First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be a jockey making dad
The bright side of being built low to the ground is if someone drops 20.00 on the floor you will get to it quicker that the V-ball and B-ball people :clap:

mmcmahon

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a little under 6'2" and have sat in several JLs but not driven them yet .It did seem slightly tight but fine . I've seen multiple posts like yours though and it's making me a little nervous.
I'm 6-1 and its fine

drbsp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition
You and I have had ours for just about the same amount of time. I agree with all the likes you mentioned, but your dislikes, well...I'm 5'7" and I love the driving position, mine came with the tool kit. I'm with you on the last one...I hate the ESS...training myself to hit the override as soon as I hit start...

I'm 5'6 and 155lbs. I have a 16 JK and feel the driving position to be a little too low in the JK. The JL is perfect for guys like me, I feel as if I sit much higher up and given my stature, I still have plenty of room. My JLU is coming within the next week and I'm looking forward to it. Finally a vehicle for the small guy. I do hope you bigger guys find a solution.

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
So I've had my JL right at 24 hours and driving about 60 miles in it. There are things I love and a couple of things that I consider a problem.

First what I love:
  • Fit and finish seems very tight. Feels very high quality. I love the ergonomics of the controls
  • Android Auto
  • How it drives. It handles very much like our Grand Cherokee and I think it rides better (to be fair, our WK2 has a 2" lift so it's not exactly apples to apples)
  • Performance. The engine/auto-transmission combination works very well together. Seems much better than my JK.
What I don't like:

• The driving position. I'm a big guy, 6'3" 300lbs. The lowest setting on the seat puts my eyes way above the instruments so that i'ts hard to see the top 1/4 of the display. The seatbelt is quite snug and leaves little room for movement. To be clear, I never felt at all restricted with my JK's belt. The elevated position also makes it uncomfortable keeping the foot on the gas pedal on a longer drive. My wife once had a Scion XB and it made me feel the same way. Also, with my leg on the gas pedal, my knee is embedded in the transfer case lever. It is very uncomfortable. My wife is 6'0" tall and she feels the same way. To see the instruments completely, I have to recline my seat back considerably, which puts my head directly under the rollbar. In a collision, I would definitely crack my head on the rollbar.
  • No toolkit included with mine
  • start/stop. I just don't like it.

Someone needs to develop some seat drop and extended brackets for the seat. If anyone knows of any, let me know!

Otherwise, I love the Jeep.
Same here on the tool kit. Well, the trail rated kit. Calling dealer about it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
offcamber

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Same here on the tool kit. Well, the trail rated kit. Calling dealer about it.
Dealer ordered me another one. I eventually found mine in the cubby hole in the rear in the bag with the license plate frame and window straps.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Window Straps?
Probably the strap that holds the front windshield down when in the down position for speeds over 45mph or when off-road

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The problem with lowering the seat is that it fixes the head room issue for tall guys, but makes the leg room issue worse. If you sat lower, then your knees and the back of your legs would be pointed upward. Very uncomfy. The entire design needs to be larger. The JKU was more comfortable for me than the JLU. In fact, my JKU was one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever owned, and I've had a lot of full size trucks.

The windows being one touch down but not up is very annoying. First thing my wife noticed. Lol.

I hate the new door stops. I like the JK style with the strap that just slides up and over a hook. Much faster and easier.

Why didn't they just go ahead and make the entire Jeep aluminum? If they had made the floor pans and rear quarter panels aluminum we'd never have to worry about rust.

I don't know why people hate ESS so much. I haven't turned mine off once yet. I love it. 21.3 MPGs in a Wrangler doing a 50/50 mix of city and highway which puts me 1.3 MPG above the EPA rating so far, and it's going to get better when the engine is broken in and the HVAC controls get turned off for summer. I'm in love with this powertrain.

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
Probably the strap that holds the front windshield down when in the down position for speeds over 45mph or when off-road
Wow. Who is supposed to teach us about all this... We are first-time Jeep owners and the dealership never even said anything about the window straps, they suck. The more I read about what you all are trying to teach me about, the more aggravated I'm getting. Where would I find these at in the Jeep? Thank you

Sponsored

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
Wow. Who is supposed to teach us about all this... We are first-time Jeep owners and the dealership never even said anything about the window straps, they suck. The more I read about what you all are trying to teach me about, the more aggravated I'm getting. Where would I find these at in the Jeep? Thank you
I believe I read something about the window straps being an add-on that have to be purchased separately.

A lot of this information is in your owner’s manual. You can call Jeep Cares and ask them to mail you a printed manual, if you’re not a fan of the online version.

And you can always ask here. You’ve made the best first step by finding an enthusiast forum, filled with all kinds of Jeep Owners who talk about all kinds of stuff! I still learn new stuff and I’ve had my Jeep for five years now!

Cyclone88

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2012 JK Sport, 2013 Mini Countryman
Vehicle Showcase
No toolkit included with mine
Mine didn't come with the toolkit either, so I called my dealership and told them I'd be picking one up when my plates came in. Had to remind them a few times, but that kit is supposed to be standard so I just insisted on them finding one. I actually spoke to their parts department when I went in before checking with the salesperson I worked with, his response kind of led me to believe they may have been removing those kits out of ignorance or a misguided attempt to sell them separately. His initial response was that he would need to charge me for it or have a manager come speak to me. I just walked away and checked with the lady I worked with originally and she'd pulled one for my and kept it in her desk.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
My dealer had everything that was included sitting on my front seat.... then went over everything and it’s use. The strap should be included with your manual bag along with top removal kit... when you do the FCA review then ding them on the items they didn’t go over with you... they should’ve programmed your phones to the U connect system...this forum will have a list of everything a dealer should show you. Not my first Jeep so I already knew how to do everything but to a new owner it can be a little daunting....

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Okay, I am going to jump on this thread.

I am a tall man (6'4"), I am pretty comfortable in the driver seat. The seat is as low as it can go, and I have it reclined a bit that my head is sort of lined up with B-pillar I guess. My wife thinks I will die if I get in an accident as my head will hit some part of the roll cage. Definitely tighter than my old TJ, but its a Jeep, and I didn't expect a world of room. I do love that I can stretch out my left leg, that there is no dummy pedal or anything there (My Wife's Explorer, its way to close). I will eventually write a full review, but I need to drive it longer first (only 500 miles so far). But here are couple pet peeves:

1. I love the stereo controls on the steering wheel, use them as much as possible. But if you use the real volume knob, its really loose... anyone else have that too? It should be firm and the indents on rotation should hold it better. I can't believe how often my hand brushes by it when reaching around that I crank the volume by brushing the knob.

2. I have this habit of resting my hand on the shifter. I even use it as sort of a grab handle when making turns. But I am learning I can't do this in the Jeep, as I kick it over from Drive to Manual. I do this multiple times a day. I wish there was a gate to get the transmission selector into manual. I feel it when i do it, and its just as easy to slide it back over to Drive. Maybe need to rest hand on the transfer case knob. :)

In other areas. I love the ESS. Not sure why its so hated here. Just my 2 cents on it.

clf1024

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 JL Sahara
I've had my Jeep JL Sahara 4 door 2018 since July. I too, believe and hope there is something after-market to lower the seat. I'm 5'11 and I can seat some of the console alerts and I'm constantly having to adjust the mirror. It's a little awkward too, coming from a 2015 2dr JK, I'd have the seat, straight up but the driver seat is set at an angle. My other complaint is w/ the usb in the front console. It's so tight, and putting the cable in/out is awkward, granted I leave the cable in there all the time now, some times i have to adjust a little to make sure it's charging my iPhone.
Sponsored