Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody!

We have another update on this intercooler pipe for you! We're really excited to get into the really fun parts of the process: prototyping and performance testing!

Check out the post below and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
-Steve

Rival Nature’s Power – Intercooler Pipe R&D, Part 3: Prototype
MG_7432.jpg

Our last 2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T intercooler pipe post ended with our engineer, Jason, 3D scanning the stock JL intercooler pipe and engine bay. Over the next several weeks, those 3D scans would evolve into a digital drawing of our high-flow intercooler pipe, then make their way into the physical world in the form of a 3D printed prototype.

MG_7230.jpg

The prototyping phase is one of the most important steps in creating a new part. It gives us a true-to-life look at how our parts will fit and it’s our first chance to recognize potential issues. It’s also one of the most exciting parts of the process as it’s where we get to watch our hard work come to life. With each pass of the 3D printer our ideas become increasingly real.

Before we dive into the prototyping process, however, let’s look at our design and how it differs from the stock intercooler pipe. Overall, the Mishimoto intercooler pipe looks similar to the stock intercooler pipe, and for good reason. With the tight clearances on all sides of the intercooler pipe, we were limited in how much the shape could be changed. What we could do, however, was smooth out the bends and dips throughout the pipe to create one smooth-flowing piece. We also added provisions for other modifications, like aftermarket blow-off valves and a boost sensor or methanol injection. To do this, we added a raised feature at one end of the pipe that can be drilled and tapped for sensors or methanol jets. To fit aftermarket bypass valves, we designed the bypass valve mount as a two-piece feature. The top piece can be used with the stock bypass valve or removed to fit an aftermarket blow-off valve.

JL_ICP.png

With our design nailed down, we could move on to 3D printing. Jason handed off his design to our drafter and 3D printing guru, Josh, to turn the digital drawing into a functional part that we could use for testing. After several hours of printing, we had a very real, very orange, 3D printed prototype.

...Continue Reading>>>
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
@Mishimoto Steve, let me know when your ready for Beta testing tester.

AgentRice

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Fire Fighter Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Im so in!! down to Beta and do full Install Video, with custom graphics and a full comprehensive video review!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL

Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thank guys! Should we have another contest to see who can install theirs first after the pre-sale? :idea:

@Minty JL we might want to test the intercooler pipe with the S&B intake, just in case, but I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
-Steve

You can run a contest if you want, I just wanna have the first one! I’ve already got a boost gauge ready to go

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
@Mishimoto Ok, let me know sooner then later if feasible.

First to install of the pre-sale....... I will just drive up and get it, no waiting on the UPS dude LOL

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Shit, I'm using my free oil changes.......they F' it up, they fix it

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
You can run a contest if you want, I just wanna have the first one! I’ve already got a boost gauge ready to go
Nice! Well maybe there will be some swag sent to the first few customers to install it again.

@Mishimoto Ok, let me know sooner then later if feasible.

First to install of the pre-sale....... I will just drive up and get it, no waiting on the UPS dude LOL
I'll follow you ;)
JL convoy to Mishi and install them in the parking lot. :like:
:idea: I'm not opposed to this idea! @Turbo_punkn you're not too far either - I'll talk to our team here and see if we can make it happen :fist bump:

Thanks everybody!
-Steve

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Nice! Well maybe there will be some swag sent to the first few customers to install it again.

I could possibly try and make that happen!

:idea: I'm not opposed to this idea! @Turbo_punkn you're not too far either - I'll talk to our team here and see if we can make it happen :fist bump:

Thanks everybody!
-Steve

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I’m planning on using my last week of vacation at work October 7-11... that would be a good date to release it lol

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Thanks everybody!
-Steve
I'll happily buy pizza and beer! Would be totally cool to meet the other locals and get the IC tube and intake sorted out once and for all. hint hint nudge nudge.

I leave to Germany (again) Sunday for the week; back Friday night.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.