Moab Last week 5/9/21 RAZOR Mania!

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The last time I went jeeping there was 2001. I did Poison Spider, Golden Spike and one other. It was a LONG day but what a trail!

Fast forward 20 years and I take my freshly masters graduate son with me in my 2018 JLUR with 37s, 4.88's 4 inch lift, more, with my home made offroad trailer.

Found a nice place to camp and next day off to do Hells Revenge. I did it the week before with my dirt bike, and I can tell you the experience was night and day between dirt bike and jeep. The jeep was way more exhilarating.

Boy the place has changed. 20 years ago I saw mostly all jeeps, then other brands, with a good amount of dirt bikes. This time it was 99% razor type rigs, and a smattering of jeeps, and again dirt bikes. The whole time on the trails I saw 3 jeeps. 2 on Hells revenge and 1 on Golden Spike vs probably 50 or more on Hell's and 20 on Spider, Golden trails.

They have taken over.

So I just had to check what the buzz was all about with these Razors. They offered free test rides about a mile from camp so my son and I signed up.

It had a go kart feel and sound to it. Once you hit the gas it took a bit to get going but it was a rocket. Suspension was amazing, a little chuttery on small bumpy stuff but just swallowed up big stuff. They had a pin it section and just wow, down right scary how fast it went.

Would I want one? You bet! But a few things I didnt like about it. Dusty as hell, we had a short 40 minute ride and were coated. Loud. Not all that comfortable.

Would I want to take it on poison spider or Golden Spike, instead of my jeep? No. My jeep is set up pretty well but it was more than that. We had creature comforts galore and to meet any circumstance vs a Razor.

Golden Spike was way harder then what I remember it to be. Last time I did it was in my 97 TJ and made quick work of it with my wife and 2 year old. I dont know if it got harder over the years, or I'm just leery of obstacles now. It went over them easily but every one was like "I have to do THAT?" lol But over some time I was choosing harder lines that I wouldnt do with the TJ. My son wasnt happy about that but became a believer when it would do them.

The bummer for me was in the past when I would do moab solo I would always meet people in other jeeps and we would help each other and get to know one another. It was fun. Not the case this time and was kind of sad. Maybe I was just unlucky and didnt see any when I was out.

The son and I talked about getting a Razor but the Pro's of the jeep just couldnt be ignored. I drove from the house towing a trailer, had ac, tunes, nice ride, decent MPG (14.5) running up and down mountains from AZ to UT. Things that a Razor just couldnt do.

However my son might end up with one. He doesnt want a jeep or any vehicle more geared as such for every day use. He instead would just tow one to moab. That's probably why people get them
Sponsored

illinimark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler Rubicon 2-door JL
We left Indy April 17th 2 jeeps 1- 2021 JL unlimited Sahara and my 2 door 2020 Rubicon 1st jeeps for both of us.... did Rt 66 tour and most National parks with several off road trails recommended by locals .... no real schedule MOAB was the highlight got home May 9th..... was AWESOME already planning next one!!!

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Interesting about the ratio of Jeeps then versus now. I agree though, I wouldn't want to give up the creature comforts of the Jeep. Being new to the world of Jeeps, what type of tires would you guys recommend for a trip like this, MT or AT?

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Interesting about the ratio of Jeeps then versus now. I agree though, I wouldn't want to give up the creature comforts of the Jeep. Being new to the world of Jeeps, what type of tires would you guys recommend for a trip like this, MT or AT?
First off traction in Moab is off the charts with only a few exceptions. Think of it as riding on 100-150 grit sand paper. You will be floored at what you can do. So tires there are of little consequence. I would pick what you would use elsewhere and not for a Moab trip.

I run Patagonia's. Quiet, aggressive, hold up well but other tires are good too.

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
We left Indy April 17th 2 jeeps 1- 2021 JL unlimited Sahara and my 2 door 2020 Rubicon 1st jeeps for both of us.... did Rt 66 tour and most National parks with several off road trails recommended by locals .... no real schedule MOAB was the highlight got home May 9th..... was AWESOME already planning next one!!!
Moab has something for everyone. We jeeped, hiked, jet boated, razor'd, drove around sight seeing. The town has gotten too busy for me. I was there twice, first time the place was too hectic, but last week wasnt bad.

Camping remote is in designated area's and that was a departure from what I was used to as well. We camped right off a major FS road and I wasnt happy about the possiblity of getting dusted out with 20 razor caravan's going by. I dont know how but it wasnt that bad.

If I didnt have some loose ends to wrap up at home I would go back again next week before it gets to hot. I like it that much.

Sponsored

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I went the other way.

I bought a 2016 Rubicon and off-roaded it very often the first few years (never at MOAB). Life slowed that down a bit, and being it was a lemon from day one, I was taking it off-road less and less.

Then I got together with my now fiancé and she was a big fan of 4-wheeling and side by sides. Rode a few days on a 4-wheeler and loved it! But it was not meant for a passenger, so we started looking into side by sides, and I fell in love with the RZR.

After buying a RZR, never off-roaded my Jeep again. There's just something different about knowing the vehicle is intended for nothing but off-road that makes you push it more, and knowing it doesn't have to drive you hundreds of miles home afterward, it's just so much more fun in the RZR.

So, I've since sold the Rubicon, and now waiting for a Willys to be built!

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I went the other way.

I bought a 2016 Rubicon and off-roaded it very often the first few years (never at MOAB). Life slowed that down a bit, and being it was a lemon from day one, I was taking it off-road less and less.

Then I got together with my now fiancé and she was a big fan of 4-wheeling and side by sides. Rode a few days on a 4-wheeler and loved it! But it was not meant for a passenger, so we started looking into side by sides, and I fell in love with the RZR.

After buying a RZR, never off-roaded my Jeep again. There's just something different about knowing the vehicle is intended for nothing but off-road that makes you push it more, and knowing it doesn't have to drive you hundreds of miles home afterward, it's just so much more fun in the RZR.

So, I've since sold the Rubicon, and now waiting for a Willys to be built!
No doubt many feel as you do. Razors own moab....as least when I was there.

Prior to buying my JL I had a TJ that I never used since getting into dirt bikes. If just sat there and I was considering selling it and maybe getting a razor. One day I did take the TJ with the family and took a break in a nice spot and then a razor pulled up....then another and another, on and on. They had helmets, masks on and jackets, all but the lead guy was a dust bowl.

So that ended that thought for ME. I'd either have to ride solo or be the lead guy to enjoy myself. Those things really are fun otherwise. Especially in moab in all the fun places that have no dusty situations.

IN the same dusty situations in the jL. I roll up the windows hit the AC and recirculate, gold.

But I totally get what your saying about breakage. It would really suck if I broke down on the trail and had to fix the rig that was supposed to be taking me home. However I really beefed up my jeep so this wouldnt happen. RCV's, yukon rear shafts, trussed on both axles, more. So I really didnt worry much about breakage and for the 30+k pricetage of a razor I could buy even more impressive armor if I thought I needed it. But even still I could break and that is the beauty of a razor.

The other benny of a razor is since there NOW is more of them the you meet more like minded people on the trail, that is fun in itself. Also trail fixes are more doable if needed since the likelihood of someone knowledgeable will be there.

I really wish I had both. lol

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
These wildly popular Razors are IFS all around, right ?
Have to admit, an EV version would be fantastic.
The noise factor plays into a lot of the " anti off roading " closures we are seeing

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
No doubt many feel as you do. Razors own moab....as least when I was there.

Prior to buying my JL I had a TJ that I never used since getting into dirt bikes. If just sat there and I was considering selling it and maybe getting a razor. One day I did take the TJ with the family and took a break in a nice spot and then a razor pulled up....then another and another, on and on. They had helmets, masks on and jackets, all but the lead guy was a dust bowl.

So that ended that thought for ME. I'd either have to ride solo or be the lead guy to enjoy myself. Those things really are fun otherwise. Especially in moab in all the fun places that have no dusty situations.

IN the same dusty situations in the jL. I roll up the windows hit the AC and recirculate, gold.

But I totally get what your saying about breakage. It would really suck if I broke down on the trail and had to fix the rig that was supposed to be taking me home. However I really beefed up my jeep so this wouldnt happen. RCV's, yukon rear shafts, trussed on both axles, more. So I really didnt worry much about breakage and for the 30+k pricetage of a razor I could buy even more impressive armor if I thought I needed it. But even still I could break and that is the beauty of a razor.

The other benny of a razor is since there NOW is more of them the you meet more like minded people on the trail, that is fun in itself. Also trail fixes are more doable if needed since the likelihood of someone knowledgeable will be there.

I really wish I had both. lol
Being the widest, and second most experienced, and probably the most well-equipped, we almost always bring up the rear, COVERED in dust! The biggest downfall for sure.

I definitely support the beefing up, but it all adds up in weight. Not a big deal, but it sure was nice getting used to wheeling a heavy Jeep, then getting into a light RZR - a lot less worry of coming off a big drop and SLAMMING onto something. We went with the Turbo S Velocity, best bang for your buck in my opinion, $18k plus maaaaybe $1k in extras and we're set!

That is one big reason I went Polaris over any other side by side, so many out there, if something breaks, good chance of finding a spare if I don't have one already.

I say buy one!! haha

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
These wildly popular Razors are IFS all around, right ?
Have to admit, an EV version would be fantastic.
The noise factor plays into a lot of the " anti off roading " closures we are seeing
yeah and IFS typically sucks but the on the razor it works since there is room to put the more efficient components vs a conventional vehicle.

ANd yeah they are pretty loud and annoying, plus since they are so powerful they are fun to go fast in and hard to stop yourself from doing so. I hear there is an anti razor sentiment in moab because of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Being the widest, and second most experienced, and probably the most well-equipped, we almost always bring up the rear, COVERED in dust! The biggest downfall for sure.

I definitely support the beefing up, but it all adds up in weight. Not a big deal, but it sure was nice getting used to wheeling a heavy Jeep, then getting into a light RZR - a lot less worry of coming off a big drop and SLAMMING onto something. We went with the Turbo S Velocity, best bang for your buck in my opinion, $18k plus maaaaybe $1k in extras and we're set!

That is one big reason I went Polaris over any other side by side, so many out there, if something breaks, good chance of finding a spare if I don't have one already.

I say buy one!! haha
Yeah weight does add up on jeeps and I was really trying hard to keep it down and think I did a pretty good job. My net gain on my jeep was 150lbs more not counting the bigger tires. I had a lot of takeoffs and used a beefy alum skid plate that was tested big time and passed big time. It surprised me.

I hear polaris is better in motor and suspension but the belt is not easy to change out if a problem.

I saw one tricked out razor/polaris, that had portals and 42's. I sure would like to see it work on the trail.

Yeah I would LOVE one! haha

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I know this will ruffle some feathers but, RZR mania (esp rentals) is not a good thing (IMO). I've never been off-road in the Southwest but my wife and I are really excited about our big trip next year (Utah, Nevada, California); however, I'm wondering how many trails will be closed permanently by the time we get there.

Back when I was in my 20's there were still many options to off-road in Maine but then the ATV population grew and so did the number of people who abused private and public lands, this lead to an explosion of 'gates' and no trespassing signs. Since then, ATV clubs have worked very hard to get trails built / opened back up. Their efforts to work with public / private property owners have paid off but in the end it mainly benefits ATV's, Jeep trails are still rare at best.

While prepping for our trip I've watched and read endless material on off-roading / overlanding the Southwest and it seems to me (maybe I'm wrong) the popularity of side-by-sides / UTV's / RZR's had lead to a big increase in trail damage, litter, vandalism, etc. As an example, Matt's off road recovery seems to recover broken (mainly rented) RZR's on a daily basis during the busy season. I have zero faith that the majority of these 'customers' would keep off the biological soil crust, respect private land owners, haul out their trash, etc. I've seen more than one story on Fox 13 lately where local and state officials are 'looking at options' due to all of these problems. I know tourism is a BIG part of the economy in places like Moab but eventually a few people are going to spoil it for those of us who 'tread lightly' (including those who enjoy UTV's but do it respectfully).

I hope I'm wrong and yes, there are also thoughtless people who Jeep BUT then again, the only bad experience I've had off-road in recent years involved some (insert description) in a RZR. They tore up a mountaintop road on a windy day, ignored all signage and covered a dozen people in a cloud of dust.

OK, stepping off my soapbox now, fire away!

OP
OP

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I know this will ruffle some feathers but, RZR mania (esp rentals) is not a good thing (IMO). I've never been off-road in the Southwest but my wife and I are really excited about our big trip next year (Utah, Nevada, California); however, I'm wondering how many trails will be closed permanently by the time we get there.

Back when I was in my 20's there were still many options to off-road in Maine but then the ATV population grew and so did the number of people who abused private and public lands, this lead to an explosion of 'gates' and no trespassing signs. Since then, ATV clubs have worked very hard to get trails built / opened back up. Their efforts to work with public / private property owners have paid off but in the end it mainly benefits ATV's, Jeep trails are still rare at best.

While prepping for our trip I've watched and read endless material on off-roading / overlanding the Southwest and it seems to me (maybe I'm wrong) the popularity of side-by-sides / UTV's / RZR's had lead to a big increase in trail damage, litter, vandalism, etc. As an example, Matt's off road recovery seems to recover broken (mainly rented) RZR's on a daily basis during the busy season. I have zero faith that the majority of these 'customers' would keep off the biological soil crust, respect private land owners, haul out their trash, etc. I've seen more than one story on Fox 13 lately where local and state officials are 'looking at options' due to all of these problems. I know tourism is a BIG part of the economy in places like Moab but eventually a few people are going to spoil it for those of us who 'tread lightly' (including those who enjoy UTV's but do it respectfully).

I hope I'm wrong and yes, there are also thoughtless people who Jeep BUT then again, the only bad experience I've had off-road in recent years involved some (insert description) in a RZR. They tore up a mountaintop road on a windy day, ignored all signage and covered a dozen people in a cloud of dust.

OK, stepping off my soapbox now, fire away!
You're likely right. But really not much you can do. Used to be you didnt have that many enjoying trails on jeeps and whatever but there was a percentage that were dicks. The dick percent of that small group didnt really amount to much so not a big deal.

Now with the explosion of jeeps, utv's etc the population enjoying trails are HUGE. The percent of dicks are the same but now numerically higher. So now or soon will be a problem. I think clubs and government should just understand that is just how it is and work to mitigate those problems and not get pissed or close crap down.

What we have done here in spots is have a free for all section of land so that dicks or anyone can let their hair down and go nuts. Get it out of their system and control the other more fragile areas and repair when needed.

Getting pissed at dicks really doesnt help. It's futile, they are there and it's just the way it is. Closing stuff down is easy, lazy, and eph's it up for those that are responsible.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Getting pissed at dicks really doesnt help. It's futile, they are there and it's just the way it is. Closing stuff down is easy, lazy, and eph's it up for those that are responsible.
The frustrating part though, is that this is the typical response from local Governments, and it’s for that very reason. (Easy & lazy). Especially if it’s a place doesn’t generate a lot of revenue or tourism.

I no longer live in Missouri, but I grew up there, and I spent a lot of time off road on dirt bikes as a kid, then in my 4x4 after I turned 16. I watched more than a handful of popular spots around the state get permanently shut down over the years, because of the “bad apples” that ruined it for everyone else.

It’s always sad to see that there are so many people that really couldn’t give a crap that they might get a place shut down.

It’s probably not near as likely with a big, popular place like Moab, but it seems to me like it happens frequently with smaller scale places.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was in Moab from the 9th to the 24th of may and was told that they had a rally for the RZR's and side by sides going on.
Sponsored