JeepChick

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited 2.0
Hi Everyone,

I had some bird poop on my front hood and I found that after I removed it with lots of water and a paper towel, it still managed to leave some circular scuff marks. I think it's only the clear coat but if it catches the light a certain way it's noticeable (to me). Anything anyone can recommend to fill that superficial scratch? Any product or anything I should do to make it a little less noticeable. I'm very sad! Darn birds.
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Maguires has the product at your local auto parts store

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Take it to a qualified detailed and have them polish it. Shouldn’t take long at all.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
It was a good idea to get the bird crap off ASAP But next time try not to use paper towel use water and your hand and then wash your hands

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,

I had some bird poop on my front hood and I found that after I removed it with lots of water and a paper towel, it still managed to leave some circular scuff marks. I think it's only the clear coat but if it catches the light a certain way it's noticeable (to me). Anything anyone can recommend to fill that superficial scratch? Any product or anything I should do to make it a little less noticeable. I'm very sad! Darn birds.

It's a Jeep, Chick!

(But still... don't use paper towels.)

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
It's likely wasnt the paper towel but rather the acid in the bird poop that etched into your paint from being on there too long.

I prefer to blast the off with a hose then clean up the mess if your at home when you remove it.

You'll likely be able to remove it with a rubbing compound from a company like meguiars.

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
try this...if it doesn't remove it then have a detailer look at it

download.jpeg

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Take it to a qualified detailed and have them polish it. Shouldn’t take long at all.
This! Also, never use paper towels or bath towels on your paint. Only use quality microfiber towels because the aforementioned will scratch your paint.

OP
OP

JeepChick

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited 2.0
Thanks all. I will check those recommendations out. Appreciate it. I won't use paper towel again but I really believe it was a bit of grit in the poop. . . It's a couple of lines but not the whole area. Thanks again :)

Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Hi Everyone,

This is what I use, 3M HandGlaze, and then afterwards I use some kind of paste was, like Turtle Wax.

https://www.jegs.com/i/3M-Products/133/05990/10002/-1

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
LIke LowCountry said, I've had great results using the Meguiar's Scratch X as well.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Thanks all. I will check those recommendations out. Appreciate it. I won't use paper towel again but I really believe it was a bit of grit in the poop. . . It's a couple of lines but not the whole area. Thanks again :)
It very well could have been small rocks in the poop because birds eat tiny rocks to aid with digestion. But keep in mind, improper towels will cause swirls over time. A Metrovac is an even better investment.

xtremegene02

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi Everyone,

Okay JC, So some rubbing compound and or clay bar will help depending on how deep the scratches are. If using rubbing compound use a extra fine compound that way you won't make them bigger and deeper. Good luck

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
It very well could have been small rocks in the poop because birds eat tiny rocks to aid with digestion. But keep in mind, improper towels will cause swirls over time. A Metrovac is an even better investment.
Ohhhh I love my metrovac. It’s like 15 years old now and still kicking.
My wife just got a professional doc grooming dryer. That this blows the doors off my metro. I have no idea why you would ever turn it up that high to dry a dog anyway. You would blow it off the table. Lol. She barely turns it on. I didn’t try it out yet on my jeep though. Hose isn’t long enough.
Sponsored