Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
We decided mid week last week to make a run down to Moab for a final camping trip of the year. Drove down after some meetings on Friday afternoon and got to town just after sunset. Moab was about as busy as it used to be on a high-season weekend 8-10 years ago. So not too bad?

We ran Hell's Revenge on Saturday morning, Fins n Things back to camp, then Poison Spider Mesa after lunch (getting dark as we made it back to the trailhead). Sunday was breakfast from Love Muffin before a hike and packing up camp. Dropped the camper near the 7 Mile Rim trailhead and ran that trail before picking up the trailer and heading home.

688 miles round trip. 18.9 mpg!

My wife kept teasing me about not doing Hell's Gate again. When we got to the Escalator there was a couple inspecting it and my wife teased a little more (couple sent the video). So I turned and went for it. I've never walked or looked at the line, but figured what the Hell. Getting into the second climb the rear passenger dropped into the hole and the front driver's tire just kept lifting. I couldn't turn into it because the passenger wheel was against the rock. Only option was to stay on the skinny pedal. Sure enough, it just climbed it's way right on up. Scuffed the rear passenger black fender lip and that was it! Ran into another driver on Poison Spider that had a much less enjoyable climb of the Escalator the day before that put him into a rental.

Poison Spider is another trail I've been wanting to do again for a decade or so. We had to wait for almost 20 Jeeps and Side by Sides to come down through the upper Waterfall obstacle, but that was the only real backup we ran into. Fun day but we got a little bit of a late start and it was getting dark by the time we returned to the trailhead.

Great campsite in SFRA
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab in November 2021 Nov Moab 1

Found a great campsite in SFRA
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab in November 2021 Nov Moab 2

Pretty sure this was up on Poison Spider Mesa near the overlook.
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab in November 2021 Nov Moab 3

Really like the night shots with the new Pixel 6! It was DARK!
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab in November 2021 Nov Moab 4

Really sketchy side hill on 7 Mile Rim. This pucker up anyone else?!
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab in November 2021 Nov Moab 5

Hell's Gate Escalator (unexpected)
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Wow, nice job getting back to earth there! Great shots, cool trailer, rockin beard and rockin dog, what's not to like there :)

And who needs a clean fender lol.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
What is that camper you have? I'm beginning to look for options, I want to buy something in '23. Hoping for something I can take on the trail with me but we need enough room for two adults and a 90lb dog. The teardrops might be too tight. I'm also poor, don't want to spend more than $20k but would consider it for the perfect option.

OP
OP
GearWhore

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Trailer is a 2019 Rockwood A122 ESP. I prefer the teardrops but my wife wants more space. Similar in that we have a 70 lb dog & there have been many nights too cold to leave dog in the Jeep. We'd looked at ordering starting in early 2021 but anything we were interested in was 18-24 months out & expensive. I found this locally in good condition in early May. Used 4 nights. Water tank, heater, grill, stove, microwave, all unused & still wrapped in plastic. Paid ~$14k. So far we've used it 6-7 trips & a dozen nights. Factory build quality was crap but I've fixed most of the wiring, added solar, & resealed everything.

I added a quick disconnect to the tongue jack wiring & if we're going off road I have to remove it to have some additional clearance to the spare tire. Added a pair of quick fists to the basket rail to store underway. Disconnect also ensures no neighbor kids can play w the jack (or other nefarious persons).

Really for the price, it is a great base camp to haul around. Pretty compact when hauling or parking, but just enough space for 2 w a dog. I wouldn't get a traditional pop up but the A-Frame only takes a couple minutes to set up & has insulated walls & ceilings.
Sponsored