First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Nothing will go wrong. It just wasn't necessary is all. No need to get panicky and make immediate decisions. The cosmetic issues are minor and can be easily fixed.
Sponsored

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Your fine now, if you already went through the hassle of draining the tank so be it, it's done and over with. There wasn't enough gas to mess up the diesel as others have said, your fine so nothing more to worry about. Just drive it now and forget about the bad luck. Things happen..

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
Okay Iā€™ve had some issues with my new Jeep. Please donā€™t come at me, I just need some serious advice. (Iā€™ve never owned a Diesel before and Iā€™m not admittedly not a car person, I know nothing).

Had the new EcoDiesel for 2 days. I went to fill up for the first time today as soon as the gas light went on, and used my gas app to find a station with Diesel. Pulled in, and there was a mislabeled pump. I didnā€™t realize until I put $1.36 worth into my tank (.2 of a gallon), but then my friend realized it was EC-90 or some sort of ethanol free expensive gas that said Diesel on the label (and was the price of Diesel), but then the ā€œDieselā€ portion of the label was scratched off with a bic pen (attached pic). I immediately went to another gas station and filled it with diesel then drove 15 minutes home. Realized as I was driving, my friend was googling and seeing how I shouldnā€™t have started the engine (obviously too late).

Anyway, my Jeep is home now. I didnā€™t notice any issues whatsoever, both while driving to the second gas station and then while driving home. We called a mechanic and he came over and said to tow it to his shop and they are gonna drop the tank, drain it and flush it, and replace the filter.

I guess my question is, should I go to the dealership instead? Should I do this with the mechanic? Should I do this at all? Will my warranty and extended warranty be voided due to this if I go to the dealership? (Or at all?)

I really wanted to enjoy my Jeep, but I feel like Iā€™ve just had one mishap after another since getting it, this obviously being the biggest one. Did I ruin my new Jeep? šŸ˜”

6F1951C6-EC30-42B6-9689-A90CE18D3BCC.jpeg
Isnā€™t REC-90 what people put in their boats?

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So draining the gas tank would be like the morning after pill? šŸ¤”
No. More like "her vigorously washing up after". Nice try, but any "damage" would already be done by then.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Lots of mishaps. The car showed up with a couple cosmetic defects idk if theyā€™re even gonna cover. Maybe I shouldā€™ve just stuck with normal sedans and am not ready for this. Iā€™m a woman who has no effing idea. The original responses said to go ahead and drain and replace the filter so thatā€™s what I went with. Unfortunately now everyone is saying I shouldnā€™t have, so thatā€™s where my frazzle comes from. I have no idea. I give up at this point and hope everything turns out fine. If I have to replace the whole engine now due to something crazy then so be it. My fault I guess.
OP, don't stress over it. Everything will be fine. If you drained the tank and replaced the filter, there is really nothing to mess up. If you haven't you are OK also.

Try to enjoy your new Jeep. Fueling mishaps happen - no big deal. Don't beat yourself up.

Sponsored

High-Strung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLURD
As others have mentioned, if you put such a small amount of gas by accident, I wouldn't worry about it. However, IMHO, I wouldn't trust GasBuddy too much as you probably used it to find the cheapest diesel possible.

On a road trip, I used GasBuddy to find cheap diesel. I ended up at some shady gas station 3 miles from the interstate without a single car in the area pumping fuel there. A week later, the credit card that I never used up until that day for fuel sent me a notice to approve an unauthorized transaction. The sad part is, that I had to go inside and pay with my card since the machine at the pump wasn't working. The only person working there was definitely in on it. All of that drama for trying to save like 20 cents off the gallon lol.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Personally. I don't think that little of gas mixed with diesel would make any differences especially as you filled the tank with more diesel. Just bring it to a normal mechanic though if you need piece of mind, not the dealer. They will use it as an excuse to kill warranty.
100%..AGREE......

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Lots of mishaps. The car showed up with a couple cosmetic defects idk if theyā€™re even gonna cover. Maybe I shouldā€™ve just stuck with normal sedans and am not ready for this. Iā€™m a woman who has no effing idea. The original responses said to go ahead and drain and replace the filter so thatā€™s what I went with. Unfortunately now everyone is saying I shouldnā€™t have, so thatā€™s where my frazzle comes from. I have no idea. I give up at this point and hope everything turns out fine. If I have to replace the whole engine now due to something crazy then so be it. My fault I guess.
I would have erred on the safe side as well and drained the system. Plus...you really do seem to have a solid case to have the station owner cover the cost. If not, it was still way cheaper to have taken the preventative measures straight away. And, it's one of those mistakes that you won't repeat. It will soon be in your rear view mirror and you'll enjoy your new ride.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That little amount of gas mixed with diesel fuel will have zero effects positive or negative. You topped it up with the proper fuel so donā€™t worry about it any more.

It sounds like youā€™re just getting yourself worked up over nothing.
Just drive it and donā€™t give this matter another thought.

[/QUOTE

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
This story reminds me of an old "reversed" story at my career employer many moons ago:

An airhead mail-person (gender avoided to avoid comments) drove a mail van between facilities in our Pittsburgh Headquarters area. One day he/she went to fill up the gasoline tank. Um, you probably guessed it, he/she filled up the gasoline tank with diesel. None of this 0.2 gallon 1% solution as in the above posts, he/she filled the tank all the way. I don't know the cost of repairs, but the traffic manager Tom assured me it wasn't cheap.

Gasoline and Diesel are both hydrocarbon fuels. Both come out of the same refineries, but at different stages of processing crude oil, as I understand it. While the additives are different, I am sure a tankful of diesel thinned by a few ounces of gasoline going into a diesel engine is far, far different than a gasoline engine, expecting both the octane and viscosity of gasoline in its carburetor or fuel injectors, finding in its place thick diesel fuel thinned by whatever gasoline was left in the tank before filling...

BTW, he/she did NOT get fired...

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Your conscience is eating at you, or you would not have posted this. :) If it were me, and for MY peace of mind, I'd syphon that tank and refill it all the way with diesel. Might take a few trips to local gas station to refill the cans, but I would not drive it there. I'd also take your pic of that pump and complain to the manager to fix this ASAP and demand they pay for a fill-up.
Couldn't you just get one can of diesel, pour in jeep, drive jeep to station, fill it up?

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I personally agree with the opinions that itā€™s a tiny amount and got diluted so no issueā€¦and was driven that way prior to dilution and didnā€™t blow. Iā€™d roll with that. Of course a mechanic when asked will advise drain it and such. Heā€™s potentially on hook liability wise once he advises you.

However I do get pause from something that happened in Palm Beach/Miami Dade counties a few years back where a fuel dealer sold some sketchy gas to various law enforcement agencies. Trashed all their cars. Like almost 100. Like totaled the engines. So it is a delicate balance.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I personally agree with the opinions that itā€™s a tiny amount and got diluted so no issueā€¦and was driven that way prior to dilution and didnā€™t blow. Iā€™d roll with that. Of course a mechanic when asked will advise drain it and such. Heā€™s potentially on hook liability wise once he advises you.

However I do get pause from something that happened in Palm Beach/Miami Dade counties a few years back where a fuel dealer sold some sketchy gas to various law enforcement agencies. Trashed all their cars. Like almost 100. Like totaled the engines. So it is a delicate balance.
Exactly. People donā€™t understand this, itā€™s like calling your doctor. They will always tell you to go to the emergency room.

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Didn't read but a couple replies but .2 of a gallon of gasoline won't hurt it. Just top it off with diesel and forget about it.

I'd be having words with the station manager about the pump.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Old school, I've seen the "engine" damage of a gas fill up in a diesel car... but that was a fill up. They also had pumps that could handle it, steel lines and metal injectors with copper O rings.

Now, the pumps today, plastic/rubber lines, injectors and O rings can they handle gas? As diluted as she claims probably be alright.

Now go back and look at the picture. Was it .2 gallons or 2 gallons? Going for a fill up? What was in the tank... 2 - 3 gallons? ... just a guess. Engine could probably handle a 50/50 mix but the fuel system??? idk If damage was done it was driving from station to station. ... or
Sponsored