Vehicle Showcase

Ccameron511

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Has anyone had any success running the Gladiator steelies on a JLUR? I called the dealership and they seem to be shying away from installing because it's not technically made for the Wrangler. In theory it should be fine considering the size alignment, right?

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Jeep Wrangler JL Military Style Wheels for JLUR 1631409371430

Mammoth General, 17x9 5x5

I believe the bolts are able to be removed and replaced if you wanted to change them out to black ones for a more authentic look.

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2011 JKUR
Resurrecting this thread in case anyone is still looking for a good wheel tire combo. I think I may have found the perfect combo of wheels and tires for a "military" or old school look for the JL as far as wheels go. Strap in, this is a long post...lots of info, lots of spec, and most importantly lots of pics!

Here's the setup:
  • 2018 JLU Sport S, 3.6l Gas, Auto, 3.45 gears, and Mopar 2" lift
  • Tires: 285/75R18 Goodyear Duratrac
    • Specs: 35.1" tall, 11.2"tread width, and 18" rim
    • I wanted to run this tire due to it measuring as a true 35" tire and it's the same width as stock Rubicon tires (11.2")
    • I've run these tires on a past 4x4 van with great results, I just love Duratracs for year round driving in Colorado
  • Wheels: 18x8 stock steel spare wheels from Grand Cherokee or Durango
    • Specs: 18x8, +56mm offset, 71.5mm hub bore, steel
    • Part number: 04755212AC (there are several variations of part numbers but this should get you started for your search)
    • I hate flashy wheels, honestly the rubicon wheels with the silver lip is just ugly to me. I wanted a classic steel wheel look. This was the hard part because nearly no one makes an 18" steel wheel! Luckily Mopar took take of that while making spare wheels haha
    • They are +56mm offset...so this brought them in +12mm closer than the stock Rubicon wheels (+44mm) I had on before. When these new wheels/tires were mounted I had rubbing on the sway bar and control arms. Of course I knew this would happen, so spacers were in order.
  • Extras: 1.75" wheel spacers
    • Specs: G2 5x5 1.75 Wheel Spacers...its important to get a JL specific wheel spacer to match thread length/type and hub size
    • Part number: 93-73-175M
    • These were needed to combat the rubbing I experienced with the added offset of the rims.
    • This makes the wheel/tire combo stick past the fender nearly identically to a 35x12.5R17 tire with a +25mm offset...AEV recommends this set up for their JLs
    • Now I know some people are against spacers, but I see no issues. Just be sure to use the supplied RED loctite, PROPERLY TORQUE and CHECK TORQUE after a few hundred miles after initial instal, during tire rotation, and after heavy trail use. Sorry for the CAPS but this is important!
Goals of this setup and notes:
  • Wanted a true 35 inch tire without the added width...the Duratracs accomplished this with their 35.1" height and 11.2" width
  • Classic/rugged wheel look...the Grand Cherokee and Durango full size steel wheels look awesome in my opinion
  • Did not want the tires to stick out past the fender flares more than necessary...the combination of high offset (+56mm) from the wheels and 1.75" spacers are near perfect. Nearly identical to AEVs wheel/tire recommendations.
Now you may be wondering what this costs. For me I'm not in a hurry to buy new condition parts at the store/online for my Jeep. I constantly check Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for good deals. Here's what the final cost for everything needed for this set up:
  • Tires: bought off Craigslist for $1300 for set of 5
    • 285/75R18 Duratracs are coming from the factory on the new Ford Super Duty Tremor packages. So keep an eye out for people taking these off and selling them! I grabbed my BRAND NEW set of 5 take offs for $1200 from a guy that just upgraded his truck when he bought it
  • Wheels: bought on Craigslist for $225 for a set of 5 never used wheels from a Dodge Durango
  • Spacers: unfortunately I didn't have time to source these and needed to combat the rubbing immediately...so $240 plus tax for G2 5x5 1.75 Wheel Spacers specifically for the JL
  • SO total cost for this set up $1665! Compare that to buying some new flashy wheels and wide tires that could possibly rub. I know the look isn't for everyone but I love it!
Final thoughts...now I'm only a few days in with this setup.
  • I had an AEV Pro Cal Snap to reprogram for the larger tires...matches GPS speed and shift points are good
  • On-road I have no rubbing at all!
  • Off-road...once I hit the trails I'll check clearance and report back. Based on all the calculations I've done, I don't anticipate any issues.
  • Driveability with 3.45 gears and 35s really is not bad. I also have a hard top, rack, and roof top tent (iKamper) so there's all that added weight. I drive pretty conservatively and cruise around 65-70 MPH on the highway.
  • MPG...now this is still up in the air. So far with about 200 miles the computer is showing 22.1 MPG with I'd say a 80/20 highway/city split. I won't know true MPG until I hand calculate after a few tanks of gas
Well you've made it this far so here's pictures haha...the rear pictures show how much they stick out, I didn't do a close front picture since I need to center my axle with a new track bar and the distance on each side is off...but the other pics should give agood idea of looks.
Thanks for the super detailed post and photos, that setup looks awesome.
I'm thinking about running exactly the same, I really like that the tires can be 35 tall but only 11 wide.. I think that's great.

Did you have any rubbing without spacers?
I ask because you said now with your setup and spacers you pretty much have exactly what AEV recommends for offset - but that would be for running 12.5 wide tires. So you don't need as much offset as they recommend to clear only the 11 wide tires...
I really want to have the tires tucked in as much as possible so it won't throw mud and rocks on itself, and I really don't want the added complexity of spacers.

Thanks again!

-Dan

First Name
dav;d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
According to MOPAR, these wheels will NOT fit the JL/JT series. Dan Grec used these on his JK build but they wouldn't fit on his JT and JL builds, he says it's a problem with brake caliper clearance. This is Dan's youtube channel, he is building an interesting adventure vehicle on the JL platform. Dan knows about overlanding and adventuring.

I love these wheels I am really disappointed that there is a clearance problem.

Here's an option, Mopar Winter/Offroad steel wheels.

Anyone know if the size and backspace on the JK is same as the JL?

6557b5595d6faaa133085db6ef2a13db.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: