Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Listen I'm not trying to troll, im just stating the fact that some Moab owners are quick to dismiss everything a Rubicon has as unnecessary because they won't use it / Rock crawl / daily drive / etc but they have the least road friendly tires of the bunch. It's more of a jab at the package that Jeep made for the Moab . Should have included AT instead Imho
Usually when someone that has a MOAB/Sahara says things like not needing lockers its because we're being told pretty much anything less than a Rubicon is garbage (putting it lightly). A MOAB or even a Sahara or sport model with Mud Terrain tires would still be a great off roader despite not having lockers or 4.10 axle ratio. To be honest a MOAB might be optimal for the type of off roading that I do, it just wasn't available when I got my Jeep.

Are the Extra Off Road goodies on a Rubicon good? yes.
Are they needed by absolutely everyone? no.
Sponsored

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
Usually when someone that has a MOAB/Sahara says things like not needing lockers its because we're being told pretty much anything less than a Rubicon is garbage (putting it lightly). A MOAB or even a Sahara or sport model with Mud Terrain tires would still be a great off roader despite not having lockers or 4.10 axle ratio. To be honest a MOAB might be optimal for the type of off roading that I do, it just wasn't available when I got my Jeep.

Are the Extra Off Road goodies on a Rubicon good? yes.
Are they needed by absolutely everyone? no.
another MOAB trashing thread? :facepalm:

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
LOVE my MOAB, had everything I wanted and then some, BUT.... I really dislike the stock tires, very loud and rough. Saving up a bit for a lift and 35 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Still trying to find out definitively if I can put 35's on my stock moab wheels without spacers if anyone can help with that one.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
LOVE my MOAB, had everything I wanted and then some, BUT.... I really dislike the stock tires, very loud and rough. Saving up a bit for a lift and 35 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Still trying to find out definitively if I can put 35's on my stock moab wheels without spacers if anyone can help with that one.
I'm pretty sure the wheels are exactly the same as the Rubicon ones just all black.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Don't forget that the Moab comes with MTs and the Sahara comes with duellers .That alone will make a decent difference .
Long story but currently have a 2019 Sahara and will be trading for the Moab. They will be swapping the Sahara wheels and tires to the new Moab. I wasn’t interested in the Moab but it has the same equipment and color as my current Sahara. That’s why the question about the on road difference.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Long story but currently have a 2019 Sahara and will be trading for the Moab. They will be swapping the Sahara wheels and tires to the new Moab. I wasn’t interested in the Moab but it has the same equipment and color as my current Sahara. That’s why the question about the on road difference.
Why not get the Moab and just buy a set of 33" Rubicon ko2 tires off the forum here? Those Moab wheels are a hot item and they go with the package .

OP
OP

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Why not get the Moab and just buy a set of 33" Rubicon ko2 tires off the forum here? Those Moab wheels are a hot item and they go with the package .
I am 75 years old and will only off road to get to specific locations with just some mud if it rains. The dealer is taking care of situation that neither of us caused. Most of my driving will be pavement with some sand.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I am 75 years old and will only off road to get to specific locations with just some mud if it rains. The dealer is taking care of situation that neither of us caused. Most of my driving will be pavement with some sand.
That's fine, just saying you might be better off with the Moab specific wheels and just getting different tires instead of mounting Sahara wheels onto it. you got to do what you feel is right though. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Sahara .

OP
OP

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
That's fine, just saying you might be better off with the Moab specific wheels and just getting different tires instead of mounting Sahara wheels onto it. you got to do what you feel is right though. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Sahara .
Thanks

Sponsored

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
That's fine, just saying you might be better off with the Moab specific wheels and just getting different tires instead of mounting Sahara wheels onto it.
I agree. The MOAB wheels are really nice in that all black configuration. Just swap out the tires.

I'd definately rethink the decision on getting rid of the black rims. A MOAB with Sahara rims will look...odd.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
So the new “Moab Edition” may not quite be equipped to be as true to the “Moab” name as its predecessor, but it still gets some great off-road hardware, including 32-inch mud-terrain tires, steel bumpers, rock rails and a standard limited slip rear differential. These, on top of the fact that all Wranglers have two solid axles, excellent ground clearance and approach/departure/breakover angles, and low-range gearing, mean that this thing will definitely be decent on the trails of Moab, even with those CV joints, and even without a locker.

Other features for the Sahara-based Moab Edition include a Rubicon hood with a big Moab decal, LED headlights and taillights, 17-inch Rubicon wheels, a body-color hardtop, and black painted headlight surrounds, grille “throats” and tow hooks.

Inside, the seats are leather, there’s Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection, an 8.4-inch touchscreen with navigation, a fancy Alpine sound system and a bunch more comfort features. And really, that’s what this Moab Edition seems to be geared towards: comfort. It’s basically an optioned-up Sahara with a big decal and some Rubicon bits bolted on.

The four-door only Moab Edition starts at $52,695 with destination, and is already rolling out to dealers.

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
So the new “Moab Edition” may not quite be equipped to be as true to the “Moab” name as its predecessor, but it still gets some great off-road hardware, including 32-inch mud-terrain tires, steel bumpers, rock rails and a standard limited slip rear differential. These, on top of the fact that all Wranglers have two solid axles, excellent ground clearance and approach/departure/breakover angles, and low-range gearing, mean that this thing will definitely be decent on the trails of Moab, even with those CV joints, and even without a locker.

Other features for the Sahara-based Moab Edition include a Rubicon hood with a big Moab decal, LED headlights and taillights, 17-inch Rubicon wheels, a body-color hardtop, and black painted headlight surrounds, grille “throats” and tow hooks.

Inside, the seats are leather, there’s Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection, an 8.4-inch touchscreen with navigation, a fancy Alpine sound system and a bunch more comfort features. And really, that’s what this Moab Edition seems to be geared towards: comfort. It’s basically an optioned-up Sahara with a big decal and some Rubicon bits bolted on.

The four-door only Moab Edition starts at $52,695 with destination, and is already rolling out to dealers.
...and rubicon shocks and springs and UPGRADED rock rails that don't come with the rubicon.

It's a real nice setup for those of us that don't need lockers and sway bar disconnect.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
...and rubicon shocks and springs and UPGRADED rock rails that don't come with the rubicon.

It's a real nice setup for those of us that don't need lockers and sway bar disconnect.
I think he's quoting the Jalopnik article on the MOAB.

And I think the only thing missing on the current MOAB that the JK MOAB had was the OPTION for a locking rear differential. Otherwise pretty much the same type of package.