I'd love to get a hold of that bumper!

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
So it would come without a top? Looks really cool. It would make filling up your tank at the gas station take twice as long.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
From what I know of FMS. DoD does not procure things just for the sole purpose of FMS.
That is correct. I did FMS for 2 years. Additionally, the State Department monitors and enforces what items US Defense Contractors may or may not sell directly to foreign militaries. As this is a simple truck, FCA and Oshkosh could feasibly sell it to just about any foreign military.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
FCA and Oshkosh could feasibly sell it to just about any foreign military.
You mean AM General. Oshkosh defense has nothing to do with this, and is not thrilled about it, as it competes for some of the same market as the JLTV. But the JLTV is not well suited for the garrison role.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Point conceded re: AM General/OshKosh, my mistake.

However, do you care to make a wager as to whether or not the DoD buys this version of the Gladiator in any significant volume?

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Camry
Very doubtful they procure these. Probably too expensive. A lot of the work trucks I saw on base overseas were Chevy/GMC 1500 4 doors. What is justification for higher price and less hauling/towing capability for driving around base?

If anything, I could see these bought in small numbers by SOF units for versatility and extreme terrain

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Very doubtful they procure these. Probably too expensive. A lot of the work trucks I saw on base overseas were Chevy/GMC 1500 4 doors. What is justification for higher price and less hauling/towing capability for driving around base?

If anything, I could see these bought in small numbers by SOF units for versatility and extreme terrain
I can see them getting used for the same thing unarmored HMMWVs were used for. Motorized support for Infantry and other ground troops, hauling gear, radios, light reconnaissance ect. Definitely not for an IED laden environment, but that's why we have the JLTV and MRAPs now.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Point conceded re: AM General/OshKosh, my mistake.

However, do you care to make a wager as to whether or not the DoD buys this version of the Gladiator in any significant volume?
No, I don't believe that they will be purchased in a large quantity. It would make sense to use these instead of all the GSA trucks that the foolhardy commanders try to take to the muddy field problems. And to replace the aging M998 fleet. Hell we still have a few CUTVs in locations. But I agree with you that there will not be a large procurement contract for these, because it makes too much sense.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No, I don't believe that they will be purchased in a large quantity. It would make sense to use these instead of all the GSA trucks that the foolhardy commanders try to take to the muddy field problems. And to replace the aging M998 fleet. Hell we still have a few CUTVs in locations. But I agree with you that there will not be a large procurement contract for these, because it makes too much sense.
lol, I would really hope there aren't any 998s still around. Those things were old and broken down when I first got in in 03, lol.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
lol, I would really hope there aren't any 998s still around. Those things were old and broken down when I first got in in 03, lol.
There most certainly are. And that is where I see this being viable. Replacing the old M998/M1097 series HMMWV where the JLTV does not really make sense, as it is really too big, and not maneuverable to be suitable for most garrison tasks.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I can see them getting used for the same thing unarmored HMMWVs were used for. Motorized support for Infantry and other ground troops, hauling gear, radios, light reconnaissance ect. Definitely not for an IED laden environment, but that's why we have the JLTV and MRAPs now.
OMG I'd love to have driven that instead of my HMMWV:like:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There most certainly are. And that is where I see this being viable. Replacing the old M998/M1097 series HMMWV where the JLTV does not really make sense, as it is really too big, and not maneuverable to be suitable for most garrison tasks.
Ah the 1097s were much better, lol. Its amazing the difference a 6.5 and a 4 speed transmission makes. And I agree with you, there's a lot of utility a Gladiator could offer that would match the old unarmored HMMWVs, and could probably out run the new 1152s.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase