Sponsored

Missing ESS Battery……. WTH??????

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thank you, I can use all the luck i can get, will let you know what they come up on the load test when I take the battery in tomorrow. I do have rock slide engineering, power steps on there and there’s a few people that say those things drain the battery…… I have no idea about that being a fact or not though.
I doubt it. I have the Aries side steps (same control/motor system afaik, just bulkier and not meant for off road use). They do not drain the battery in any appreciable way. I had my Jeep sit parked in my garage for a couple weeks when I was on vacation and it fired right up without any sign of a low battery when I got back home.

The only time I've had a low battery was when I moved it in and out of the garage a few times over the course of a weekend and then jump started a friend's car, and never let the engine run for a while to recharge the battery lol. It was still just enough to get it started.
Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Is it a 3.6L with an automatic? If so it has etorque. There is a big 48v battery pack opposite the gas tank on the drivers side.
Late build 2021 2dr 3.6l auto. No Etorque. At the time, most 2dr inventory in the area was 4cyl turbo. Ours was the only 2dr 3.6 auto around.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I don't believe anyone has suggested this yet. Make sure all of the fuses are pushed in, completely. These Wranglers are notorious for the fuses to come loose, and create electrical issues.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If it were me, I'd read a bit about safety around hybrid/electric vehicles before doing any more than what you have done. That battery pack looks like it'd light you up.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Honestly, in my opinion which may be too late as of this posting, would be to take it into the dealer. I believe it should still all be under warranty. You paid a good chunk of change for this vehicle, let them fix/diagnose it. I doubt the battery at 9 months is failing but I could be wrong. Let them figure it out.

Sponsored

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2019 2.0L E-Torque. Last week I started getting the “Aux Switches Temporarily Unavailable Battery Charging“ message upon start up. After reading multiple threads on this topic, I checked the build sheet using my VIN. There was no listing of any AUX battery.
looked underneath and found the long skid plate box for the 48v Aux battery, including the cooling lines.

Took it to a very reputable local shop, as I don’t trust a dealer who cannot complete an oil change correctly. Upon arrival to the shop, the owner told me he had already ordered the 48v battery and the main battery to be delivered that morning. He called me when it was ready, telling me he dropped the box for the 48v battery and it was empty. No Aux battery behind the right front fender either. 🤷‍♂️

FCA seems to have installed a variety of battery configurations with these E-Torques. Very confusing. I would have questioned this discovery further, but it coincides with the sticker and build sheet. I ordered this Jeep new from the factory and have not had battery issues after nearly 4 years of driving It.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Less than 6000 miles and the vehicle is down... Not because of a blown engine, or transmission...but a battery. Another great example of why the push to all electric won't work. I swear batteries are becoming less dependable and less durable than when I was a kid... And we're supposed to transition to ALL BATTERY?! LOL

I'd rather switch to steam power than hybrid/electric.

@KHR Racing please keep us posted on how this gets resolved ex: how long it takes to get a replacement battery, how much it would cost (for those of us out of warranty) ect.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have a 2019 2.0L E-Torque. Last week I started getting the “Aux Switches Temporarily Unavailable Battery Charging“ message upon start up. After reading multiple threads on this topic, I checked the build sheet using my VIN. There was no listing of any AUX battery.
looked underneath and found the long skid plate box for the 48v Aux battery, including the cooling lines.

Took it to a very reputable local shop, as I don’t trust a dealer who cannot complete an oil change correctly. Upon arrival to the shop, the owner told me he had already ordered the 48v battery and the main battery to be delivered that morning. He called me when it was ready, telling me he dropped the box for the 48v battery and it was empty. No Aux battery behind the right front fender either. 🤷‍♂️

FCA seems to have installed a variety of battery configurations with these E-Torques. Very confusing. I would have questioned this discovery further, but it coincides with the sticker and build sheet. I ordered this Jeep new from the factory and have not had battery issues after nearly 4 years of driving It.
More on this, please. Missing 48v battery, empty cradle ?
The cost to replace this, outside of Warranty, is high. You have a Federal Emissions Warranty of 8 years,80,000 miles. Was this expense going to be on you, or Factory ?
Are 48v batteries joining Cats in theft popularity ?

OP
OP

KHR Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Wrangler
Less than 6000 miles and the vehicle is down... Not because of a blown engine, or transmission...but a battery. Another great example of why the push to all electric won't work. I swear batteries are becoming less dependable and less durable than when I was a kid... And we're supposed to transition to ALL BATTERY?! LOL

I'd rather switch to steam power than hybrid/electric.

@KHR Racing please keep us posted on how this gets resolved ex: how long it takes to get a replacement battery, how much it would cost (for those of us out of warranty) ect.
Today I’m going to take the factory battery into two shops, (O’Reilly’s and AutoZone) because it’s already out of the jeep right now to have them do a load test. Maybe buy an odyssey battery and put it in today or this week if I cannot buy find one today. I’ll play it by ear to make a first step of just replacing the battery. A odyssey battery from Amazon takes almost a week to get so I’ll decide that today, but first testing the factory battery. I do not want to waste time going to the dealer just yet.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
More on this, please. Missing 48v battery, empty cradle ?
The cost to replace this, outside of Warranty, is high. You have a Federal Emissions Warranty of 8 years,80,000 miles. Was this expense going to be on you, or Factory ?
Are 48v batteries joining Cats in theft popularity ?
Maybe another case of supply line shortages? Maybe they came up with a "deliver short" procedure?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Today I’m going to take the factory battery in cause it’s out of the jeep right now to a couple of the auto parts stores to have them do a load test. Maybe buy an odyssey battery and put it in today or this week if I cannot buy one today. We’ll play it by ear to make a first step of just replacing the battery to order. A odyssey battery from Amazon takes almost a week I will decide today, but first testing the factory battery. I do not want to waste time going to the dealer just yet.
Call these guys to see if they have them in stock. They're in Corona.
West Coast Batteries (westcoastbatteriesinc.com)

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door

There aren't a variety of configurations for eTorque. All eTorques have the main battery and the 48v underneath the Jeep. That's it. Any other configuration is not eTorque.
This shop was able to order the 48v battery? And get it next day? That doesn't sound right with parts shortages these days and that battery being a high ticket item. I would be surprised if a dealer even had one in stock. You certainly can't get one from an autoparts store. That would also be a very expensive battery to replace out of warranty.
They have an 8 year warranty, if there is something wrong with it, take it to the dealer.

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i

If the 48 volt battery was missing, your 2.0 E-torque would never have operated from the factory. Something is massively BS about this post. If you really bought a new 48 volt battery, you got taken to the cleaners big time. 48 volt battery is $1200 and no way it was missing.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2022 JLU Sport S
Is it a 3.6L with an automatic? If so it has etorque. There is a big 48v battery pack opposite the gas tank on the drivers side.
Our 2022 JLU Sport S, built in February 2022 has the 3.6L upg1 engine and automatic transmission.- NOT the eTorque...

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I wouldn’t mess around with E torque under warranty! We’re not talking about a conventional system here. Plus you’re under warranty. Once you start doing O’Reilly auto zone stuff the dealer will freak out and could possibly void your warranty. E torque is no joke. There’s a generator, cooling systems and a expensive 48V battery Involved.
Sponsored