Sponsored

Moab Itinerary?

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm planning a 2 day ride in Moab, can someone please list the essential trails to hit in order per day? I would like to kit a couple Badge of Honor trails and other "must-do's".
- 2 jeeps are Rubi's with Mopar lift and 35's
- 1 jeep is a heavy Rubi with 4" lift and 37's

Thank you so much for your help
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hell's Revenge and Fins n Things are right next to each other and both are Badge of Honor Trails. You could do both of them in 1 day.

The other BoH trails are Poison Spider, Steel Bender, Metal Masher, Elephant Hill, Top of the World, Cliff Hanger, and Prtichett Canyon.

Due to the others not being right next to eachother, I'd recommend doing the "Triple Threat" with the other day. This would be doing Poison Spider to Golden Spike to Gold Bar Rim. Makes for a long day.

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hell's Revenge and Fins n Things are right next to each other and both are Badge of Honor Trails. You could do both of them in 1 day.

The other BoH trails are Poison Spider, Steel Bender, Metal Masher, Elephant Hill, Top of the World, Cliff Hanger, and Prtichett Canyon.

Due to the others not being right next to eachother, I'd recommend doing the "Triple Threat" with the other day. This would be doing Poison Spider to Golden Spike to Gold Bar Rim. Makes for a long day.
Great recommendation, Thank You!!!!

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

Great recommendations - would you hesitate to run any of these alone for the first time? In a built JL on 40’s and 60’s

I’m not an amateur wheeler by any means but it will be my wife and I first trip to Moab and we don’t have any Jeep friends to go with is my cause for question. She’s not an experienced spotter so anything super technical will require me getting out and self spotting to the best of my predictive abilities lol

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Great recommendations - would you hesitate to run any of these alone for the first time? In a built JL on 40’s and 60’s

I’m not an amateur wheeler by any means but it will be my wife and I first trip to Moab and we don’t have any Jeep friends to go with is my cause for question. She’s not an experienced spotter so anything super technical will require me getting out and self spotting to the best of my predictive abilities lol
For sure your Jeep can handle these trails. I wouldn't ever recommend going alone but I get that it happens and I’ve certainly done some trails by myself. Fins n things and hells revenge are so popular and so close to town that should you need help, another group of vehicles is probably just around the corner.

The triple threat gets you pretty far from civilization and is not as frequently traveled. If you have to go alone maybe do Poison Spider as it’s a loop back to where you started if you don’t jump onto the other connector trails. Steel Bender is also a loop.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP,

elephant hill is inside of CanyonLands NP (needles section) and is roughly 1.5 hours south of Moab (to the visitor center) and another 15+ minutes to get to Elephant hill trailhead. You must pay to get into CanyonLands and you must also get a day use permit for elephant hill as I understand it. The trail was closed (snow) the day I was there. Supposedly they issue 25 permits per day and “never run out”. I.e. it’s quite remote ...... I’m not a ‘badge of honor guy’ so I wasn’t planning on taking the trail and didn’t bother to discuss permits with the rangers .... if you want to do elephant hill, you may wish to call a ranger in the Needles District before going.

Fins and things has lots of people on it. I’m a newbie (mostly stock Rubicon) and found it very challenging. You will need a spotter in one or two places. Lots of folks out on the trail if you have an issue though. VERY close to town. There is an entrance fee to the Area. I don’t know how much it is.

from the builds that you list most likely you are looking for ‘difficult/technical’ trails. But, in case you are not (or you want to do a day of tough ones followed by a day of easy ones) checkout the ‘lifestyle trails AKA trails for Pusses” thread in this section. I have listed two trails outside of Moab that you might like to drive. They are very easy And have amazing scenery.
you will find the descriptions towards the end of the tread.....
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...a-“trails-for-pusses”-—-list-them-here.56846/

In addition, there is long canyon trail/road that we did not take but is also supposed to be “easy”.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm planning a 2 day ride in Moab, can someone please list the essential trails to hit in order per day? I would like to kit a couple Badge of Honor trails and other "must-do's".
- 2 jeeps are Rubi's with Mopar lift and 35's
- 1 jeep is a heavy Rubi with 4" lift and 37's

Thank you so much for your help
Everyone recommends finn's and Hells revenge but wait!!! It's November! those two trails are comprised of slick rock obstacles and if the temperatures are frosty you will be driving on sheets of ICE. The sandstone terrain will pocket moisture and it will freeze. Watch your temps and avoid those two in the morning if it is frosty.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You may have plenty of opportunity to find other jeepers while there. you can strike up a conversation with any jeeper at anytime while there and just discuss your plans. you may end up hitting the trails together. Breakfast, Gas stations, campgrounds, hotel and even the grocery store for morning supplies will offer you the perfect opportunity to meet another jeeper and strike up a conversation. I would not attempt a BOH trail by myself unless it was hell's or Finn's.

On our last trip to Moab we met with MikeAnthony from this site and we took on Top of The World. we basically drove by the seat of our pants without spotters. I got some trail damage but nothing serious. you do have to get out and confirm your line at some obstacles and TOW is not easy. I wouldn't recommend doing what we did if you don't have experience and a willingness to get banged up a little.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I think Elephant Hill is my favorite. It will require a full day because you ought to do at least one hike (an hour each). I think we started at 12:45p at trailhead, did one hour-long hike plus lunch, got finished at sunset (6:40p). An hour from Moab to the park entrance, another 30 to the trailhead.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How tough is Hell's gate? I've always wanted to conquer that, but I'm a little nervous....... actually very nervous..... with a manual tranny.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you do Finns then I recommend you hit Porcupine Rim first and then pick up Finns. Nice little pucker action there.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
....and the National Parks are not dog friendly, just know that.

OP
OP
Brew211

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you everyone!
I had to reschedule due to the rain and possible snow. I greatly appreciate everyone's advice.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
How tough is Hell's gate? I've always wanted to conquer that, but I'm a little nervous....... actually very nervous..... with a manual tranny.
I have only done Hell's Gate once (well, twice, but they were minutes apart), sight-unseen, and managed to crawl right up it. PUCKER UP! I was in a manual 2009 JKUR with 3" lift and 35" KM2s. Broke my front driveshaft shortly after, just before the hot tubs. That was an exciting night.

It is doable though, especially if you know your vehicle.
Sponsored