Miss for the Mountains

Jhai

First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL
Hi everyone first post!!!
Just moved to the Boulder area earlier in the year and just took delivery of a 21 Rubicon JL. 4dr, manual transmission. Already had a mopar 2” lift, 37” tires, regeared to 5.13, Borla ATAK Axle-Back Exhaust with Ceramic Black Tips…. Love the car.

My question is I drive up to Breckinridge almost weekly and the car does loose power due to the altitude. The reheating really helped as did the exhaust. Nervous with a cold air intake as the dealer shared that they get numerous check engine light issues with aftermarket air intakes.

so my question is what other mods can I make to get better performance I’m the mountains in 10,000’?

154C164A-8986-4797-A752-A0A3FFFC61FC.jpeg

2B957D71-997A-44C3-A83B-8751BEC8FBDD.jpeg

75979A73-6EE2-4A84-B471-271D206E4412.jpeg
Advertisement

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Website
redstoneglass.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
As a new JL owner you should understand that Jeep is NOT a car. So don't call it that again, understand? ;)

What engine do you have? A turbo would certainly help at those altitudes. With the regearing the additional weight of the wheel & tire combo should be overcome.

So a cold air intake, maybe a programmer and custom tune, would help.

InvertedLogic

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
What issue are you having on I70? I don't have 37s, but my Gladiator Rubicon passes just fine with 4.10s and 35s and has no issues doing the speed limit or faster all the way to UT

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Playing in the cloud
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the new Jeep!

Are you downshifting? To what gear? I’m on 35s and stock 4.10 and sometimes even on tiny Michigan hills I need to go down to 4th gear to stay at a reasonable speed. It’s worse at elevation.

OP
OP

Jhai

First Name
Justin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL
Ooooops. Definitely won’t slip on the Jeep car vernacular again. Haha. Thanks for the comments, education and support.

I have the 3.6L. On i70 heading towards the tunnel I have to down gear to third. Defiant was an issue before regearing and significantly better now but wondering what else I would go to.

there is a huge noticeable difference between boulders 5,000’ and Breckenridge’s 10,000’. I’m interested in towing a boat but not sure I’ll make it.

Sounds like options are
- cold air intake
- customer tuning
- Super charger

Does that sound right?

InvertedLogic

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Sounds about right.

However, if its still accelerating in 3rd, I don't see the issue per se. To the tunnel, my 8AT holds somewhere around 4000rpm at 70mph all the way up and I don't sweat it. My old TJ couldn't get past 60mph on that hill no matter what gear I was in and WOT :CWL:

kelvinator

First Name
Kelvin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
A fourth option could be to remove your mods and go back to the OEM configuration, if feasible.

I have the 2020 JLUR with 3.6L automatic, 35" tires, and a couple hundred lbs. of armor and wheel around Breckenridge and central CO with no loss of power. I topped Mosquito pass on Sunday at 13,100' with no issues. I share this to let you know that the factory setup is great at high altitude even with extra weight. I think one of your mods isn't playing nice, but which one?

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Ooooops. Definitely won’t slip on the Jeep car vernacular again. Haha. Thanks for the comments, education and support.

I have the 3.6L. On i70 heading towards the tunnel I have to down gear to third. Defiant was an issue before regearing and significantly better now but wondering what else I would go to.

there is a huge noticeable difference between boulders 5,000’ and Breckenridge’s 10,000’. I’m interested in towing a boat but not sure I’ll make it.

Sounds like options are
- cold air intake
- customer tuning
- Super charger

Does that sound right?
Switch to stock wheels and BFG KO2 ( 37”) — you will reduce your rotational mass greatly and that will be your biggest bang for your buck.

EOT

congrats on the Jeep!

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement