Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
From the pictures, it appears the catch can is able to be installed without the drain kit. Is that true? I'd prefer to just empty the can.
Yes, you can install the kit without the drain if you'd like. Just remember to check the can often for the first thousand miles until you know how much blow-by your engine produces.

As for the debate over warranties, etc, the same can be said for any modification you make to your vehicle while under warranty: The dealership still has the burden of proof that any failure was caused by the aftermarket part - they're going to have a hard time proving that your transmission went out because of a catch can. That burden of proof can be pretty light for some dealerships - our suggestion is to get to know your local dealer and learn how modification friendly they are. We've helped customers fight warranty claim denials due to catch cans in the past, usually all it takes is an email to corporate. But again, YMMV.

Oh, and keep your receipts for any oil changes you do yourself - it's not really "proof", but it can help ;)

Thanks everybody,

-Steve
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt they can tell brand, but they can tell 5W-30 from 0W-20 with some pretty simple tests. I didn't mention brand once, this was all in reply to the guy who said he decided to use 5W-30 to reduce blowby
I know you didn't mention brand, that was just a response to those who have talked about the use of Mobil 1.

However, they can tell the viscosity of the oil as it sits, but they can't necessarily tell where it started. That becomes an educated guess. With the 3.6, that isn't as hard until you get to higher mileage on the oil, due to its nature of being fairly easy on it. It would take a good while for a typical 0w20 to thicken to a 30 weight. Most likely it would shear first, then thicken. I'd bet you'd have to run it beyond 10k miles to even begin to see it thicken up, maybe longer to get to a 30 weight. Then, the issue would be not changing it according to schedule, which in and of itself would get a voided warranty. I personally would stay away from 5w30 until after the warranty period is over. However, a 5w30 that is less stout and in the thin end of the scale could easily shear down to a 20 weight in only a few thousand miles.

I get UOA's all the time, and the viscosity of the oils at the time of analysis can vary greatly from their published viscosity when new. Again, sometimes they go higher and sometimes lower. My Ford Ecoboost will shear a 5w30 down to a 20 weight VERY quickly. It can do it to even a stout PAO oil like Mobil 1 EP. A conventional 5w30 can have it happen within a very short time.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

Appreciate the conversation! The pre-sale for this catch can is going on, but I wanted to let you all know that we're also doing a short giveaway for one of these kits! If you've already ordered in the pre-sale, go ahead and enter - if you win, we won't charge you for your order!

MMBCC-JLP-18PBE-Contest_FB.jpg
Thanks!
-Steve

Last edited:

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
@Mishimoto
Just noticed there is no option for a 2019 Wrangler on the giveaway form. I used the 2018 since they're the same but I wanted to let you know.

Sponsored

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Hey everybody,

Appreciate the conversation! The pre-sale for this catch can is going on, but I wanted to let you all know that we're also doing a short giveaway for one of these kits! If you've already ordered in the pre-sale, go ahead and enter - if you win, we won't charge you for your order!

MMBCC-JLP-18PBE-Contest_FB.jpg

Thanks!
-Steve
The enter now button does not have an active link.

Edit: Works now.

Last edited:

RedStripeJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 XJ Sport, 2019 Jl Rubi
Hey guys,

Your order form doesn't have an option for a 2019 wrangler. Could you have your guys please add it?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey guys,

Your order form doesn't have an option for a 2019 wrangler. Could you have your guys please add it?
We're working on adding all 2019 models across our website, but for now you can just go ahead and select 2018 - Anything we make for the 2018 should also fit the 2019.

Thanks!
-Steve

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

Just a heads-up that the catch can giveaway will be ending at 3:30 today, so get your entries in!

Thanks,
-Steve

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I used one off my corvette for my JK with the pentastar and I was baffled how much oil was in it between changes! no with the JL whenever I get in certain up positions its smokes like crazy!!!

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG
So what exactly is causing this. I'm assuming oil in the intake but how in the world is that much getting there. @Kevin8086 experienced the same thing in one of his videos where he was as vertical as you are.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.