my JLUR.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
We arrived in Moab !
Drove 2307 miles since Thursday morning .... Kansas was weird , miles and miles just straight ahead and the front of the car is a graveyard of insects .... I cleaned it every stop we did . Tomorrow we do the Canyonlands N'tl Park and than the Shafer trail back to Moab .
We'll see tomorrow evening how it went . It's an easy one , so I don't expect any issues :), but still it is not an army LMV and my wife and son are in it too ....and we gotta go back to New York after Ouray .....;)

On 03 July we drive from Moab north to I-70 , go west and go south again on the 24 Hwy . Stop is foreseen in Goblin Valley . Then on the 95 to Natural Bridges Monument . Then on 261 to Valley of the Gods and into Bluff . Sleep in Bluff . I remember from 5 years ago that there is an old Fort or something .
The plan is on 04 july to check the 4 corners monument . I know there is not much going on there , but as a 5 year tourist I cannot just 'not see it ' . Maybe , I will never get this close to it than on that day ....
After 4 corners we drive to Mesa Verde and check it out . After that we just drive to Cortez just to sleep. Our next stop on the 5 july is Ouray . We didn't wanted to drive in the evening from Mesa Verde to Ouray. That's why the stop in Cortez is brought in.
The 05 July it is the trip from Cortez direction Telluride ( maybe eat there ) and then do the Last Dollar road to the 62 and Ridgeway and then to Ouray.

I just checked on the website of the Canyons of the ancients , and it will be closed on Sunday's ....
While in Mesa Verde, if you like to hike, try to Petroglyphs Trail. The petroglyphs are not “amazing” as they are small but the hike is very nice.

also, I strongly suggest that you get to MVNP early…. the lines at the entrance can be LONG……. We always arrived around 8am and we had only one or two vehicles ahead of us.

if you want to take a side trip, maybe head up north of Durango about 30 minutes to the. San Juan National Forest and hike up to potato lake. Lovely.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-pusses”-—-list-them-here.56846/post-1539821

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
This offer wasn't directed at me, and this isn't even my thread, but I would love to take you up on that once I have my JL. Been trying to make it out to Moab for 10+ years, finally had the plans in place last spring, and obviously everything fell apart. Hoping for spring of next year once I'm well-acquainted with my JLUR.
I am pretty much always up for some trail time. I am very familiar with Moab as well but I do not live there. I am in Ridgway CO about 10 miles from Ouray (and 3 hrs from Moab). The trails in the San Juans here are a lot different than Moab, both awesome in their own right but the San Juans are the rocky mountains. Steep, lots of tree's and waterfalls, snowbanks on the sides of the trails still at the end of June. Moab is the desert, no trees, HOT in the summer and the terrain is "slickrock" which fortunately is pretty grippy.

So unless I am in Moab for some reason, the real offer is for the trails around Ouray/Silverton CO and the offer stands for any friendly off roaders! Ouray is crazy busy in the summer, reservations should be made as much as a year in advance, especially around the Fourth of July.

Roody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR order cancelled; 2012 Wrangler
I am pretty much always up for some trail time. I am very familiar with Moab as well but I do not live there. I am in Ridgway CO about 10 miles from Ouray (and 3 hrs from Moab). The trails in the San Juans here are a lot different than Moab, both awesome in their own right but the San Juans are the rocky mountains. Steep, lots of tree's and waterfalls, snowbanks on the sides of the trails still at the end of June. Moab is the desert, no trees, HOT in the summer and the terrain is "slickrock" which fortunately is pretty grippy.

So unless I am in Moab for some reason, the real offer is for the trails around Ouray/Silverton CO and the offer stands for any friendly off roaders! Ouray is crazy busy in the summer, reservations should be made as much as a year in advance, especially around the Fourth of July.
Sounds perfect. Will give you a shout when I plan the trip.

OP
OP
Hans

Hans

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First day at Moab :
Did Dead horse point and Canyonlands and than the Shafer trail .
I was a bit disappointed . I didn't went as good as I thought it would be. It was a bumpy ride and I think the tires were not on the correct pressure. So, day two I aired down the tires for the Long Canyon Road and it was much better !!! It felt like I expected it . It went smoothly . :)
The scenerary is awesome !!

Jeep Wrangler JL Moab/Ouray trip coming up as newbee ....... advice wanted Jeep at Long Canyon Road.JPG

I noticed a few things :
While driving in 4H , after a while the blind spot sensors are shutting themselves off . Is that normal ?
And to air up the 4 tires , it takes me and my little compressor about 25 minutes :)

But , most of all , we had an amazing time !

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
First day at Moab :
Did Dead horse point and Canyonlands and than the Shafer trail .
I was a bit disappointed . I didn't went as good as I thought it would be. It was a bumpy ride and I think the tires were not on the correct pressure. So, day two I aired down the tires for the Long Canyon Road and it was much better !!! It felt like I expected it . It went smoothly . :)
The scenerary is awesome !!

Jeep at Long Canyon Road.JPG

I noticed a few things :
While driving in 4H , after a while the blind spot sensors are shutting themselves off . Is that normal ?
And to air up the 4 tires , it takes me and my little compressor about 25 minutes :)

But , most of all , we had an amazing time !
My blind spot sensors shut off when I’m offroad for seeming 2 reasons.
1) the sensors get dirty/dusty so the system “shuts off’ or
2) the rock walls/trees/etc at the edge of the trail are so close and continuous, the system just seems to shut down…..

clean the sensors for #1 and #2 fixes itself when off the trail for a few minutes.

as for bumps, I have found that disconnecting my sway bar really helps To smooth things out.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What about the tire pressure ?
Do I need to change every time I change from trail to paved road?
I have a little compressor with me.
And what would be a good pressure on these trails ?
I drive now daily on 38 psi. While driving. Once in a while I check the gauge in the dashboard and sometimes it says 40, but when I check with cold tires it says 38.

Another thing , driving in 4H or 4L ? Driving in 4L would be very slowly and maybe I will get on someone's nerves because maybe they would go faster.
In the last winterstorm I drove in upstate New York in 4H , but kind of slowly due to the huge amout of snow.
And what do you do in the sharp turns , isn't the steering wheel 'knocking back' due to the driving in 4H or 4L . I think you know what i mean by knocking , I don't know the word in English to explain it otherwise.
While in MOAB you can air down to 18 lbs and drive on it the whole time your there. you can drive the hwy at speeds up to 60 mph. you can easily drive to and from your hotel to trailhead, trailhead to trailhead and on the trails with 18 lbs. On the trails you plan to do, you wont need to drop it any lower than that. Just air back up when you plan to leave Moab. Ask any jeep outfitter in town they will tell you the same.
Sponsored