First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I kind of thought the ink pattern looked more like a Pilot fine tip pen, not a cheap Bic. But im not a pen expert
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If the OP hadnā€™t posted that pic Iā€™d have had a hard time believing the story.

I donā€™t even know what to make of that gas pump: the filthiness; the scratching ā€œDieselā€ with a pen; the missing Regular gas nozzle...

Gotta love the ā€œ...COME INSIDE ASK...ā€ sticker. I can only imagine what inside the store must look like.
Jeep Wrangler JL Misfueled an EcoDiesel - Please Help :( 1650349658849

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
What did the well meaning (and well paid) mechanic do with the diesel with two tenths of a gallon of Non-Alcohol gas he drained? His diesel PU? Nice Tip! Not only did we put it in the fuel in freezing temps we also added ATF to lubricate the pump and injectors especially in the older rigs not designed for the reformulated ā€œCleanā€ diesel that ate them due to less lubricating qualities!

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Sorry, this happened-another reason to read your owner's manual, ensure the fuel pump handle is green or yellow in some places. Yet this amount should not effect anything-no need to drain and pull tank; yet you may want to run some fuel injector cleaner through. Don't panic easy fix. Keep Jeep wave going..

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Sorry, this happened-another reason to read your owner's manual, ensure the fuel pump handle is green or yellow in some places. Yet this amount should not effect anything-no need to drain and pull tank; yet you may want to run some fuel injector cleaner through. Don't panic easy fix. Keep Jeep wave going..
Ive noticed many stations in the midwest especially BP stations that have green pump handles for gas. I wish theyd make a forced standard on the pump handle color. Personally, i think they should be red and yellow as generally symbolized with gas/Diesel jugs.

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
If it is only 2/10ā€™s of 1 gallon, that is only 3.2 cups of gasoline. A quart of oil is 4 cups. Repeatedly topping off and diluting with a full tank of diesel over time, I doubt thereā€™d be an issue. Itā€™s actually a very small amount.

Regarding the gas station, Iā€™d report them, definitely.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
BTW, he/she did NOT get fired...
She must have been very good looking.

(yes, yes, I know, not a nice thing to say..... but true, right?) :)

JeepAtLast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 64 FI Vette
Occupation
Service Writer
You should be alright, get some Diesel additive like Standadyne or Optilube. You did not add enough gas to do much if any damage at all. And btw I slept at a Holiday Inn last night, so I know what I am doing, J/K I work in a Diesel Repair Shop, and asked the Master Tech. he agreed.

Sponsored

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I'd syphon that tank and refill it all the way with diesel.
Syphon? Is that even possible any more with the anti-syphons devices in the tank filler?

I agree with the general idea, but I am not sure that you can syphon fuel out of a fuel tank anymore. Perhaps a trip to someplace where they know how to empty and tank and properly dispose of the mixed fuel?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Syphon? Is that even possible any more with the anti-syphons devices in the tank filler?

I agree with the general idea, but I am not sure that you can syphon fuel out of a fuel tank anymore. Perhaps a trip to someplace where they know how to empty and tank and properly dispose of the mixed fuel?

Disconnect the main fuel supply line at the engine, attach hose to disposal drum. Bypass the fuel pump relay, run it dry. Refill with a few gallons, do it again.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
OP I am pulling for you. I am in the fleet business and have had customers do this. We can argue about ratios, but I am told if any has through a diesel fuel system, the system needs to be replaced. It may not be now, but I am told the pressures and tolerances are so tight that damage will be done. I have questioned small amounts before and have been told the same thing. Hereā€™s to hoping.

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR , 2017 Ram 2500, 1990 YJ
Okay Iā€™ve had some issues with my new Jeep. Please donā€™t come at me, I just need some serious advice. (Iā€™ve never owned a Diesel before and Iā€™m not admittedly not a car person, I know nothing).

Had the new EcoDiesel for 2 days. I went to fill up for the first time today as soon as the gas light went on, and used my gas app to find a station with Diesel. Pulled in, and there was a mislabeled pump. I didnā€™t realize until I put $1.36 worth into my tank (.2 of a gallon), but then my friend realized it was EC-90 or some sort of ethanol free expensive gas that said Diesel on the label (and was the price of Diesel), but then the ā€œDieselā€ portion of the label was scratched off with a bic pen (attached pic). I immediately went to another gas station and filled it with diesel then drove 15 minutes home. Realized as I was driving, my friend was googling and seeing how I shouldnā€™t have started the engine (obviously too late).

Anyway, my Jeep is home now. I didnā€™t notice any issues whatsoever, both while driving to the second gas station and then while driving home. We called a mechanic and he came over and said to tow it to his shop and they are gonna drop the tank, drain it and flush it, and replace the filter.

I guess my question is, should I go to the dealership instead? Should I do this with the mechanic? Should I do this at all? Will my warranty and extended warranty be voided due to this if I go to the dealership? (Or at all?)

I really wanted to enjoy my Jeep, but I feel like Iā€™ve just had one mishap after another since getting it, this obviously being the biggest one. Did I ruin my new Jeep? šŸ˜”
I see tons of responses and assume you've drained the tank by now and all is dandy.

In my old diesel trucks/semis when I knew the fuel wasn't treated in the winter and could gel, I was taught to add 1-2 gallons of gas to keep it from gelling. I still do this when I don't have additive and I've never had a problem.
Sponsored