First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all

Just bought my JLUS last month, and I'm already heavy into getting her Jamboree ready (Silver Springs, ID and Big Horn, WY already planned). With space being incredibly precious and scarce, especially considering my 3rd row seat consumes most of the trunk, I'm looking to assemble a tool set filled with all of the necessities while maintaining as small of a footprint as possible. Being able to stuff a complete set under the driver or passenger seat would be ideal. I'm sure I'm not the first person to venture down this same challenge, and am looking for recommendations on the BARE MINIMUM set of tools y'all consider are essential on any trip. Whachy'all think?

Thanks!
Sponsored

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Also interested in this thread. To add, does anyone know the socket sizes a JL needs to handle all the bolts by any chance?

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
I carry a small mechanics toolset that has the 190 pieces or what have you in the plastic case, a hammer, and a small pry bar, a leatherman for pliers and wiring, and a descent brand crescent wrench. Zip ties can be useful as well. It seems you always need some metric and some standard wrenches. If you are going on the Jamboree they have a list of recommended items to bring and you are with enough other Jeepers you can usually get some help or assistance. It is nice to have these necessary tools anytime you take a trip for piece of mind and for the off chance you might need them. One item I just added to my new jeep was a dog barrier from XGcargo that adds a bunch of storage options. They make some cool bags that fit in unused areas in the Jeep as well like on the rear roll bar. Of course I really like keeping a hi-lift jack, an on-board air compressor, and various other straps and snatch blocks in the jeep when getting into the deep Idaho and Wyoming backcountry. Oh, definately try to keep some spare fuses for the Jeep in the glove box. It is nice to be able to make a quick fix and get back on the trail. FYI Bring lots of trail snacks, you might have to trade with the locals.

This was a great idea too for better use of storage: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/whats-in-your-cargo-tub.11174/#post-271140

Last edited:

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Can't really help on the minimalist part ... I seem to be a pack rat when it comes to tools. One decision I made that is smart - I think - is that I settled on only carrying 3/8" drive sockets. My set goes up to 22mm which should cover off road needs.

I can offer a suggestion for tool storage though ... check out my posting here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cheap-jeep-hacks-show-em-off-here.18785/page-12 The military style bags fit perfectly in the under deck cargo tub. Plus, two smaller bags offer more options for arrangement than one big one. The "document" bags really help with organization ... metric combination wrenches in one; metric sockets in another; pliers, screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, etc in another.

OP
OP
aklino

aklino

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! The document pouches could work well, but I only have a few inches of access into the cargo tub because my 3rd row seat straddles over the top of it. I suppose using the pouches without the larger bag would work still though.

I want to avoid hauling a bunch of useless tools as most everything is metric on the JL. I stumbled upon the following moments ago, and thought it was really useful to this thread, especially @GeoTracker 's inquiry on socket sizes -- https://www.northridge4x4.com/pages/quick-reference-chart

Zip ties are a must for us lowly non-Rubi owners that must manually disconnect their sway bar.. LOL! Many other uses too. Duct tape is always handy to have as well.

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Awesome! ... I suppose using the pouches without the larger bag would work still though.

I want to avoid hauling a bunch of useless tools as most everything is metric on the JL. I stumbled upon the following moments ago, and thought it was really useful to this thread, especially @GeoTracker 's inquiry on socket sizes -- https://www.northridge4x4.com/pages/quick-reference-chart
The pouches would work tucked into small spaces.

The Northridge 4x4 chart looks like it's for a JK ... wheel lug nuts are 19mm in the chart where the JL has 22mm lug nuts.

@Tech Tim ... Hey Tim, does Northridge 4x4 have a JL chart of nut sizes? Where did you guys get the JK chart from? Can you help this thread topic out?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all

Just bought my JLUS last month, and I'm already heavy into getting her Jamboree ready (Silver Springs, ID and Big Horn, WY already planned). With space being incredibly precious and scarce, especially considering my 3rd row seat consumes most of the trunk, I'm looking to assemble a tool set filled with all of the necessities while maintaining as small of a footprint as possible. Being able to stuff a complete set under the driver or passenger seat would be ideal. I'm sure I'm not the first person to venture down this same challenge, and am looking for recommendations on the BARE MINIMUM set of tools y'all consider are essential on any trip. Whachy'all think?

Thanks!
You mean the Silver Valley Jamboree, right? Love the Silver Valley, spending mid-March to mid-April there.

OP
OP
aklino

aklino

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You mean the Silver Valley Jamboree, right? Love the Silver Valley, spending mid-March to mid-April there.
Indeed. In June, I'm going to the Silver Valley, ID Jamboree with a friend. Then in August, I'm going to the Big Horn, WY Jamboree with my wife and four kids (thus the third row seat) in my JLUS, and my brother and sister-in-law and their two daughters in their JLUR. Wyoming will be a two-day road trip each way for us. Hopefully my daughters and nieces appreciate the time together, and not make us want to strangle them. LOL! My sons are chill and will totally enjoy the trip, no doubt. And now you know why I'm so concerned with packing as light as possible.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Go to harbor freight and buy one of their tool sets. Not very expensive and they come packaged. If you ever break anything you can get it swapped for free, and if you loose something you won't cry. I used to carry around my nice Nepros but a few lost/walked off tools later and those stay at home, and the HF come with me.

Also suggest grabbing an electric high torque impact wrench. There are some that go up to 700 ft/lb but 400+ is plenty to do anything you might need and you don't have to worry about air.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The pouches would work tucked into small spaces.

The Northridge 4x4 chart looks like it's for a JK ... wheel lug nuts are 19mm in the chart where the JL has 22mm lug nuts.

@Tech Tim ... Hey Tim, does Northridge 4x4 have a JL chart of nut sizes? Where did you guys get the JK chart from? Can you help this thread topic out?
I think the answer is Yes!
9A05682F-CA10-4AA7-BE40-B0DDF7309090.png

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed. In June, I'm going to the Silver Valley, ID Jamboree with a friend. Then in August, I'm going to the Big Horn, WY Jamboree with my wife and four kids (thus the third row seat) in my JLUS, and my brother and sister-in-law and their two daughters in their JLUR. Wyoming will be a two-day road trip each way for us. Hopefully my daughters and nieces appreciate the time together, and not make us want to strangle them. LOL! My sons are chill and will totally enjoy the trip, no doubt. And now you know why I'm so concerned with packing as light as possible.
Will the Jamoree rules let you have a non-manufacturer 3rd seat? They have a lot of rules about equipment.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
It show my JLUR 2018 on the website and still shows the wrong lug nut size, just like in the screenshot I replied to.