Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

Mishimoto is giving away a free 2.0T Wrangler JL Catch Can Kit! To enter, simply click here and enter your information. If you've already ordered the catch can on pre-sale, go ahead and enter—if you win, we'll ship your order for free!

This contest will be ending on August 31st, so get your entries in now!

Thanks!
-Steve
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
In FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
How much can would a catch can catch if a catch can could catch can? ;)

I'm hoping my odds of winning are better than my odds of getting a creative writing award!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

We're going to be emailing the winner later this afternoon!

Thanks to everybody who entered!

-Steve

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
What’s a catch can please?

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
C6CC6925-D248-46BA-9A06-D742E2AAA4D4.jpeg
Hey everybody,

We're going to be emailing the winner later this afternoon!

Thanks to everybody who entered!

-Steve
Thank you so very much, excited to try it out and help keep my motor running clean!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Thank you, still confused, I’m not a car gal. I’m a Medicine gal I did read it thoroughly, however, duh still
DrDee
No problem! Modern engines (and especially this 2.0T) are very complex. Basically, a catch can makes sure that the only thing your engine is burning is air and fuel.

All engines produce what is known as blow-by. As you read, blow-by is a combination of air, fuel, oil and water that pushes past the piston and into the engine crankcase during the combustion cycle. If that blow-by builds up in the crankcase, it can create too much pressure and damage oil seals. To prevent that from happening, the blow-by is vented from the crankcase by the "closed crankcase ventilation" (CCV) system. Due to environmental concerns, the blow-by cannot be released into the atmosphere, so manufacturers plumb the CCV system back into the engine's intake so that all of that oil, fuel, and water can be re-burned and cleaned by the exhaust. The problem with this is that the oil and fuel in the blow-by builds up on intake components, sensors and, in direct-injected engines like the JL 2.0T, the intake valves. This causes issues with airflow and the vehicle computer's ability to control fueling, thus leading to poor running. Eventually, the blow-by builds up on the intake valves so badly that air cannot flow into the cylinder and the valves cannot close completely. When that happens the cylinder loses compression and cannot generate power.

To prevent those issues, a catch can is plumbed into the CCV system to intercept the blow-by before it enters the intake. The oil, fuel, and water are trapped by the catch can and only clean air is reintroduced to the intake. Once the catch can is full, it can be emptied into an oil container and the contents recycled just like doing an oil change.

Hopefully that clarifies thing, but feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!
-Steve

DrDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Beetle 2003, Sahara 4 door Silver 2020
No problem! Modern engines (and especially this 2.0T) are very complex. Basically, a catch can makes sure that the only thing your engine is burning is air and fuel.

All engines produce what is known as blow-by. As you read, blow-by is a combination of air, fuel, oil and water that pushes past the piston and into the engine crankcase during the combustion cycle. If that blow-by builds up in the crankcase, it can create too much pressure and damage oil seals. To prevent that from happening, the blow-by is vented from the crankcase by the "closed crankcase ventilation" (CCV) system. Due to environmental concerns, the blow-by cannot be released into the atmosphere, so manufacturers plumb the CCV system back into the engine's intake so that all of that oil, fuel, and water can be re-burned and cleaned by the exhaust. The problem with this is that the oil and fuel in the blow-by builds up on intake components, sensors and, in direct-injected engines like the JL 2.0T, the intake valves. This causes issues with airflow and the vehicle computer's ability to control fueling, thus leading to poor running. Eventually, the blow-by builds up on the intake valves so badly that air cannot flow into the cylinder and the valves cannot close completely. When that happens the cylinder loses compression and cannot generate power.

To prevent those issues, a catch can is plumbed into the CCV system to intercept the blow-by before it enters the intake. The oil, fuel, and water are trapped by the catch can and only clean air is reintroduced to the intake. Once the catch can is full, it can be emptied into an oil container and the contents recycled just like doing an oil change.

Hopefully that clarifies thing, but feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!
-Steve
Thanks
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.