Sponsored

MOAB Edition JL Club Thread

Figment490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, 2015 JKU Rubicon (sold)
Bought new Moab 19 over the weekend. Put 315/17/70 BF KO2 on it at discount tire. Drove all day and full flex with no rubbing. Gearing is not affected. They salesman and I measured everything without any issue and even the spare was fine. See my pics. I’m not going to get a lift. I may replace shocks but that is it.
Thanks for posting this. The KMs on my 2015 Rubicon had a good 6-9K left on them, so I had dealer swap them with the new KM2s for extra credit on my trade. Definitely planning to go with KO2s when these run down, but now highly considering 35s instead of 33s as planned. Sounds like you never really drove much on the KM2s to be able to compare the ride though?
Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Picking up my Moab tomorrow. This is a replacement vehicle for my current 2019 Sahara. My question is what are Rock

Picking up my Moab tomorrow. This is a replacement vehicle for my current 2019 Sahara. My question is what are Rock Rails and purpose as opposed to the standard steps. My dealer will replace the Rock Rails with the standard steps as well as switching my wheels with my current Sahara wheels. I have no plans to climb rocks. Thanks
I’d say don’t let the dealer take your rock rails. The ones on the Moab are better than the ones that come on Rubicons. Rock Rails are meant to protect the lower portion of the jeep sides if you were to come down on a big rock. Even though you may not use them, I’m sure you could swap them with a forum member who has steps and would love the rock rails. Or you could easily sell them and pick up a set of barely used steps, and have made money. Believe me the dealer makes out if you let them swap! Please don’t do it!

trimnabo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 moab
Thanks for posting this. The KMs on my 2015 Rubicon had a good 6-9K left on them, so I had dealer swap them with the new KM2s for extra credit on my trade. Definitely planning to go with KO2s when these run down, but now highly considering 35s instead of 33s as planned. Sounds like you never really drove much on the KM2s to be able to compare the ride though?
Yes, I drove it all weekend with factory set up. No comparison in the ride difference.

alexJL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR ordered - owned 21, 19, 14, 08
Few questions that may seem novice, but thanks in advance for any input.
RUBI VS MOAB questions.
1. Daily Driving question... Not that Wrangler speed matters, but based on gearing and whatever factors may affect this.. Does the MOAB or RUBI perform better with initial acceleration, and passing acceleration at higher freeway speeds?
2. As many people have blasted the KM2's, from MOAB owners, are they so loud it immediately makes you want to upgrade to 33" or higher KO2's?
3. If the RUBI and MOAB have the same part numbers for shocks and springs, is the only difference in height based on the difference of the 32" KM2 vs 33" KO2?
4. Would MOAB owners preferred the HIGH FENDER FLARES?

Thanks for the input!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If the Moab has the same 4.10 final drive ratio as the Rubi's, speed and acceleration will be the same. If not, the Moab will have a very slight disadvantage. Not worth sweating over unless you plan on 35s.

KM2s are louder than KO2s, but are not too bad. I lived with them for 60,000 miles on my JK. They are beasts off road. If it we're me, I'd keep them.

3. Yes.

4. You can get the high flares through Mopar, if you really want them.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, with 4.10, the Moab would be slightly quicker, due to 32s. If 3.73s, then similar, maybe slightly slower, but probably imperceptibly different.

JxRYE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ-7 Renegade, 2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
Got mine 2 weeks ago. Getting clear coated today and installing the Mopar satin black grill tonight, Will post picks when done! Congrats to all MOAB owners, Awesome looking Jeep!

20181221_211058.jpg

20181228_142109.jpg
How close is the color match to of the black grill to the bumper?

JxRYE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ-7 Renegade, 2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
RUBI VS MOAB questions.
1. Daily Driving question... Not that Wrangler speed matters, but based on gearing and whatever factors may affect this.. Does the MOAB or RUBI perform better with initial acceleration, and passing acceleration at higher freeway speeds?
2. As many people have blasted the KM2's, from MOAB owners, are they so loud it immediately makes you want to upgrade to 33" or higher KO2's?
3. If the RUBI and MOAB have the same part numbers for shocks and springs, is the only difference in height based on the difference of the 32" KM2 vs 33" KO2?

Thanks for the input!
1) You really won't notice much difference in the acceleration, but in theory the Rubicon should be slower with the lower gear ratios. MOAB/Sahara is geared more for the daily driver. You will notice the Sahara/MOAB have a smoother more comfortable ride.
2) The tires are not that loud, but are noticeable at highways speed if you are riding in a silent car. Turn the music on and you really can't hear them. Problem with "mud tires" is that they wear down a lot faster than the all-terrains. Happy to sell you my wheels with tires and TPSM (took them off before my first gas tank refil).
3) I am not sure there really is much of a height difference between the two, other than the slight tire difference. MOAB 255/75r17 calculates to 32.045 inches and rubicon 285/70r17 measures to 32.708 (actuals probably vary a little)
4) The only reason to have the higher flairs is if you want the 35 inch tires without a lift. If you are going for a lift there is no reason for the larger flairs unless you want to re-gear your rig and add 37s. My current understanding is that you should not go to 37s with the moab's gearing.

Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubi
RUBI VS MOAB questions.

Thanks for the input!
@alexJL
1. It's a big box on wheels, any benefit one has over the other is negligible... both perform similarly. I have driven a Sahara and own a Rubi.. I can't tell the difference in passing nor acceleration.
2. I've owned two JK Rubi's that came with the KM2s... they start off life quiet, but a few hundred miles they howl like a horny wolf. Hated the noise. That said, off-road, they were great. In snow as well. I have K02's on my JL and they are night and day. Much more quiet, very complaint and, so far, very good off-road and in snow. If you spend a lot of time on the tarmac, this is the best tire for the Wrangler (IMHO). There's a ton of rubi take-offs in the classified... if you wanted the rubi wheel color. You could easily sell your take-offs should you want to go in that direction.
3. Same suspension with exception of electronic sway disconnect. Tire ~1" diameter difference. And the Rubi runs higher fender flares for better articulation/clearance should you run a 35" with no lift... which is what I run.
4. Best that Moab owners give their opinion.

Sponsored

trimnabo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 moab
AE37217B-A404-4A0D-AE14-CFD41A82999C.jpeg
do you know if you put a lift on if you would need wheel spacers?
I wouldn’t have to but I really don’t think the lift is necessary. I am going to go with a better
@alexJL
1. It's a big box on wheels, any benefit one has over the other is negligible... both perform similarly. I have driven a Sahara and own a Rubi.. I can't tell the difference in passing nor acceleration.
2. I've owned two JK Rubi's that came with the KM2s... they start off life quiet, but a few hundred miles they howl like a horny wolf. Hated the noise. That said, off-road, they were great. In snow as well. I have K02's on my JL and they are night and day. Much more quiet, very complaint and, so far, very good off-road and in snow. If you spend a lot of time on the tarmac, this is the best tire for the Wrangler (IMHO). There's a ton of rubi take-offs in the classified... if you wanted the rubi wheel color. You could easily sell your take-offs should you want to go in that direction.
3. Same suspension with exception of electronic sway disconnect. Tire ~1" diameter difference. And the Rubi runs higher fender flares for better articulation/clearance should you run a 35" with no lift... which is what I run.
4. Best that Moab owners give their opinion.

Cheff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JL Moab
Picked my 2019 Moab up today from Mike Knight at Suresky (5% under invoice). The entire experience with Mike from beginning to end was great. Everything done by email and pick up was just paying and getting a vehicle walkthrough from Rob (also great). Very happy with my new jeep!

D577AA75-01A5-4E3C-A4A1-AC2E3DCD40CB.jpeg

02AD37A9-93B2-433D-96C2-9FF0A64E5A26.jpeg

D6429A7D-CE8A-4504-AC95-B7322E04E175.jpeg

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Moab
Picked my 2019 Moab up today from Mike Knight at Suresky (5% under invoice). The entire experience with Mike from beginning to end was great. Everything done by email and pick up was just paying and getting a vehicle walkthrough from Rob (also great). Very happy with my new jeep!

Congrats! Enjoy the Jeep. It looks awesome!

JLmoab19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB

Looks great. Congrats.

Why would a dealer sell you a Jeep at 5% under invoice on a 2019 special edition JL? Invoice less holdback is cost, right?So why sell below that? Seems too good to be true.
Sponsored