Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
43.5mm (1.71")

Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it on to the team! The nitrile hoses that we use on this kit are highly oil resistant and the straight line gives a little more leniency for vehicle manufacturing tolerances than molded hoses do. We do pre-cut the hoses to length and install the quick-disconnects, so install is still a breeze.

Thanks again!
-Steve
Can the oil catch can work on the 2.0L?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to chime in real quick. Manufacturers can and will void warranties based on using the incorrect viscosity oil or oil that does not meet specification for the motor. In this case, FCA specs 0W-20 oil that meets MS-6395. Since they don't recommend a range of oil viscosity, a dealer can void a warranty for any oil that is not 0W-20 being used. (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/do...ep-Wrangler-JL-JLU-Owners-Manual.pdf#page=501)

Oil viscosity can affect much more than just fuel mileage. The rings, valve-train, oil pump, bearings, etc are spec'd for a viscosity of oil at operating temperature. Going outside of recommended range can affect how oil flows to components, your oil change interval, and the protection that oil provides to those components.

Going with a 30 viscosity oil over a 20 viscosity oil will not significantly impact the amount of blow-by generated by the engine (especially a relatively low mileage engine). Please follow the recommended fluid guidelines in your owner's manual; the engineers at FCA worked hard to determine that spec :)

Thanks!
-Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Can the oil catch can work on the 2.0L?
Unfortunately not. The 2.0L PCV system is far more complex than the 3.6L system. But, we are working on a catch can for the 2.0L and I should be posting about it soon!

Thanks!
-Steve

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Unfortunately not. The 2.0L PCV system is far more complex than the 3.6L system. But, we are working on a catch can for the 2.0L and I should be posting about it soon!

Thanks!
-Steve
Sounds good Steve, all this talk of blow by makes me just super OCD about how much blow-by residues are accumulating inside my engine everyday I'm without an oil catch can on my 2.0L ;)

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
From the pictures, it appears the catch can is able to be installed without the drain kit. Is that true? I'd prefer to just empty the can.

Gremluc

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger & 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to chime in real quick. Manufacturers can and will void warranties based on using the incorrect viscosity oil or oil that does not meet specification for the motor. In this case, FCA specs 0W-20 oil that meets MS-6395. Since they don't recommend a range of oil viscosity, a dealer can void a warranty for any oil that is not 0W-20 being used. (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/do...ep-Wrangler-JL-JLU-Owners-Manual.pdf#page=501)

Oil viscosity can affect much more than just fuel mileage. The rings, valve-train, oil pump, bearings, etc are spec'd for a viscosity of oil at operating temperature. Going outside of recommended range can affect how oil flows to components, your oil change interval, and the protection that oil provides to those components.

Going with a 30 viscosity oil over a 20 viscosity oil will not significantly impact the amount of blow-by generated by the engine (especially a relatively low mileage engine). Please follow the recommended fluid guidelines in your owner's manual; the engineers at FCA worked hard to determine that spec :)

Thanks!
-Steve
Just a quick question - I have a JL 3.6, first oil change @ 4,500 miles the dealer used 5-30 and 6 gts of oil. When I went in for my 2nd oil change @ 9000 miles I told them about the 0-20 and 5 gts. The service adviser checked & said your right. Anyway to the point - this morning when I started the Jeep a puff of blue smoke came out of the exhaust - never happened before - mileage was @ 9300. No smoke the rest of the day.

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
oil grade are recommended grade its not a MUST so im ok for now

thanks

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Whatever man. I’m not trying to start an internet argument with you. I was trying to point out that you may be risking your engine warranty, and I think you are, but maybe FCA won’t bother to check or maybe it won’t cause the failure if there ever is one.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a53/what-oil-does-my-car-take/

https://blog.amsoil.com/what-happens-if-i-use-the-wrong-weight-viscosity-of-oil/

https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/oil-types-weights-and-viscosity-faq

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever man. I’m not trying to start an internet argument with you. I was trying to point out that you may be risking your engine warranty, and I think you are, but maybe FCA won’t bother to check or maybe it won’t cause the failure if there ever is one.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a53/what-oil-does-my-car-take/

https://blog.amsoil.com/what-happens-if-i-use-the-wrong-weight-viscosity-of-oil/

https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/oil-types-weights-and-viscosity-faq
I'm not sure why anyone gets concerned over oil in a catch can thread when a catch can is a much more likely scenario for voiding of warranty with an engine problem.

Do and run what makes you happy. The chances of an engine breakdown due to Mobil 1 oil or a catch can are about as slim as you can get. Especially considering they both result in superior engine performance.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
I'm not sure why anyone gets concerned over oil in a catch can thread when a catch can is a much more likely scenario for voiding of warranty with an engine problem.

Do and run what makes you happy. The chances of an engine breakdown due to Mobil 1 oil or a catch can are about as slim as you can get. Especially considering they both result in superior engine performance.
I agree, run what makes you happy but be aware of pitfalls. This catch can will come out in about 10 minutes before a trip to the dealer if you were really concerned about the warranty. I guess you could always change the oil before you take it in too

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, run what makes you happy but be aware of pitfalls. This catch can will come out in about 10 minutes before a trip to the dealer if you were really concerned about the warranty. I guess you could always change the oil before you take it in too
Ok, good idea. I didn't know they could tell the brand of oil. Those guys are sharp!

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Copy that. When you dick around with anything related to emissions, you're rolling a pair of loaded dice.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Ok, good idea. I didn't know they could tell the brand of oil. Those guys are sharp!
I doubt they can tell brand, but they can tell 5W-30 from 0W-20 with some pretty simple tests. I didn't mention brand once, this was all in reply to the guy who said he decided to use 5W-30 to reduce blowby
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.