GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Exactly! As long as there are no IEDs.
Ok let me rephrase that.... OMG I would have loved driving the Gladiator on training missions and around post:like: ... I was lucky enough to not encounter any IEDs while in Baghdad. But did enough mental health to those that had the misfortune:(

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Ok let me rephrase that.... OMG I would have loved driving the Gladiator on training missions and around post:like: ... I was lucky enough to not encounter any IEDs while in Baghdad. But did enough mental health to those that had the misfortune:(
lol, yeah, up-armor kits were golden!

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Ah the 1097s were much better, lol. Its amazing the difference a 6.5 and a 4 speed transmission makes. And I agree with you, there's a lot of utility a Gladiator could offer that would match the old unarmored HMMWVs, and could probably out run the new 1152s.
That's a 1097A1, I might still have a regular old 1097 with the 6.2 and 3L80 in all of its underwhelming glory in one of my motor pools

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's a 1097A1, I might still have a regular old 1097 with the 6.2 and 3L80 in all of its underwhelming glory in one of my motor pools
ugh! Yeah I was not excited about getting those when it came time to go to the field.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
lol, yeah, up-armor kits were golden!
Our AoA kits were not designed for the IED threat that we faced in Iraq and Afghanistan. I installed hundreds of them, but never really felt great about it, because I knew it was a bandaid on a bullet hole. Which is why this truck will probably not be used overseas if procured.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Our AoA kits were not designed for the IED threat that we faced in Iraq and Afghanistan. I installed hundreds of them, but never really felt great about it, because I knew it was a bandaid on a bullet hole. Which is why this truck will probably not be used overseas if procured.
It was a lot better than nothing, and kept me in one piece at least. Had the front end of the truck blown off, but the cabin held together. It was an up armored M1114.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It was a lot better than nothing, and kept me in one piece at least. Had the front end of the truck blown off, but the cabin held together. It was an up armored M1114.
I'm glad to hear that. I was referring to the add on armor that we put on soft skin trucks. The 1114s were done by O'Gara Hess, and were much better, but still had some problems.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad to hear that. I was referring to the add on armor that we put on soft skin trucks. The 1114s were done by O'Gara Hess, and were much better, but still had some problems.
You're talking about those green steel doors? :lipssealed:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All of ours were tan, but I think you know what I'm talking about. They were all many had until mid 05
Ah yeah, There were some that were a simple steel door that had an open "L" Shape and then a little bit later there was a full door with the thick glass armor. I've driven an assortment of those.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Ah yeah, There were some that were a simple steel door that had an open "L" Shape and then a little bit later there was a full door with the thick glass armor. I've driven an assortment of those.
The second type you referred to, with the swing out square window is what I did. It was better than nothing, but wasn't very good at all. Then we added on A/C. It was a good contract, but I will always wish I could have done more.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The second type you referred to, with the swing out square window is what I did. It was better than nothing, but wasn't very good at all. Then we added on A/C. It was a good contract, but I will always wish I could have done more.
Ah okay, That first one was only a stopgap and wasn't much that would protect you from anything. The ones you worked on helped, but fortunately I didn't have one of those when I actually hit the IED.