Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
  • Banned
So I've had my JL right at 24 hours and driving about 60 miles in it. There are things I love and a couple of things that I consider a problem.

First what I love:
  • Fit and finish seems very tight. Feels very high quality. I love the ergonomics of the controls
  • Android Auto
  • How it drives. It handles very much like our Grand Cherokee and I think it rides better (to be fair, our WK2 has a 2" lift so it's not exactly apples to apples)
  • Performance. The engine/auto-transmission combination works very well together. Seems much better than my JK.
What I don't like:

• The driving position. I'm a big guy, 6'3" 300lbs. The lowest setting on the seat puts my eyes way above the instruments so that i'ts hard to see the top 1/4 of the display. The seatbelt is quite snug and leaves little room for movement. To be clear, I never felt at all restricted with my JK's belt. The elevated position also makes it uncomfortable keeping the foot on the gas pedal on a longer drive. My wife once had a Scion XB and it made me feel the same way. Also, with my leg on the gas pedal, my knee is embedded in the transfer case lever. It is very uncomfortable. My wife is 6'0" tall and she feels the same way. To see the instruments completely, I have to recline my seat back considerably, which puts my head directly under the rollbar. In a collision, I would definitely crack my head on the rollbar.
  • No toolkit included with mine
  • start/stop. I just don't like it.

Someone needs to develop some seat drop and extended brackets for the seat. If anyone knows of any, let me know!

Otherwise, I love the Jeep.
Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
I'm a little under 6'2" and have sat in several JLs but not driven them yet .It did seem slightly tight but fine . I've seen multiple posts like yours though and it's making me a little nervous.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I myself am 6 ft and around 300 too. I bought a 17 JK recently, but had to go see the JL for myself, and I have to agree with the sentiments here. I felt VERY restricted in the JL, it felt much tighter to me than the JK, seats did not seem to go back as far to me, and the hard top roof felt like it was right on top of me. I was only in it for like 2 minutes, so maybe if I had one it would grow on me, but first impressions, I was very glad I went with the JK from that perspective.

OP
OP
offcamber

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I'm a little under 6'2" and have sat in several JLs but not driven them yet .It did seem slightly tight but fine . I've seen multiple posts like yours though and it's making me a little nervous.
I'm hoping I adjust and/or can find an aftermarket solution to drop the seat or move it back slightly.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So I've had my JL right at 24 hours and driving about 60 miles in it. There are things I love and a couple of things that I consider a problem.

First what I love:
  • Fit and finish seems very tight. Feels very high quality. I love the ergonomics of the controls
  • Android Auto
  • How it drives. It handles very much like our Grand Cherokee and I think it rides better (to be fair, our WK2 has a 2" lift so it's not exactly apples to apples)
  • Performance. The engine/auto-transmission combination works very well together. Seems much better than my JK.
What I don't like:

• The driving position. I'm a big guy, 6'3" 300lbs. The lowest setting on the seat puts my eyes way above the instruments so that i'ts hard to see the top 1/4 of the display. The seatbelt is quite snug and leaves little room for movement. To be clear, I never felt at all restricted with my JK's belt. The elevated position also makes it uncomfortable keeping the foot on the gas pedal on a longer drive. My wife once had a Scion XB and it made me feel the same way. Also, with my leg on the gas pedal, my knee is embedded in the transfer case lever. It is very uncomfortable. My wife is 6'0" tall and she feels the same way. To see the instruments completely, I have to recline my seat back considerably, which puts my head directly under the rollbar. In a collision, I would definitely crack my head on the rollbar.

Someone needs to develop some seat drop and extended brackets for the seat. If anyone knows of any, let me know!

You and I have had ours for just about the same amount of time. I agree with all the likes you mentioned, but your dislikes, well...I'm 5'7" and I love the driving position, mine came with the tool kit. I'm with you on the last one...I hate the ESS...training myself to hit the override as soon as I hit start...

Sponsored

johnnytaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ
I'm 6'0" and fit fine after adjusting things a bit. I'm sitting the lowest it will go and feel like I could sit higher, though I wouldn't want to. I had to raise the steering wheel a notch to see the speedometer.

The toolkit, if I recall, was with the owner's manual and tan case in shrink wrap.

I've had my JL for a week. I had major buyer's remorse the first night (after my kids complained about the back seat). But since then I've fallen in love with it... My only constructive thoughts are:
  • Engine start/stop - I agree, this is so annoying. I get that it saves gas but I want the option to keep it off if I want it off (even between engine re-starts). I'm thinking about bypassing with the hood switch. Either that or make it habit to push that button every time I start the engine.
  • The side steps are a little awkward on the Sahara. They look good but they're almost in the way for me. I don't really need them but feel like I have to step over them to get in. They help with the kids and wife though.
  • The windows don't auto-up, just down. LOL first world problems
  • I haven't taken the doors off yet but that one extra bolt stinks, wish it would snap in instead. Coming from a TJ, I could use my fingers to take off the nuts and pull the doors off in seconds.
  • I reallllllly wish the hard top rear windows would come out. Then I could take the doors off, those windows out, and basically have a hard bikini top.
  • They put USB-C everywhere but the one place I need it, in the center console! I can obviously get over this but seemed weird to leave it out where I'm most likely to (eventually) plug my phone in.
  • I keep wondering if I should have gotten a Rubi.. though I'll probably never off-road.

Those problems are all pretty silly and small though, they definitely don't keep me up at night or make me regret buying it. I love the Jeep as my daily driver. My old daily driver was a Lexus GS sedan. :)

jt

OP
OP
offcamber

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I'm 6'0" and fit fine after adjusting things a bit. I'm sitting the lowest it will go and feel like I could sit higher, though I wouldn't want to. I had to raise the steering wheel a notch to see the speedometer.

The toolkit, if I recall, was with the owner's manual and tan case in shrink wrap.

I've had my JL for a week. I had major buyer's remorse the first night (after my kids complained about the back seat). But since then I've fallen in love with it... My only constructive thoughts are:
  • Engine start/stop - I agree, this is so annoying. I get that it saves gas but I want the option to keep it off if I want it off (even between engine re-starts). I'm thinking about bypassing with the hood switch. Either that or make it habit to push that button every time I start the engine.
  • The side steps are a little awkward on the Sahara. They look good but they're almost in the way for me. I don't really need them but feel like I have to step over them to get in. They help with the kids and wife though.
  • I haven't taken the doors off yet but that one extra bolt stinks, wish it would snap in instead. Coming from a TJ, I could use my fingers to take off the nuts and pull the doors off in seconds.
  • I reallllllly wish the hard top rear windows would come out. Then I could take the doors off, those windows out, and basically have a hard bikini top.
  • They put USB-C everywhere but the one place I need it, in the center console! I can obviously get over this but seemed weird to leave it out where I'm most likely to (eventually) plug my phone in.
  • I keep wondering if I should have gotten a Rubi.. though I'll probably never off-road.

Those problems are all pretty silly and small though, they definitely don't keep me up at night or make me regret buying it. I love the Jeep as my daily driver. My old daily driver was a Lexus GS sedan. :)

jt
What do you use USB C for? I have a samsung that uses USB-C for the charging cable but the end of the cable that plugs into the Jeep is standard USB. So do you have a cable that is USB C on both ends?

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon

jt

I thought the center console had a usb c port. when you open the media cover, it should have an aux port, usb and usb c port.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

johnnytaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ
What do you use USB C for? I have a samsung that uses USB-C for the charging cable but the end of the cable that plugs into the Jeep is standard USB. So do you have a cable that is USB C on both ends?
I have a cable that is USB-C on both ends. I need to buy a USB-old to USB-C so it will work from the center console. No big deal. Just weird that the other 3 USB ports have C too.

johnnytaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ
I thought the center console had a usb c port. when you open the media cover, it should have an aux port, usb and usb c port.
You're right about the one on the dash, but in the center console it's just standard USB. The rear of the center console (facing back seats) has 2 std USB and 2 USB-C.

Again such a minor thing, just seemed weird that one of the 4 is unlike the others... lol

Also there's no difference in cable, USB-C to USB-C or USB-std to USB-C, other than USB-C is just smaller and can go either direction.

Android Auto rocks, by the way!

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
There should be a USB - C just above the USB in front and in back on Rubi & Sahara

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

First what I love:
  • Android Auto
What I don't like:

2 door or 4 door? Sport, Sahara or Rubi?

Edit: must be 4 door since 2 door production has not started.

GhostlyRides

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Sales Consultant

First what I love:
  • Android Auto
What I don't like:

To the OP, where did you buy your Jeep? and if you do not mind me asking how much did you pay?
Sponsored