Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to let you all know that the pre-sale for this intake has ended. Thanks to everybody who ordered! Your intakes should be shipping out soon.

Thanks again,
-Steve
Sponsored

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mazda3 Hatch, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Been doing a lot of research on the Mishimoto air intake & a comparable like the Mopar CAI. I'm still unclear on the purpose of the inline resonators. Watched a whole bunch of videos and there's different claims of the purpose for it; to dampen sound, provide a performance boost, or both.

I noticed the Mishimoto is similar to the stock air intake in that it has resonators on the intake pipe to the throttle box where as the other aftermarket CAIs have more or less a straight larger diameter intake pipe.

Can I get clarity on the pros and cons of both designs? The resonators are in place for a reason and the fact that it comes like that from the factory means Jeep engineers are trying to squeeze every ounce of HP out. The fact that the Mishimoto has the same design is very promising.

The more I read, the further I go down this rabbit hole and the less I understand.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Been doing a lot of research on the Mishimoto air intake & a comparable like the Mopar CAI. I'm still unclear on the purpose of the inline resonators. Watched a whole bunch of videos and there's different claims of the purpose for it; to dampen sound, provide a performance boost, or both.

I noticed the Mishimoto is similar to the stock air intake in that it has resonators on the intake pipe to the throttle box where as the other aftermarket CAIs have more or less a straight larger diameter intake pipe.

Can I get clarity on the pros and cons of both designs? The resonators are in place for a reason and the fact that it comes like that from the factory means Jeep engineers are trying to squeeze every ounce of HP out. The fact that the Mishimoto has the same design is very promising.

The more I read, the further I go down this rabbit hole and the less I understand.
From the factory, the resonators serve two purposes: reduce induction noise at certain RPMs, and improve cylinder filling / volumetric efficiency at certain RPM to improve performance.

For our needs, the resonators are sized to do the latter and keep power in the commonly used RPM range. Any intake without resonators will likely shift power much higher in the RPM range and may make the vehicle feel laggy or down on power in the low to mid RPM range.

Hopefully that helps!

-Steve

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Interesting, how well would this work with your snorkel design?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Interesting, how well would this work with your snorkel design?
Hey Lance,

Since our intake retains the lower airbox, it works seamlessly with our snorkel :) Power and torque gains might be slightly lower with the snorkel due to the longer intake tract, but nothing noticeable on the butt dyno, and certainly still an improvement over stock.

Thanks!
-Steve
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.