Sponsored

Mini Tazer - Dark Mode Needs an Update (Disappointing Customer Service)

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I don’t know about anyone else, but for those of us who are running night vision for trips, I thought the Tazer was going to be a huge win rather than the disappointment it has turned out to be. The Dark Mode is a feature that allows you to kill all lights, however it automatically turns off at speeds over 5mph which completely defeats the purpose.

I spoke with one of the Z Automotive customer service reps several times and he promised repeatedly to send me a software update to change the speed limits. So I bit the bullet and bought one of the Tazers. Circled up with him and he went AWOL despite repeated attempts to get back in touch via email and phone.

The solution to this is we basically have to shut off all DRL, put blackout fabric over the brake lights (if you tap the brakes in a convoy you blind the driver behind you), and then use foam pads to cover all lights inside the cabin.

I don’t know what needs to happen to get Z Auto to fix this or work with us, but it seems like even upping the speed to 25-30mph, something more realistic so that we can at least run off road, would be relatively simple.

Anyone have any luck with this or know someone at Z who can help?
Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The lawyers probably said now way. I would love to just cruise some trail during a full moon in dark mode.

c7j6y1

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUD "Bender" '22 Silverado RST "Reaper"
Occupation
Emergency vehicle technician.
sorry to be "that guy" But under what circumstances do you need to be going that fast, at night, that close together blacked out?
NVG's ruin depth perception and it just seems unnecessarily dangerous

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
sorry to be "that guy" But under what circumstances do you need to be going that fast, at night, that close together blacked out?
NVG's ruin depth perception and it just seems unnecessarily dangerous
I added a buffer to that. We run anywhere between 10-15mph offroad at the top end. However, sometimes we are in back country on dirt roads to get to trails.

I do not find a huge loss of depth perception when running with goggles or any type of dual-tube setup. You lose field of view and practice walking, running, and driving helps to offset and depth perception. I find that visibility is 100% better when running with NODs versus lights on trails. You see much much more.

I may not tackle extreme rock crawling with them on, but moderate to hard trails are a lot of fun to run this way.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
The lawyers probably said now way. I would love to just cruise some trail during a full moon in dark mode.
It is a blast. We run PV1531s or dual PVS14s on pano-bridges for wider fields of view.

I could be happy if they bumped this to 15mph. Complete PITA. The alternative is to try to hard wire some switches into fuse boxes and I am not sure I am that courageou.

Sponsored

Recoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
I have nothing helpful to add to this thread. I'm just blown away at the idea of driving with only NVG. It seems like a dangerous novelty.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I have nothing helpful to add to this thread. I'm just blown away at the idea of driving with only NVG. It seems like a dangerous novelty.
Not that dangerous, but it depends on the type of driving. If you need to have a spotter, then probably a good idea to run with lights versus NVGs. People have been driving at high speeds with NODS for decades.

Khoality

First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2024 JT Mojave
Resurfacing this thread. Has the Tazer been updated to allow higher speeds with dark mode? I'm also looking for a solution to kill external lights for NVG driving.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Resurfacing this thread. Has the Tazer been updated to allow higher speeds with dark mode? I'm also looking for a solution to kill external lights for NVG driving.
Not to my knowledge….

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
this sounds like another one of those things that 1 in every 25,000 Jeep owners would be concerned about and no one is going to spend time ore $$ to come up with a fix for it.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I tried to bug Tazer about it for a bit but they basically said there is too much liability to do this.

There are some other ways I think, like wiring a kill switch to the brake lights, but I haven’t figured that out yet.
Sponsored