First Name
Teneski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Unlimited Mojito MOAB
Occupation
Entreperneur
I really like that look Jack. Do you like the badland winch? Have you had to use it any? I appreciate the pictures and info. Chris
Sponsored

Megalodon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Jeep, 2500 dodge, ctsv cad, corolla toy, sportster HD
I really like that look Jack. Do you like the badland winch? Have you had to use it any? I appreciate the pictures and info. Chris
Chris I just installed it and have only used it to pull jeep up a hill to tighten the rope. I will be using it soon to relocate a tractor in my yard. I think you can make any brand winch fit in the bumper. I didn't want to see it so I relocated the control box under the hood. It's more work that way because you have to make cables, But on the plus side I don't have power going to the front unless I'm using the winch. No need for a disconnect switch.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Question for the thread..... I know some of you have posted about their winch installs before. Who has installed a winch using the stock steel front bumper and what winch and mounting plate did you select and why. Looking for two key points: American made and a very low profile design like I have seen with some Warn installations. If you got to do it again, what would you do differently the second time around? Thanks
I have the same question. There are so many options. I am leaning towards a Warn 10s Zeon but not sure if I should go with the Warn plate or another brand winch plate. In the end I would like to have the best clearance as well as strength. This install is far different than my TJ which has a wide open bumper and almost any application would work. The JL seems a bit more limited with space when using the stock bumper. Open to any recommendations. Thanks in advance-

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
FYI, despite the fact that I run Ridge Grapplers on my JKU (& like them), my tire guy talked me out of them this morning for my JLU. We were discussing the new TOYO Open Country AT3 for my Ranger and he suggested that that would be a better overall tire for the JLU, as well, especially as he thought the Mrs would like it better in the winter as the tire is Three-Peak Mountain Snow rated. He said he had been getting complaints about the Ridge Grappler over this past winter for its lack of ice and snow merits, although I had no real problems. But since I’m willing to try new stuff, I ordered five of the TOYOs in P285/70R17 and will give them a shot. Besides, they cost less than the Nitto’s and only weigh 46 lbs, which is actually about (3) three pounds less than the RGs and (9) nine pounds less than the factory KM2s.
I'm ordering a set of 5 of the AT3's tomorrow. 35x12.5R17 "E"rated. All reviews look great!

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
I'm ordering a set of 5 of the AT3's tomorrow. 35x12.5R17 "E"rated. All reviews look great!
Yep, sounds like they corrected some of the deficiencies identified in the OC AT2. Like what I hear and read, as well, so full speed ahead!

They just arrived (along with the wheels in the boxes) and are scheduled to go on Friday morning. Will post occasional updates and I would be curious to see how your “E” tires respond, too.

Steve

P.S. FWIW, I bought mine at “Simple Tire” for the best price I could find anywhere

Jeep Wrangler JL MOAB Edition JL Club Thread 08958379-A93F-4527-918B-77715C59995A

Sponsored

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
I have the same question. There are so many options. I am leaning towards a Warn 10s Zeon but not sure if I should go with the Warn plate or another brand winch plate. In the end I would like to have the best clearance as well as strength. This install is far different than my TJ which has a wide open bumper and almost any application would work. The JL seems a bit more limited with space when using the stock bumper. Open to any recommendations. Thanks in advance-

Count me in as curious, too. I am looking at the American Trail Products Winch Mount Plate (36180001) made in the U.S.A. and only weighing 22 pounds (I watch the weight of every item I install on my Jeep, but still want a quality product). Presently on sale for $199. Anyone have any experience with this product or this company in general? Anyone vouch for Quadratec “Q” series winches (particularly the Q-Performance Stealth Winch 10,000 lbs with synthetic rope?). Thanks

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Count me in as curious, too. I am looking at the American Trail Products Winch Mount Plate (36180001) made in the U.S.A. and only weighing 22 pounds (I watch the weight of every item I install on my Jeep, but still want a quality product). Presently on sale for $199. Anyone have any experience with this product or this company in general? Anyone vouch for Quadratec “Q” series winches (particularly the Q-Performance Stealth Winch 10,000 lbs with synthetic rope?). Thanks
I don't know if this helps, but I have learned the hard way (more than once) that the old adage, "You get what you pay for" is true in most cases. In my case I have a Quadratec winch, and it works fine but it is on my TJ base model "X" which I paid 15k for. On my MOAB which is probably valued at over 3 times what my TJ is, I think I am going to invest in a WARN winch, likely the 10s Zeon. They seem to be a good reliable brand, and are made in the USA. My bigger decision is which winch plate to go with. Normally it wouldn't be that difficult-but since I am keeping the factory steel bumper, there is a lot to consider when it comes to installation and fit. In this regard, cost is not a factor (at least for me). It is more important that it fits well, and has a good design. I see that the fit of the winch is so tight that it makes it difficult to shoe horn it in, and once located I have read about complaints relating to the winch being to high or too close to the grill. Much of this has to do with the winch plate itself. I am still trying to sort out everything that I have read, since I will be doing the install myself.

There are a number of factors to my decision (Made in the USA, Value of the vehicle itself), but in the end that is the best part able Jeep ownership-its yours and you get to accessorize it however you and your pocket book see fit! I always look for a deal, but after the initial investment in my MOAB, I hate to cut corners when I don't need to. So If you want my opinion, the Quadratec winch in fine, but a warn might be better suited to your MOAB and its place in the Wrangler line up.

By the way, I have been following this thread, and congrats on your MOAB. That was indeed a great find in a really nice color.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
There are a number of factors to my decision (Made in the USA, Value of the vehicle itself), but in the end that is the best part able Jeep ownership-its yours and you get to accessorize it however you and your pocket book see fit! I always look for a deal, but after the initial investment in my MOAB, I hate to cut corners when I don't need to. So If you want my opinion, the Quadratec winch in fine, but a warn might be better suited to your MOAB and its place in the Wrangler line up.

By the way, I have been following this thread, and congrats on your MOAB. That was indeed a great find in a really nice color.
Thanks, David. Of course the deal of the month (the year?) had to have been in California! I would have preferred to have flown out and then driven back, but given our existing world circumstances and my work, it was just not possible. I love hanging in CA (I used to have sort of an office in LA and have spent quite a bit of time on Coronado, as well). When the world ‘re-opens,’ I will return.

I, too, try to walk that fine line and balance between cost and quality. I really should say, cost, quality, and weight (and safety!). On my two existing Jeeps, I run the Warn Power Plant (9.5) because I like the Warn quality and the PP features. I know I have been harping about weight, but it is an important factor and can really change the dynamics of these Wranglers. Given the PP weighs 100 pounds or better (and won’t fit the MOAB bumper), I have decided to “downsize” this time around and although I like the Zeon, I guess my question was really whether it was worth the extra money over the Quad (the proverbial ‘cost benefit’ analysis). And, again, extra weight.

But I certainly agree, you get what you pay for, which is why every part and every mod on all of my Jeeps, from the AEV lift right down to the 15” radio antenna, and everything in between, is carefully analyzed and evaluated before purchasing to ensure cost, fit, function, features, performance, reliability, etc., is appropriate, that safety is not compromised, and the product’s use does not generally run counter to “industry recommendations” (which often includes the invaluable input of the users on this forum). And, of course, the final cosmetic check on the MOAB: it must be approved by the War Department.

Even with the terrific deal I managed on this Jeep, it is still the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought. And, frankly, for a toy. Like you, I am always looking for a deal, but will spend whatever it takes to ensure “the right product for the right purpose.” And “Thank you” for your recommendation on the Warn. Please keep all of us informed as to what solutions you reach on the winch and winch plate. I am keeping the steel front bumper, but dumping the wheels, tires, and rock rails (the rails replaced with steps because the Mrs is short and has to be able to get in it to drive it, so she tells me). Best of luck.

Be safe, stay healthy...

Steve

Ed Teach

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Moab
Occupation
Retired LEO
Wheels (17") & tires (35") are on! Now all I need to figure out is if I'm going to put a level kit on it? If so, how many inches? Do I need to get running boards with side steps? Feel free to give any input!!
Looks great! How are you liking it so far? Does it rub at all? I am about to take a trip across a few states and debating on throwing on some 315/70r17 KO2s so I don't have to deal with the noise on the stock KM3s. If I don't have to do the lift of spacers right away I may do it in a few months.

Sponsored

gogetgriff

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Moab (Ocean Blue)
Looks great! How are you liking it so far? Does it rub at all? I am about to take a trip across a few states and debating on throwing on some 315/70r17 KO2s so I don't have to deal with the noise on the stock KM3s. If I don't have to do the lift of spacers right away I may do it in a few months.
Honestly, it’s perfect. The tires are so much more quiet and smooth. I have ZERO run and the spare honestly fits perfect. I turned the parking sensors off so that problem is solved lol.

I highly recommend!

Ed Teach

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Moab
Occupation
Retired LEO
Honestly, it’s perfect. The tires are so much more quiet and smooth. I have ZERO run and the spare honestly fits perfect. I turned the parking sensors off so that problem is solved lol.

I highly recommend!

I didn't even think about the parking sensor.. I wonder if that would be a problem on stock wheels or if that is just because you went a little wider.

gogetgriff

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Moab (Ocean Blue)
I didn't even think about the parking sensor.. I wonder if that would be a problem on stock wheels or if that is just because you went a little wider.
Stock wheels are just so loud and rough. I don’t really need sensors for anything regardless :)

Ed Teach

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Moab
Occupation
Retired LEO
Stock wheels are just so loud and rough. I don’t really need sensors for anything regardless :)
Well my wife drives the Jeep occasionally and she definitely needs sensors. Hahahah and just to confirm, you used the stock spare tire bracket? No alterations to it?

gogetgriff

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Moab (Ocean Blue)
Well my wife drives the Jeep occasionally and she definitely needs sensors. Hahahah and just to confirm, you used the stock spare tire bracket? No alterations to it?
No alterations! If you come up with a solve let me know! I’d be interested
Sponsored