Sponsored

Moab Bound on Sunday!! Who wants to show me around?

drippy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 Toyota Highlander, 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
Headed from Chicago out to do a 3 day gravel grinder bike ride from Grand Junction, CO to Moab, UT. Planning to hang in Moab on from Sunday until Tuesday morning. Looking at doing Chicken Corners and maybe Find and Things. I have a stock '18 JLUR. Meeting friends who might rent a Jeep to go with. I have a little Midwest off roading experience. More important thing is while this is our car, it's my wife's. She isn't going on the trip, and really wants me to not screw up the Jeep. So nothing too crazy for me and life will be good. Anyone have recommendations for 1 good day of wheeling in Moab? Anyone available or in town and want to go with us? Thanks!
Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Just got back from Moab. If you’re looking to do a little wheeling without getting too crazy, I’d do Fins and Things and Hell’s Revenge. Both are iconic slick rock type trails and are located right next to each other just outside of town so you won’t spend a bunch of time driving. Fins is tame and you can pretty much bypass all the difficult obstacles on Hell’s. Both are also pretty popular so there should be other folks around if you end up having to go it alone. Get an early start so you’re not rushed and can spend some time watching others attempt the hard stuff. Have fun!

konakona

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSD
Build Thread
Link
For one good day I suggest doing fins and hells, you’re paying to get in so do both. I would suggest doing fins first to adjust yourself. Hells in the beginning can look scary if you’re afraid of heights.

A fairly relaxing trail near arches park is 7 mile rim this one is tame and you get a nice view.

If you want advice and suggestions from locals Qutlaw Jeep rentals in town are happy to help and give you suggestions and great details of trails. When we went out to Moab our air bnb was next to the home of the guys from outlaw they were happy to talk to us even tho we didn’t rent a Jeep. I mean who better to ask about Moab trails than locals especially ones that offer tours and drive the trails daily.

Now not to give you overconfident but your JL is very capable. Last time I went I was in a locked JKU with 2.5 lift and 35s my friend followed me in a JT sport still on temps with a 2.5 lift and stock 31s. He followed me with no issues on elephant hill and Moab rim. Granted I had to stack rocks for him in areas (this happened a lot coming back down from top of the world) but a JT has a ton of over hang in the rear (departure angle). Just remember at the end of the day you have to drive it home.

Have fun moab is very fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP

drippy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For one good day I suggest doing fins and hells, you’re paying to get in so do both. I would suggest doing fins first to adjust yourself. Hells in the beginning can look scary if you’re afraid of heights.

A fairly relaxing trail near arches park is 7 mile rim this one is tame and you get a nice view.

If you want advice and suggestions from locals Qutlaw Jeep rentals in town are happy to help and give you suggestions and great details of trails. When we went out to Moab our air bnb was next to the home of the guys from outlaw they were happy to talk to us even tho we didn’t rent a Jeep. I mean who better to ask about Moab trails than locals especially ones that offer tours and drive the trails daily.

Now not to give you overconfident but your JL is very capable. Last time I went I was in a locked JKU with 2.5 lift and 35s my friend followed me in a JT sport still on temps with a 2.5 lift and stock 31s. He followed me with no issues on elephant hill and Moab rim. Granted I had to stack rocks for him in areas (this happened a lot coming back down from top of the world) but a JT has a ton of over hang in the rear (departure angle). Just remember at the end of the day you have to drive it home.

Have fun moab is very fun.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Jeep trail app and didn't notice anything about paying? Is it in one of the state or national parks? Something I get in advance or day of?

konakona

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSD
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Jeep trail app and didn't notice anything about paying? Is it in one of the state or national parks? Something I get in advance or day of?
You can pay when you pull up to the entrance it’s $5 per vehicle

If you want to visit arches national park or say canyon lands national park (elephant hill is here) you also need to pay to get into these areas for national parks you can pay per park or you can get the America is beautiful pass and enter all of them. For hells and fins this pass will not work. If you want to visit other areas like Zion etc this pass is useful. Also for elephant hill you need to apply for permit for that day since there is a limit this permit is free. You can go onto canyon land site to get this permit for the day or wait until you get there but there is no cell service at least for Verizon there isn’t so you have to connect to wifi at visitor center to do this if you wait to get there. They just want to keep track how many people go in

if you want info on trails you can use jeeptheusa.com

I sometimes use gpx on there as guidance as well imported to my Gaia app and I use onX as a backup.

Again I do suggest trying out 7mile rim as it’s a trail with a great view and in the middle of trail there is uranium arch too
Jeep Wrangler JL Moab Bound on Sunday!! Who wants to show me around? ADA45FA3-B3C0-4E85-87AE-D4D891EDDB9C

I’ve done a lot of trails in Moab including what is consider hard trails like Pritchett canyon and I can say my favorite 2 are hells revenge and fins and things. To explain those 2 is like comparing it to an amusement park but they do get busy and a lot of people that rent jeeps out there go to those 2. Plus it’s practically in town.

Another popular trail is top of the world. This is the one you see a lot of videos and pics taken at. About 1.5 miles from the top there’s a fork that splits left and right. Although they both go to the same area, when going up stay to the right unless you have lockers and a good spotter. The right side you can do in a stock JL but left is a bit more challenging. Pick that same way down if you decide to do this trail

Last edited:
OP
OP

drippy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just about into town! Stopped in Grand Junction for lunch. May hit something up later today.
Sponsored