Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

We're excited to share our R&D process for one of our first JL projects! We'll be developing a catch can for the 3.6L Pentastar. Check out the first post below and let us know what you think!

Prepare for Adventure – Catch Can R&D, Part 1: Stock Review
MG_4511.jpg

“What’s the point?” A question commonly asked by those who see cars and trucks solely as a means to get from point A to point B, from where they are to where they want to be. Those people look at a Ferrari and a Camry the same way. There are speed limits and traffic, so what’s the point of having a fast car? They look at off-road capable vehicles and ask, “What’s the point?” We have roads and highways that get you wherever you need to go, why would you ever want to leave them? What those people miss, however, is that with the right vehicle, every inch of Earth is your road, and any drive can be a journey. No vehicle better embodies that idea than the Jeep Wrangler.

MG_4553.jpg

Any Jeep owner knows that one of the greatest rewards of driving a Jeep is that it can turn a simple journey into an adventure. But adventure requires diligence. Leaving the beaten path means tires must be maintained at just the right pressure, differentials need to be properly lubricated, and cooling systems need to be topped off. But, as we’ve seen from our previous Jeep Wrangler projects, the Pentastar engine mated to the new JL chassis needs attention under the hood as well.

MG_4555.jpg

While the 3.6L Pentastar has been in the Wrangler for almost 6 years, the latest version in the JL has not changed much since 2012. Aside from the addition of an 8-speed automatic and automatic stop/start, the 3.6L Pentastar is the same as it has been for 6 years, blow-by and all. Much like almost every other naturally aspirated V6 before it, the PCV system of the 3.6L Pentastar is a simple hose connected to the intake at one end and the PCV valve at the other end. As engine RPM increases, pressure from the crankcase opens the PCV valve and blow-by is pulled into the cylinders to be re-burned.

MG_4498.jpg

If you’re not sure why blow-by can be a bad thing, check out our article on its effects and how to stop it. To summarize, blow-by contains oil that can foul spark plugs and reduce the effective octane of fuel, making your 3.6L Pentastar less efficient and eventually robbing it of its all-important torque. Nothing ends an adventure faster than a misfire.

catch-cans.jpg

To combat the effects of blow-by, we develop catch cans that intercept the blow-by gasses. The catch can filters out the oil, fuel, water and other contaminates from the blow-by gasses allowing only clean air to return to the cylinders, keeping your 3.6L Pentastar running efficiently. We’ve seen in the past that the 3.6L produces a significant amount of blow-by and that blow-by contains mostly oil. Preliminary testing on the 3.6L Pentastar equipped to the 2018+ JL Wrangler suggests that this generation suffers from the same affliction. In fact, it may be the worst we’ve seen in a long time.

MG_6972r.jpg

Blow-by captured during our 3.6L JK Wrangler Catch Can testing
Keep an eye out for our next posts, where we’ll look at the design of our catch can kit and the surprising results of that testing. For now, feel free to let us know if you have any comments or questions.

Thanks for reading!
-Steve
Sponsored

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I used one off my corvette for my JK with the pentastar and I was baffled how much oil was in it between changes! no with the JL whenever I get in certain up positions its smokes like crazy!!!

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG
That smoke would have me furious.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
So, that's the mosquito fogger option...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

Sorry for the radio silence! I now have the thread watched :blush:

@Mishimoto Make a quiet fan please!!!
I will definitely pass it on to the team! In a few upcoming threads, I think you'll see why the stock fan is so loud ;) Our office is near an airport / ANG base, and I think the JL fan is louder...

I used one off my corvette for my JK with the pentastar and I was baffled how much oil was in it between changes! no with the JL whenever I get in certain up positions its smokes like crazy!!!

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG
First, thank you for your support on your Corvette and JK! Could you show me how you routed the lines and mounted the can on the JL?

So, that's the mosquito fogger option...
:giggle:

-Steve

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
Hey everybody,

Sorry for the radio silence! I now have the thread watched :blush:

I will definitely pass it on to the team! In a few upcoming threads, I think you'll see why the stock fan is so loud ;) Our office is near an airport / ANG base, and I think the JL fan is louder...

First, thank you for your support on your Corvette and JK! Could you show me how you routed the lines and mounted the can on the JL?

:giggle:

-Steve
I haven’t installed one on the JL. You still need to send me one to do it!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I haven’t installed one on the JL. You still need to send me one to do it!
Ah! :whew: I thought that was with the catch can installed - it's crazy that there's that much oil in the intake, I guess we'd better hurry up and finish this kit!

-Steve

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
Ah! :whew: I thought that was with the catch can installed - it's crazy that there's that much oil in the intake, I guess we'd better hurry up and finish this kit!

-Steve
Yes Steve, you need to finish it so I can test it! Heading to winter jamboree in January at sand hallow lots of tall places to make it do it!

Sponsored

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
That looks like much more than blow by.
It’s not blow by is how the pcv system works.. on steep angles it dumps in the cylinders and smokes out.. seen lots of jks and jls do it

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

We have another update for you all (some of which may have been inspired by @5280Sapper ;) ) Check it out below and let us know what you think!

Prepare for Adventure – Catch Can R&D, Part 2: Design

MG_4455.jpg

Imagine driving your brand-new 3.6L Jeep Wrangler JL up a steep, rocky grade. Your tires struggle to grip the rocks and loose soil, but you persevere, steadily making your way to the top. You look back to see the faces of your friends, hoping they’ll be amazed and thinking the same thing you are, “Wow, this Jeep can take on anything!” But you can’t see them, because they’ve been enveloped in a plume of blue-white smoke that’s still billowing from your exhaust. Instead of impressing everyone and selling at least four JL Wranglers in the process, all you’ve manage to do is drive up a hill in a James Bond-esque smoke screen.

Before you start worrying about piston rings and head gaskets, you might want to investigate your CCV system. Blow-by accumulation can wreak havoc on your intake and upper engine (and the lungs of anybody spectating). Even a properly functioning CCV/PCV system can allow a large amount of blow-by to pass through into the intake. Luckily, we’ve been working on a solution to stop that blow-by from ruining the view of your epic driving.

When we last saw our 2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L catch can…well, you couldn’t see it. Because it didn’t exist yet. But in this post, it will.

MG_4513.jpg

Continue Reading...

Thanks,
-Steve

McBeeve

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator
Looking good Steve! I hope your next post is to let us know it's ready for purchase. :like:

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
I'd like to do some testing for ya! I leave on the 15th of january from Denver to Sand Hollow for Winter Jamboree then to Arizona and Nevada then to King of the Hammers for wheeling gunna get a lot of miles on the jeep.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.