Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
i've often wondered if that hot of an engine bay was really that good for the battery in there lol!
At least you won't have to worry too much about a cold battery causing a no-start on a cold morning; the under-hood temp will probably still be 75* from running the previous day :giggle:

-Steve
Sponsored

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 Hurricane
At least you won't have to worry too much about a cold battery causing a no-start on a cold morning; the under-hood temp will probably still be 75* from running the previous day :giggle:

-Steve
lol i park in the garage so in the winter it'll keep the heater from kicking on as much haha!

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I just went back to the stock setup, just disconnected the houses from the catch can. I just want to eliminate the possibility I had a leak elsewhere. I will report if I still get the CEL

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
After 300 miles mine is empty, not a drip. That’s with a heavy foot and turning 41” tires almost 95% city driving. I’ll check again at 1000.

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mishimoto just for S&Gs I have left everything in-tact. smaller can, filter, etc. i cleared the code after it popped and now that it's been cooler in northern colorado the CEL stayed off so far. I have noticed it triggering when it's very hot outside combined with the extremely hot engine bay temps these jeeps see.

how that correlates is well above my head. but figured i'd let you know.

also, on my foxwell scanner, the orange caution light is on meaning a sensor is out of range, but not enough to trigger the code yet. so running as-is already has the sensor warning the computer of a future CEL, but last night and today (since it was cooler) no CEL presented.

interesting......

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I just went back to the stock setup, just disconnected the houses from the catch can. I just want to eliminate the possibility I had a leak elsewhere. I will report if I still get the CEL
Hey @Huehue80, to be honest, I would think if you have a leak anywhere, it would be at the o-rings on our quick-disconnects. Other than that, the only location I know of that could leak and cause this issue is the valve cover. It would be nice if all of this was caused by a leaking o-ring and we could just send you all new ones though :movember:

@Mishimoto just for S&Gs I have left everything in-tact. smaller can, filter, etc. i cleared the code after it popped and now that it's been cooler in northern colorado the CEL stayed off so far. I have noticed it triggering when it's very hot outside combined with the extremely hot engine bay temps these jeeps see.

how that correlates is well above my head. but figured i'd let you know.

also, on my foxwell scanner, the orange caution light is on meaning a sensor is out of range, but not enough to trigger the code yet. so running as-is already has the sensor warning the computer of a future CEL, but last night and today (since it was cooler) no CEL presented.

interesting......
That is interesting. We figured air density played a role (which is affected by air temp and elevation), but we haven't figured out how the sensor or PCM is actually referencing air density and atmospheric pressure to set the "acceptable range" of the sensor. If the sensor had a static acceptable range, we would think that it would either 1) throw a code at sea level with the catch can, or 2) throw a code going from 4K ft. to 7K or 10K ft.

If it's something you'd be willing to do, we might want to send you a test kit so that we can collect some real-world data from your JL. I think it would mostly be hooking up a vacuum gauge, but I need to confirm that with the engineer.

After 300 miles mine is empty, not a drip. That’s with a heavy foot and turning 41” tires almost 95% city driving. I’ll check again at 1000.
@Rploaded check out my response to @Huehue80 below regarding how much blow-by the catch can will collect. Hopefully this helps explain why you're not seeing blow-by in the can yet, but let me know if you have any other questions!

How many total miles are on your JL? The amount of blow-by the engine produces and therefore how much the can catches will increase as the engine wears (piston ring and cylinder wall wear allows more blow-by into the crankcase). It will also vary by how you drive; since the can is on the CCV side of the engine, it will catch more when the turbo is producing boost than it will just cruising down the highway.

It seems like our JL's engine may have been built at 4:30 on a Friday, because at 2,000 miles we had a stream of oil in the turbo inlet. When we pulled @Minty JL 's catch can, his was also clean, but so were the turbo inlet and the inlet line for the catch can. So it's likely not that the can isn't working, but that your engine just isn't producing that much blow-by yet.
Thanks everybody,
-Steve

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mishimoto i'd sure be willing to try whatever you need to find a resolution!

i'm often heading from 5000 to 8-10000 on a regular basis. plus "scientific research" would be a great reason to go offroading west of town haha!!

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
As Steve said @Mishimoto my JL had about 4500 mile when we checked my can and it was bone dry.

With time the rings will wear/break in and then there will be "more" blow by. Keep in mind newer car/truck engines are built with much tighter tolerances; hence the reason most new vehicles require the use of synthetic oils. Sh!t, a lot of the new toyota/Lexus cars/suvs require 0w20 oil.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hey @Huehue80, to be honest, I would think if you have a leak anywhere, it would be at the o-rings on our quick-disconnects. Other than that, the only location I know of that could leak and cause this issue is the valve cover. It would be nice if all of this was caused by a leaking o-ring and we could just send you all new ones though :movember:

That is interesting. We figured air density played a role (which is affected by air temp and elevation), but we haven't figured out how the sensor or PCM is actually referencing air density and atmospheric pressure to set the "acceptable range" of the sensor. If the sensor had a static acceptable range, we would think that it would either 1) throw a code at sea level with the catch can, or 2) throw a code going from 4K ft. to 7K or 10K ft.

If it's something you'd be willing to do, we might want to send you a test kit so that we can collect some real-world data from your JL. I think it would mostly be hooking up a vacuum gauge, but I need to confirm that with the engineer.

@Rploaded check out my response to @Huehue80 below regarding how much blow-by the catch can will collect. Hopefully this helps explain why you're not seeing blow-by in the can yet, but let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks everybody,
-Steve
Steve,

Not a complaint here, was simply reporting; I’m glad it’s empty as that’s good for me. I do understand that tolerances being tighter is better in this case.

Well in a few other cases also, but I digress.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
@Mishimoto i'd sure be willing to try whatever you need to find a resolution!

i'm often heading from 5000 to 8-10000 on a regular basis. plus "scientific research" would be a great reason to go offroading west of town haha!!
Haha, thanks Justin! We should be reaching out in the next couple weeks!

Steve,

Not a complaint here, was simply reporting; I’m glad it’s empty as that’s good for me. I do understand that tolerances being tighter is better in this case.

Well in a few other cases also, but I digress.
:CWL: Hahaha, no worries! Apparently the cylinders/pistons and the CCV pressure sensor have the same tolerance on this engine :)

Thanks everybody, I'll keep you all updated!
-Steve

Sponsored

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[QUOTE="
:CWL: Hahaha, no worries! Apparently the cylinders/pistons and the CCV pressure sensor have the same tolerance on this engine :)

Thanks everybody, I'll keep you all updated!
-Steve[/QUOTE]

no kidding lol!!!

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if applying a layer of grease around the o-rings would help - just something to block leaking of air that might be triggering the sensor?

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if applying a layer of grease around the o-rings would help - just something to block leaking of air that might be triggering the sensor?
it feels pretty snug when i push on the mishimoto fitting, more so than the OEM one. so I think (on mine anyway) that it's sealed up good. no CEL at all today around town, but again it was cooler today.

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
To share some more data, I am running the catch can without the filter. Yesterday I went to a local resort for ocktoberfest. The drive started at 4800 feet and the parking lot was at 8000 ft. I did get the P2 code as a pending code while at that elevation. The code cleared and everything shows normal back at 4800 ft. I was not driving at the elevation long enough to trip it in the permanent code.
A9F7B8A3-691F-400B-BB07-6A83DC58C3E2.png

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer