Misch big boy seat extender

Heatonrx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlU Rubicon
Anyone 6"5" or taller install this? Pretty sure my head will hit the rollbar.
Sponsored

AKAphoenix

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Shopping
This would definitely be on my must get list. I bought the 4 door extenders second hand from a member and was contemplating getting the grinder out and seeing if they could be shoe horned in to my 2 door but I wasn't looking forward to it.
Who did you get 4 door extenders from? I'm in need of more space for my height in the driver's seat. I'm leaning all the time.

AKAphoenix

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Shopping
FYI re 2 door version coming

from manufacturer

We are actually in the process of designing a new BigBoy seat bracket that will fit the 2-door JL. It is looking like it will be very, very tight spacing but it appears possible. We hope to have prototypes out in the coming months. If we are able to make a 2-door version, we will contact you with more information.
Who is this that makes a "bigboy" seat bracket? I need to move the seat lower or have foam taken out since my head hits the roll bar or hard top currently.

AKAphoenix

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Shopping
This would definitely be on my must get list. I bought the 4 door extenders second hand from a member and was contemplating getting the grinder out and seeing if they could be shoe horned in to my 2 door but I wasn't looking forward to it.
Never mind I found the link in the thread and see it's only for leg room. Does no one else hit their head in their new JL? I can't be alone in looking like a ghetto troller, leaning to the side all the time to avoid hitting my head.

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Never mind I found the link in the thread and see it's only for leg room. Does no one else hit their head in their new JL? I can't be alone in looking like a ghetto troller, leaning to the side all the time to avoid hitting my head.

Im with you man. 6"7 here. Last night i reached out to 10 different custom car mod shops to inquire about modding the frame and the seat. I am thinking it will be a mix of cutting the frame down and removing some foam from the seat. Praying I can figure something out.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I trimmed the Jeep rubber floor mats to fit in rear. No cuts needed in front. I also notched the side trim panel in rear so seat bracket didn’t rest on top of the wall trim.

D4188AED-5C2C-40E5-A579-AB96728732B2.jpeg

Dspencer

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
i also just installed the Misch Big Boy brackets on the Driver side of my JLUR and am very pleased with them! I am 6'4" with size 15 shoes. These brackets make driving my Jeep much more enjoyable and I dont get my feet tangled up in the pedals!!

OP
OP

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
i also just installed the Misch Big Boy brackets on the Driver side of my JLUR and am very pleased with them! I am 6'4" with size 15 shoes. These brackets make driving my Jeep much more enjoyable and I dont get my feet tangled up in the pedals!!
Did you have to notch the wall trim to get the seat bracket from resting on top? When I initially installed it, I just left it on top of the trim but it was causing the trim to pop loose.... so I notched a section out for the seat bracket to go into vs sit on top of.

Dspencer

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
i'm not sure what wall trim is however, my installation did not require and cutting. drilling or grinding. Simple bolt in installation that took less then 10 minutes. The only issue that I have is that the OEM rear floor mats do not lay flat because of the new brackets.

Reactions: TJP

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
6'7" here. Still haven't tried this, but will need to figure something out for the long term. Don't bother trying this because the new inches of leg room it gives me guarantees i will hit my head on the roll bar, or have to duck my head the entire time i drive.

RIght now I can drive ok, but cannot stretch my chest or neck out. For really long drives, I just lean the seat way back to stretch my upper body. If anyone saw me they would probably think im nearly laying down ha.

I really do need to figure out a solution eventually. I'm not asking for much. 2 inches back and 3 inches lower. It seems reasonable if you ask me...

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
6'7" here. Still haven't tried this, but will need to figure something out for the long term. Don't bother trying this because the new inches of leg room it gives me guarantees i will hit my head on the roll bar, or have to duck my head the entire time i drive.

RIght now I can drive ok, but cannot stretch my chest or neck out. For really long drives, I just lean the seat way back to stretch my upper body. If anyone saw me they would probably think im nearly laying down ha.

I really do need to figure out a solution eventually. I'm not asking for much. 2 inches back and 3 inches lower. It seems reasonable if you ask me...
@AKAphoenix I went deep down this path a year ago bc I'm about 6'4" with a longer torso and my head touches the roll bar if I sit up straight. Took it to 2 auto fab shops...one that fabs auto seats. They said there was no room to drop it lower and removing padding was the best option or find an aftermarket seat. I had 1.5" of seat padding taken out by an upholstery shop and it initially helped alot, but I started feeling the support beams in the seat after a month and had the padding added back.:headbang: I also called several seat MFG and none had any plans to make a JL seat anytime soon. I finally resided to having to slouch a bit in mine.:facepalm:

jeffk813

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Edition
This thread is very reassuring. I sold my beloved '04 TJ a few years ago after getting in a motorcycle accident and bought a full size pickup which was easier for me to get in and out of. I hesitated getting a new Jeep since I'm 6'4" and am a pretty big dude, and due to physical limitations, I don't bend and flex like I used to. In the stock seating position in my JLU, I have a little bit of headroom and my belly barely touches the bottom of the steering wheel. While I'm working on getting rid of some of that belly, I saw these Misch Big Boy brackets and picked up a set. I'll be installing them this evening (or maybe tomorrow morning). I'm really hoping it relieves the worst part though. The bony part of the side of my right knee hits the 4WD shift stick and after a while it gets pretty sore. If I'm able to straighten out my leg a bit, it should alleviate this issue and I'll be able to drive comfortably. If this works in my JLU, I'll get another for my wife's Gladiator and I'll be able to drive that one as well. (If she lets me that is...)

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
This thread is very reassuring. I sold my beloved '04 TJ a few years ago after getting in a motorcycle accident and bought a full size pickup which was easier for me to get in and out of. I hesitated getting a new Jeep since I'm 6'4" and am a pretty big dude, and due to physical limitations, I don't bend and flex like I used to. In the stock seating position in my JLU, I have a little bit of headroom and my belly barely touches the bottom of the steering wheel. While I'm working on getting rid of some of that belly, I saw these Misch Big Boy brackets and picked up a set. I'll be installing them this evening (or maybe tomorrow morning). I'm really hoping it relieves the worst part though. The bony part of the side of my right knee hits the 4WD shift stick and after a while it gets pretty sore. If I'm able to straighten out my leg a bit, it should alleviate this issue and I'll be able to drive comfortably. If this works in my JLU, I'll get another for my wife's Gladiator and I'll be able to drive that one as well. (If she lets me that is...)
Let us know how it goes

Last edited:

jeffk813

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Edition
SO I installed the brackets an hour or so ago, and it made a world of difference! I'm close to bumping my head on the soundbar but I can adjust the seat recline to minimize that. It took myself and my son about an hour. The only issue we had was that the hole in the right side rail front has a hole in it to allow access to the seat bolt. This is fine when you're taking out the torx bolt that fastens the seat to the floor, but when you're trying to attach the bracket using the carriage bolt and nut to that hole location, the access hole is just a bit to small to allow a socket to contact the nut. I had to use a grinding wheel on my dremel and enlarge the hole just a bit. After all that it was a breeze. I would suggest following the instructions and removing the seat from the vehicle. We tried to install the brackets while it was still in, but ended up removing it and it was much easier. Oh, and don't forget to plug in the seat wiring before you bolt the seat back down like I did. I started her up and got all kinds of airbag warning lights etc.

I actually have the seat a bit up from all the way back as I can't reach the pedals :)