cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Bump.

Reminder, we have until this Friday to send thoughts to BLM.

Regardless of your opinion on the best option, this is one of the few opportunities the community has to have their voices heard.

BLM is federal, this isn't just for Moab locals. This and future changes can have impacts across other locations we love to Jeep.

Interestingly, we're currently exploring Wyoming, and the BLM lands here (Red Desert) are in a different fight of their own. If any one is curious: https://reddesert.org/
If I were you, I'd contact Rory, MORR, Fab Rats and Robbie Layton. They live near moab and trail closures would directly effect their livelihood. Plus they have tons of followers that they can reach with a simple 5 minute video.
Sponsored

dreep jeemin

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5
Occupation
Professional Irritant
Has there been a formal decision made? I'm not seeing anything upon (an admittedly superficial) Google search.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Has there been a formal decision made? I'm not seeing anything upon (an admittedly superficial) Google search.
I know the deadline got extended. Haven’t heard the answere

OP
OP
Rubi SoHo

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Pretty sure red rock 4wheelers is reasonably happy with this outcome. SUWA didn’t get every closure they wanted, and nobody expected the BLM to do “nothing” since they never do.

They have funds set aside for legal challenges to this sort of thing, and the next step is to take this to the courts.

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I don’t totally disagree with you. With the increased use of these trails, things will need to change, and some closures may be necessary; That’s just the name of the game unfortunately, especially with all the knuckleheads who suddenly found off roading can’t respect the land.
However- there is a difference between preservation and straight up exceptionalism/ fanaticism. Go check the mission statements of some of the big anti-access groups: Sierra Club, The Nature Conservancy, etc. Look up the actual designation for “Forever Wild” land.

(Disclaimer: this is not an anti-government rant)
I live in the Northeast. I grew up on ATV’S. I’ve been active in organized off roading since 1989. I have had various family and friends involved in pro-access orgs across NYS including the NYS trails council. I worked closely with members of my Jeep club on land use issues for 4x4’s since I started wheeling in 2005. I’ve seen countless friends and family members try to work toward a mutual, managed access solution, pour in countless hours and raise money for various trail funds, only to have the program get shut down one way or another, and that money funneled into a “general fund“ and basically raided at the end of the fiscal year for pet projects of politically connected people. This has been going on since the 1970’s. Both parties are locked by lobbyists from anti-access groups like The Sierra Club, the Nature Conservancy, and regulated with an iron fist by agencies like the Adirondack Park Agency. Despite local support from both citizens and politicians- the plans always get shutdown when they go to the state level for approval. Hell, several years back NYS was on the verge of passing a state funded trail system in the Adirondacks, but it was shot down. Reason: several reps from NYC/ Long Island voted it down because it “allowed too much acces for their liking.” No other reasoning. No evidence. No environmental impact studies. No local opposition.
This is why we have virtually no public motorized or multi-use trails open to Jeeps/4x4’s in NYS. The trails we did have, have gotten shutdown thanks to local hillbillies smashing beers and tearing them up, causing complaints from neighbors and liability issues for the towns. The local municipality then decides to relinquish control of the road to the state, and the state closes them. The only trails we have left in NYS are on private property. Surrounding states have had very similar issues.
However- In recent years there have been several high profile trails in my area that have successfully achieved a managed access solution thanks to the tireless work of several groups establishing a good working relationship with local DEC/DEP offices, and showing the positive impact and support of OHV users and tourism on the surrounding areas. My hope Is that with time, and mounting support- we may actually be able to get some sort of public land use/ managed access agreement.
This is why it is so important to oppose restrictive closures like the ones proposed in Moab. And that’s what I’m referring to when I say “some people truly believe they’re saving the world”.
There’s a big difference between enforcing regulations for clean air and water, and safe working conditions, consumer protections, etc; and proposing overly restrictive measures to close one of the main avenues of tourism that helped build an entire area and still attracts people from around the world.
Again, I’m not disagreeing with you- something needs to be done. But to think there aren’t forces out there with their own agenda is naive at best.

Exactly. Compromise will be best for everyone involved. Fingers crossed that’s what we actually get.
I would like to see some USE numbers at Moab. From what I have been told USe is down.

When I was going to Moab EJS would see 5-7 thousand Jeepers and I understand they are not hitting those numbers.

Issues: We shared trails with hikers and bicycles and I can assure you hardly any of them said 'hey nice Jeep". There was a lot of animosity in the air. Then the ATV crowd showed up and now we have 4 groups using the trails.

The hikers grumbled they could not walk in the middle of the trail.

Bicycle folks did not like waiting on Jeepers.

ATV guys were trail stoppers, either broken on the trail or just could not make it up and over and tore things up going around when they could not.

What has happened is other NON-JEEPERS began showing up in Moab. That ahs turned into a diaster...Youtube if full of non Jeeps struggling to get thru Mikey's Hot Tiub and other struggling at Hells Revenge and Hells Gate.

Now we got the NON-Tread Lightly crowd, even saw a Youtube with some guy in a Rolls Royce in Moab.

I think what has happened is the WORLD has discovered Moab and they don't belong there!

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Wouldn't a permit system be the answer here?
In other words, if I want to go backpacking in Desolation wilderness (Tahoe National Forest) or the Lost Coast Trail (BLM operated King Range) I need to first obtain a permit months in advance. This is supposedly to keep the wilderness "wild" by reducing the number of concurrent users on the public land.
Reducing the numbers would reduce the conflicts. And why restrict one group only by prohibiting them? Would be much more equitable for everyone including those who's livelihood is driven by tourism.
Sponsored