Not open for further replies.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
That's the most narrow powerband I've seen on a Jeep engine in decades. Ouch.

By comparison, the Pentastar torque curve is as flat as an Oklahoma highway.
Respectfully I completely disagree. The dyno you posted for the 3.6 started at 2k rpm and was graphed on the axis that way, making the torque look flatter at the start. On top of that, from 2500 rpm all the way to redline the 2.0T is making more torque. So yes, the torque curve of the 3.6 is flatter, but consistently lower. The 2.0T also has a lower redline, about 5800rpm I believe, which will make the curve look squished, but the 8 speed automatic will be setup for that. Watching the torque of the 2.0T drop off over 4.5k rpm is what we'd expect since the small turbo housing that allows for quick spool then becomes a flow restriction at higher rpm's. That being said though, I'd still opt for the torque curve of the turbo over the flatter but consistently weaker curve of the 3.6. The graph for the 2.0T is a bit difficult to catch the details on in the video but if you pause at the right times you can see all axis numbers.
Sponsored

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
The 2.0l torque curve has way more area under the curve. A whole boatload more torque than the 3.6L and at lower rpm. This is great. I could whip out my Calculus textbooks from a long time ago and remind myself how to properly figure exactly how much more torque but I’d rather just sit and think further of how much more power will be available after tuning companies get their hands on this engine.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

One thing I also forgot to mention: I believe our graph begins after the ETorque system shuts off (and it may never be turned on with the traction control off), so that extra 70 lb-ft of torque isn't accounted for in our dyno graph. I'm working on getting an export of just the graph for everybody and also looking at doing a direct side-by-side comparison on the same dyno with the 3.6L

Thanks!
-Steve

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everybody,

One thing I also forgot to mention: I believe our graph begins after the ETorque system shuts off (and it may never be turned on with the traction control off), so that extra 70 lb-ft of torque isn't accounted for in our dyno graph. I'm working on getting an export of just the graph for everybody and also looking at doing a direct side-by-side comparison on the same dyno with the 3.6L

Thanks!
-Steve
Same dyno will mean a lot for comparison.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

_MG_5920.jpg

We had a 3.6L JL in today for some product development and figured we'd run it on the same dyno that we ran our 2.0L on and share the results. Check them out! I broke out the torque and HP so you can see the differences a little clearer. All runs were done on our DynoJet, in 4th gear, both automatic transmissions, and ambient conditions were very close for each.

2.0L VS 3.6L (WTQ & WHP) | 2.0L - Blue / 3.6L - Red
20v36_All.JPG

2.0L VS 3.6L (Torque) | 2.0L - Blue / 3.6L - Red
20v36_Torque.JPG

2.0L VS 3.6L (Horsepower) | 2.0L - Blue / 3.6L - Red
20v36_Power.JPG

Enjoy!
-Steve

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everybody,

_MG_5920.jpg

We had a 3.6L JL in today for some product development and figured we'd run it on the same dyno that we ran our 2.0L on and share the results. Check them out! I broke out the torque and HP so you can see the differences a little clearer. All runs were done on our DynoJet, in 4th gear, both automatic transmissions, and ambient conditions were very close for each.

20v36_All.JPG

20v36_Torque.JPG

20v36_Power.JPG

Enjoy!
-Steve
Gearing between the Rubicon and the Sport make a difference on the Dyno?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Gearing between the Rubicon and the Sport make a difference on the Dyno?
It looks like the gearing is pretty similar, at least for 4th gear - Correction: The 2.0L hit 85 MPH and the 3.6L hit 87 MPH.

The 3.6L did have the larger/heavier tires as well.

Thanks!
-Steve

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
My 3.6 is a damn good running beast. I really enjoy the instant throttle response. I would love to have the Turbo though. That’s definitely a bit underated. Hopefully the Turbo motor can be as dependable as the V6.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Wow, seems like the 2.0T is underrated by Jeep.
Nice! Thanks for posting! The 2.0L looks like a blast to drive with all the power under the curve there.
My 3.6 is a damn good running beast. I really enjoy the instant throttle response. I would love to have the Turbo though. That’s definitely a bit underated. Hopefully the Turbo motor can be as dependable as the V6.
It looks like the horsepower for the 2.0 is right about dead on with a 15% drivetrain loss, but the torque is definitely underrated. I wonder if they did their calculations with the E-Torque system disabled, but that probably wouldn't affect peak torque that much.

What's really interesting to me is that the Pentastar is supposed to make 17 BHP more than the Hurricane, but they came out pretty close on the dyno. Like I said, the 3.6L did have heavier wheels and tires, but I don't know if the difference was enough to lose 14.5 WHP. :movember:

Our 2.0L has survived 8 runs on the dyno and about 800 miles so far; we'll see how it holds up!

Thanks everybody,
-Steve

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Where you running premium gas in both or just the 2.0? Any planned runs with regular and premium gas? Thanks.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Yes I bet the heavier wheels and tires on the Rubicon plus the 4:10 gears versus the lighter weight wheels and tires and 3:45 gears on the unlimited will make a bit of a difference on the Dyno. Too bad you didn’t have the same Jeep just with different engines to get a better accuracy of these figures. Hopefully one day you will get another one in the shop to dyno that matches one of these Jeeps only with the different engine so we can see exactly what differences there may be!

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
someone needs to do a larger rotated ball bearing turbo, bigger intercooler, 3 inch turbo back exhaust and e85, custom tune, easy 400hp

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Hey everybody,

_MG_5920.jpg

20v36_All.JPG

20v36_Torque.JPG

20v36_Power.JPG

Enjoy!
-Steve
Thanks for sharing these, Steve! :like:

I must confess I have zero experience with this kind of charts and tests. If I understand correctly, the 2.0L compares quite favorably, but if someone could elaborate, I’d love to learn more (and have more bragging rights for my Turbo!).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.