Moab Itinerary?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Go to the City Market grocery store in the middle of town around 7:30-8:00 am, there’s a good chance there will be other Jeeps there and you could probably join them.

The first time I went to Moab alone I went to the staging area for Poison Spider and waited less than ten minutes until a group came along and let me join them.
The second time alone I cruised through one of the campgrounds until I saw a bunch of Jeeps, they also welcomed us for the day.
Great groups of people both times.
Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Fins N Things is one of my favorite trails in Moab. Often we will hit at least one side of it when passing through town just because. Hell's Revenge is next door and easy to include both in a full day.

Elephant Hill is also a lot of fun, especially right before Devil's Kitchen squeeze box. If you can, snag one of the Devil's Kitchen campsites and spend the night (reserve on fed online system). Great hikes from there as well. I'd also consider exiting the park by driving south, up Bobby's Hole and into Beef Basin. You can do it as a loop from Moab in a day as well.

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
I have only done Hell's Gate once (well, twice, but they were minutes apart), sight-unseen, and managed to crawl right up it. PUCKER UP! I was in a manual 2009 JKUR with 3" lift and 35" KM2s. Broke my front driveshaft shortly after, just before the hot tubs. That was an exciting night.

It is doable though, especially if you know your vehicle.
Wow! How did you brake your drive shaft, just torque?

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Wow! How did you brake your drive shaft, just torque?
No idea what happened! Cachunk and then worse noises. The front driveshaft actually sheared the splines under the boot. I wasn't able to get it off on the trail, and it was late on a Sunday. Rest of the trail was not too bad until the end. There are a few loose and steep climbs before you get back on Sand Flats Road. Took 4 tries forward, then 2 in reverse to get up and out the worst one. Monday was Columbus day so all of the shops but 1 were closed in town. Fortunately they had a factory JKU driveshaft a customer had ordered but never picked up! Trip continued and next day we were camped in Devil's Kitchen.

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No idea what happened! Cachunk and then worse noises. The front driveshaft actually sheared the splines under the boot. I wasn't able to get it off on the trail, and it was late on a Sunday. Rest of the trail was not too bad until the end. There are a few loose and steep climbs before you get back on Sand Flats Road. Took 4 tries forward, then 2 in reverse to get up and out the worst one. Monday was Columbus day so all of the shops but 1 were closed in town. Fortunately they had a factory JKU driveshaft a customer had ordered but never picked up! Trip continued and next day we were camped in Devil's Kitchen.
WOW!!!!! That's an adventure!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you everyone for your help.
I've rescheduled my Moab trip to the first week of October. 2 days of jeeping and I'd love to acquire 4 BOH's.

Day 1: Fins & Hells
Day 2: ?? & ??

@MarkY3130 recommend the other BOH trails Poison Spider, Steel Bender, Metal Masher, Elephant Hill, Top of the World, Cliff Hanger, and Pritchett Canyon......... can any of these be paired together?

Thank you so much for your help.

RubiconRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU billet silver Rubicon
Thank you everyone for your help.
I've rescheduled my Moab trip to the first week of October. 2 days of jeeping and I'd love to acquire 4 BOH's.

Day 1: Fins & Hells
Day 2: ?? & ??

@MarkY3130 recommend the other BOH trails Poison Spider, Steel Bender, Metal Masher, Elephant Hill, Top of the World, Cliff Hanger, and Pritchett Canyon......... can any of these be paired together?

Thank you so much for your help.
Poison spider / golden spike was my favorite.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For the day two you run into proximity issues of some of the BOH trails. Top of the world is way outside of town for example. If you were up for starting early and a long day, you could probably do poison spider and steel bender the same day.

poison spider and Metal masher are favorites of mine. Not sure about doing both of those the same day due to timing though.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Hell's Revenge and Fins n Things are right next to each other and both are Badge of Honor Trails. You could do both of them in 1 day.

The other BoH trails are Poison Spider, Steel Bender, Metal Masher, Elephant Hill, Top of the World, Cliff Hanger, and Prtichett Canyon.

Due to the others not being right next to eachother, I'd recommend doing the "Triple Threat" with the other day. This would be doing Poison Spider to Golden Spike to Gold Bar Rim. Makes for a long day.
I agree. If it is your first time to Moab, do Fins & Things then Hell's Revenge, It will get you ready for the other trails so you know what to expect.

Doing Poison Spider to Golden Spike to Gold Bar Rim. Makes for a long day. Yes, it will be a long day. but you are correct probably the best combination to get the most badges in two days.

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, thank you all for your expertise.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, thank you all for your expertise.
Another note: Fins-n-Things is actually a northern and southern loop. You will drive down the road and make a right onto the southern loop. Run that and when it finishes it dumps you back on the main road and you will want to take a right and go down a bit and then make a left to do the northern (and most fun) loop.
Once you finish that you will be warmed up for Hell's Revenge and when the northern loop dumps you on the road again make a right and go back toward the entrance where you will hit Hell's Revenge.
HR is one of my favorite trails but the ending sucks balls. It's about a mile of nasty loose and bumpy rock.

Metal Masher is also a great badge trail with spectacular views and just plain awesome. It's darn near impossible to climb the Widow Maker anymore unless you have 40s and even then maybe not so if you choose to split right on the trail and do the Widow Maker you need to have full confidence in your winch... there is a winch point to get you up. If you chicken out you will need to back track to get back on the trail.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Following...

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Another note: Fins-n-Things is actually a northern and southern loop. You will drive down the road and make a right onto the southern loop. Run that and when it finishes it dumps you back on the main road and you will want to take a right and go down a bit and then make a left to do the northern (and most fun) loop.
Once you finish that you will be warmed up for Hell's Revenge and when the northern loop dumps you on the road again make a right and go back toward the entrance where you will hit Hell's Revenge.
HR is one of my favorite trails but the ending sucks balls. It's about a mile of nasty loose and bumpy rock.

Metal Masher is also a great badge trail with spectacular views and just plain awesome. It's darn near impossible to climb the Widow Maker anymore unless you have 40s and even then maybe not so if you choose to split right on the trail and do the Widow Maker you need to have full confidence in your winch... there is a winch point to get you up. If you chicken out you will need to back track to get back on the trail.
Took my current Jeep to Metal Masher last year and I had pre-decided and I was determined to do Widow Maker. Made the detour towards it feeling really good about it. Turned that last corner and saw it on my left and noped my way right out of there. That obstacle is insane. It looked tall enough to me that I didn’t think my front tires would round the lip before the Jeep was nearly vertical. I typically like to at least give the hard stuff a try, but not that wall

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Took my current Jeep to Metal Masher last year and I had pre-decided and I was determined to do Widow Maker. Made the detour towards it feeling really good about it. Turned that last corner and saw it on my left and noped my way right out of there. That obstacle is insane. It looked tall enough to me that I didn’t think my front tires would round the lip before the Jeep was nearly vertical. I typically like to at least give the hard stuff a try, but not that wall
Yeah it's pretty sick. And you are right, it's getting those front tires to hook and I just don't see it happening under 40s PLUS you are darn near vertical at that point. We winched 5 Jeeps up it when we went with no issues but being at the wheel when getting winched up is a really weird feeling.

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One more question, is it possible to do half of Poison Spider and turn off to Golden Spike in one day for 2 BOH's?
Sponsored