Mishimoto R&D: JL Wrangler 2.0T Catch Can Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4Tyrant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Yeah, this is why I say still some unknowns as it's not as simple as "low altitude is no problems; high altitude is problems" so could even be some other option that modifies the tolerances.

Do those having the CEL have the tow package? I do.

Do those having the CEL run with ESS disabled? I don't.

All these things could be somehow interacting.
I have a tow package and I dont run with ESS disabled.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
So far so good. Checked with a code reader today to see if anything was "pending" and no codes. This weekend we will be doing some driving and offroading at around 8000ft so I'll update you again tuesday if any light comes on.
Nice, fingers crossed it stays CEL free and we can work from there! :fingerscrossed:

Thanks!
-Steve

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
@jwalt[/USER] any updates on running the can without the filter?

Thanks!
-Steve[/QUOTE]

@Mishimoto Steve,
I apologize I did not see this sooner. I cleared the codes via the obd2 port and drove the Jeep over the weekend. It left the permanent code in the computer so I’m not sure how that effects future reporting. On Tuesday I took the Jeep into my shop to work on installing a trailer harness and a stereo along with other electrical additions
BE73B28D-6441-47FD-B670-FAC39306851A.jpeg
. I don’t plan to have those done until after the holiday weekend. I currently have the battery disconnected so hopefully that clears the permanent code and I can do a fair test over next week with the filter removed in the catch can. I live at 5200 feet elevation and my weekend drives to the mountains get me above 8000ft although I have not done this since the catch can was installed. I will try to report back next week. Thanks for your genuine interest in troubleshooting this issue.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
@Mishimoto Steve,
I apologize I did not see this sooner. I cleared the codes via the obd2 port and drove the Jeep over the weekend. It left the permanent code in the computer so I’m not sure how that effects future reporting. On Tuesday I took the Jeep into my shop to work on installing a trailer harness and a stereo along with other electrical additions. I don’t plan to have those done until after the holiday weekend. I currently have the battery disconnected so hopefully that clears the permanent code and I can do a fair test over next week with the filter removed in the catch can. I live at 5200 feet elevation and my weekend drives to the mountains get me above 8000ft although I have not done this since the catch can was installed. I will try to report back next week. Thanks for your genuine interest in troubleshooting this issue.
Hey @jwalt no problem! Please let me know if you have any trouble removing the filter and if it throws a code again. And I hope your electrical work goes better than mine usually does :blush:

I hope you enjoy your long weekend!

-Steve

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Are you having the "P1CEA - EVAP Purge System Performance" code with the stock intake, or a different code? P1CEA is the code we've seen with the S&B intake and our catch can - I haven't seen that code from a customer that had our can but didn't have an aftermarket intake, so I'd be curious to check out some live data if you're still getting it with the stock intake.

The code that we've seen with altitude is the "P2C90 - Crankcase Ventilation System - Hose "A" Disconnected" - That's the same code we had when our can was posing too much of a restriction and the pressure at the crankcase pressure sensor was too low. We're still working on figuring out why altitude would be causing that code. @4x4Tyrant @jwalt any updates on running the can without the filter?

Thanks!
-Steve
Hi Steve,

P1CEA with S&B and Oil catch. Also the occasional "Gas Cap open" warning.

P2C90 with factory intake and oil catch at about 10 feet above sea level. No pinches or kinks. Even tried without top cover to ensure that it's forward lip edge was not causing a kink or restriction.

Code free with oil catch bypassed with factory short hose with both factory intake and S&B intake.

I am driving to Ohio for the long weekend and going with S&B and oil catch bypassed so a nice long trip that hopefully stays CEL free.

updated: 8 hour road trip with S&B and oil catch removed and zero codes. So my baseline before oil catch can remains code free.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Please let me know how it goes! And Just to clarify, you only need to remove the silver filter and the plate with the two flaps under it, not the baffle plate that's on the post. I realized this morning that could have been confusing.

Thanks!
-Steve
Steve,

I live at around 4500 ft, I’ve had the cel come on a few times at that evaluation and at 8500. I just cleared the code. Today I removed the filter.

I have a stock 2.0 with just a green filter in the stock intake. I’ll be going to Moab this week and traveling through several different elevations. I’ll let you know if the cel comes on again.

also just to report the catch can was super clean with about 1000 miles through it.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Well I 1+ week update: Nothing but flawless operation and no CEL.

There are some noticeable low end gains with the intake too. I'm beyond stoked with where things are right now with the JL. @Mishimoto

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

There are some noticeable low end gains with the intake too. I'm beyond stoked with where things are right now with the JL. @Mishimoto
I wait patiently for the same :)

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 Hurricane
Morning All!

I found this forum after I am already working with mishimoto via email. They have been fantastic by the way!

I too have removed that little filter inside the can, and the CEL stays off around town (i live at 5000 feet). did a labor day weekend trip to 11,000 feet and the CEL came on after airing down at the trailhead about 7000 feet. I cleared it, and it of course came on every restart thereafter. we camped at 11,000 feet for the night, and drove home with the CEL on. cleared the code in my driveway and it came on once more. cleared again and so far staying off.

with the reports of people having their dealers alert them to bring the vehicle in for service, i might put the OEM tube back on since i will be at about 8000 feet this friday-sunday.

and side note... 11,000 feet is a great way to beat the late heat we're having here in colorado.

DJI_0295.JPG

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi Steve,

P1CEA with S&B and Oil catch. Also the occasional "Gas Cap open" warning.

P2C90 with factory intake and oil catch at about 10 feet above sea level. No pinches or kinks. Even tried without top cover to ensure that it's forward lip edge was not causing a kink or restriction.

Code free with oil catch bypassed with factory short hose with both factory intake and S&B intake.

I am driving to Ohio for the long weekend and going with S&B and oil catch bypassed so a nice long trip that hopefully stays CEL free.

updated: 8 hour road trip with S&B and oil catch removed and zero codes. So my baseline before oil catch can remains code free.
That's strange, we haven't had anybody report the P2C90 below ~4,000 ft. elevation. Did you by any chance disconnect the battery when you swapped back to the stock intake? I'm wondering if there are stored values for the CCV pressure sensor that changed when you went to the stock intake and the PCM didn't like it, or maybe there's a leak in the system somewhere. The P1CEA is definitely not caused by the catch can, but I would like to figure out why you're getting the P2C90 code at such a low elevation.

Steve,

I live at around 4500 ft, I’ve had the cel come on a few times at that evaluation and at 8500. I just cleared the code. Today I removed the filter.

I have a stock 2.0 with just a green filter in the stock intake. I’ll be going to Moab this week and traveling through several different elevations. I’ll let you know if the cel comes on again.

also just to report the catch can was super clean with about 1000 miles through it.
Thanks @Huehue80, please do let us know how it goes!

How many total miles are on your JL? The amount of blow-by the engine produces and therefore how much the can catches will increase as the engine wears (piston ring and cylinder wall wear allows more blow-by into the crankcase). It will also vary by how you drive; since the can is on the CCV side of the engine, it will catch more when the turbo is producing boost than it will just cruising down the highway.

It seems like our JL's engine may have been built at 4:30 on a Friday, because at 2,000 miles we had a stream of oil in the turbo inlet. When we pulled @Minty JL 's catch can, his was also clean, but so were the turbo inlet and the inlet line for the catch can. So it's likely not that the can isn't working, but that your engine just isn't producing that much blow-by yet.

Thanks for the update! Really glad it's working well and that our work on that intake resonator seems to be paying off :D

Morning All!

I found this forum after I am already working with mishimoto via email. They have been fantastic by the way!

I too have removed that little filter inside the can, and the CEL stays off around town (i live at 5000 feet). did a labor day weekend trip to 11,000 feet and the CEL came on after airing down at the trailhead about 7000 feet. I cleared it, and it of course came on every restart thereafter. we camped at 11,000 feet for the night, and drove home with the CEL on. cleared the code in my driveway and it came on once more. cleared again and so far staying off.

with the reports of people having their dealers alert them to bring the vehicle in for service, i might put the OEM tube back on since i will be at about 8000 feet this friday-sunday.

and side note... 11,000 feet is a great way to beat the late heat we're having here in colorado.
Hey Justin, I'm sorry to hear that removing the filter didn't work for you. Would you be open to trying another test? It's possible that the can actually has too much volume and is affecting flow at startup. I'd like to send you our smaller can bottom to try out and see if that has any positive effect. If you're OK with giving it another shot, please let me know and I'll get it shipped out ASAP.

Thanks again everybody for being patient and working with us on these issues. Hope we can get them all resolved soon!

-Steve

Sponsored

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Steve,

absolutely i'm willing to try whatever! out of pure curiosity... do you know what value on a live data logger is the sensor value?

this shows a barometer but i'm not sure what the actual sensor is called.

IMG_20190901_084223.jpg

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
random thought just hit me... found another thread about mopar snorkel kits throwing the same P2C90 code. that resolution seems to be replacing the crankcase pressure sensor part 68312652AA with 68312652AB instead.

has mishimoto tried this or anyone else tried this?

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
random thought just hit me... found another thread about mopar snorkel kits throwing the same P2C90 code. that resolution seems to be replacing the crankcase pressure sensor part 68312652AA with 68312652AB instead.

has mishimoto tried this or anyone else tried this?
Can you post a link to the thread

4x4Tyrant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Nice, fingers crossed it stays CEL free and we can work from there! :fingerscrossed:

Thanks!
-Steve
Alrighty so here's my after weekend update. After offroading up around 10500ft we got a CEL with the same code. After I got down the mountain to around 4000 ft the CEL turned off after a couple cycles. We drove up to around 8000ft again the following day and no CEL. So to summarize not getting anything at my altitude approx 4100ft with the filter removed, but up around 10500ft got a CEL.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.