Missing locking lug nut

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Went to get into my truck this morning and noticed that one of my locking lug nuts was totally missing. When I bought my truck I got a set of four locking lug nuts(one for each wheel) and they gave me the 4 normal lug nuts that they pulled off. So I took one of the 4 spare lug nuts they gave me and put it on that wheel. Went back to the dealership where I got my truck from and now I have 4 new lock nuts that match the new lug nut key that I have.

The service guy told me that they can not put these lock nuts on with an impact gun as it could break the lock nut key, makes perfect sense. They can only hand tighten them on with a normal tire lug wrench. The main reason I make a post about this is that if you have a lock nut on each wheel then I highly recommend that you carry one or two spare normal lug nuts in your glove box as I can see this happening to many other trucks with lock nuts that are not installed firmly with an impact wrench but are instead hand tightened with a normal lug nut wrench.
Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
They could be torqued down with a manual torque wrench, this should prevent them from coming off.
Cheers

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
They tell me that they always use a torque wrench on the luck nuts.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
They tell me that they always use a torque wrench on the luck nuts.
Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they torqued it to the proper spec.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
That’s true. But just for safety I carry a couple of extra normal lug nuts in case this ever happens again. And I always carry a battery powered impact wrench in my underseat lock box.

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I'm guessing they just forgot to torque them with the hand wrench after they did all the others with the impact. Crazy how dealership techs make mistakes on so many things.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Went to get into my truck this morning and noticed...
Just pulled the rims off my Overland this weekend to install a lift and the locking lugs were little more than thumb tight. My guess is the dealer had a lot detailer do the add on during intake/detail and didn't do a good job. All regular lugs were difficult to break free and were likely torqued to spec at the plant. I would go back to the dealership and have them give you a new set and make sure they are torqued properly. If they give you a hard time, hammer them on how dangerous their poor installation was. Good luck.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
It’s actually all good now. They had another lug key that matched my other 3 locking lug nuts. And they told me that they torqued them properly since you should not use an impact wrench on locking lug nuts. And to check their work I immediately took my truck to a local tire shop and they checked all 4 of my lock nuts and they all have the proper torque to them. Rather strange but I now carry some extra lug nuts and a battery powered impact wrench and 2 charged battery packs.
Sponsored