Sponsored

Milestars are cheap, there has to be a reason why

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
I'm shopping for tires, I have about 25k on my General Grabber ATXs and I'm looking to go a little bigger. The Generals have done great on and off road, in the snow and the rain, so I'm afraid of trying something new. But... The Milestar Patagonia M/Ts that everyone runs on youtube are cheap. If they can last 30k miles, they might be enough for what I need.
Size wise, I'm looking at going from 265/70/17s to 285/70/17s
The Jeep is my DD and I live in Arizona.

So my question to you all is: Will the Milestar MTs hang being daily driven, or should I just stick to ATs and size up my Grabbers?
Thanks
Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I got a set of Falken Wildpeak at3w’s 285 70 17…. And they are fantastic! Look great, ride great, and in all conditions. Good tread depth for an all-terrain also! You might want to give them a look! 😉👍

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Check out venom power terra hunter x/t I have not tried them personally but they are cheap and reviews say they are good both on and off road

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Milestar Patagonia's in a 38" on mine, not out of choice but it was what was available at the time. I have been impressed with their capability offroad and like how rugged they look, however I have been a bit disappointed at how quickly the tread seems to be wearing. They are also pretty noisy, especially once the center section wears down. Next time I am going with a Nitto or Toyo MT or AT.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I've got 20k on my set of 35 Pats and they've got a ton of tread left on them, at least 50 or 60%. I drive a lot of trails - they've seen most of the hard named trails in SoCal many times including probably 10-12 runs of John Bull, a trip to Moab, the mud and snow of the Arkansas backwoods last winter for 4 months, the top of Pike's Peak in Colorado, and probably some things I've forgotten. They're certainly roughed up a bit from the trail use but I could easy go another 15-20k.

The key to them is you must run them at like 38psi minimum on the road to ensure even wear. Mine are completely round, no cupping, no uneven wear but I've adhered to high road PSI and rotating them every 3500 miles in a 5-tire method. So the downsides I'd say are little bit stiffer ride than, say, KM3s which you can run much lower on the road, but I found them to generally be pretty quiet and well mannered. They have gotten a tad more noisy on the highway with age as the crowned shape wears down into a more typical flat tread, but nothing like the Cooper MTs or generic Ironmans I hear roaring down the road all the time. They are 100% noisier than ATs, but it's a jeep. I love it.

I don't have any explicit closeups of the treads right now but this was from last month on the last trail I ran before I left town for work and the holidays. They look cool for sure. I wouldn't call them as durable as a set of KM3s, but I think they've done well for me so far.
Jeep Wrangler JL Milestars are cheap, there has to be a reason why ED36BB92-D3DD-4158-9BCA-38074BA3224A_1_105_c

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I have the Milestar Patagonia's in a 38" on mine, not out of choice but it was what was available at the time. I have been impressed with their capability offroad and like how rugged they look, however I have been a bit disappointed at how quickly the tread seems to be wearing. They are also pretty noisy, especially once the center section wears down. Next time I am going with a Nitto or Toyo MT or AT.
I've always been eyeing a set of Trail Grapplers but I've been afraid of the weight and the noise. Love the way they look under the rig. I think generally the Nitto/Toyo MTs are louder than Pats and a lot heavier, but the pats are abnormally light for MTs which could say something about their likelihood of a sidewall puncture in really tough stuff. I haven't had an issue tho so far - though I know the Trail Graps and Toyo MTs are like, bulletproof levels of thick.

Reactions: J0E

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've always been eyeing a set of Trail Grapplers but I've been afraid of the weight and the noise. Love the way they look under the rig. I think generally the Nitto/Toyo MTs are louder than Pats and a lot heavier, but the pats are abnormally light for MTs which could say something about their likelihood of a sidewall puncture in really tough stuff. I haven't had an issue tho so far - though I know the Trail Graps and Toyo MTs are like, bulletproof levels of thick.
I would definitely agree with this, I have ran the Nitto ridge grappler on my previous Jeep and loved how quiet they were but I also like how beefy a MT looks and performs. I will say I was concerned with these Pats and a sidewall puncture due to how light they are, but I haven't had any problems running on beadlocks at 6-8 psi regularly.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Patagonia MTs just don’t last for a daily driver. They are great on rocks with a soft, sticky compound.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm shopping for tires, I have about 25k on my General Grabber ATXs and I'm looking to go a little bigger. The Generals have done great on and off road, in the snow and the rain, so I'm afraid of trying something new. But... The Milestar Patagonia M/Ts that everyone runs on youtube are cheap. If they can last 30k miles, they might be enough for what I need.
Size wise, I'm looking at going from 265/70/17s to 285/70/17s
The Jeep is my DD and I live in Arizona.

So my question to you all is: Will the Milestar MTs hang being daily driven, or should I just stick to ATs and size up my Grabbers?
Thanks
Well, I put a set of Milestar M/T on my cousin's Ram 2500 diesel. HEAVY pig of a truck and used on and off road. He got 45,000 miles out of that set and then bought another set because he liked them so well.

I put a set on my Jeep and ran them for quite a while and loved them. They were wearing great when I traded the Jeep.

I think they're great tires and the price isn't because they're "cheap" it just shows you how much the other brands mark their stuff up.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got 25k on my 295/70 E-rated Pats, been decent overall, not great at any one particular trait but not horrible either. Only real downside is wet and freezing traction, definitely much better options if that is a priority. I got mine for $124 per tire back in late 2018, so for that price they've been killer! But TBH I won't be buying them again, got some 315/70 Mickey Thompsons in my shed which will be mounted up soon, can't wait TBH :)

I think I could get 30 to 32k miles out of these Pats, but that wet/winter behavior might be unsafe by then. They performed real well on dry rocky terrain, and the E-rated is a tough tire overall.

Sponsored

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I ran a set of 35" Pat M/T's for 25k miles. While they weren't necessarily a bad tire, I wouldn't buy them again. They wore down quickly over the first 10k, but then stabilized and didn't wear down as fast. Did great offroad, especially when new. After 15k they were loud and it just got worse. Ditched these at 25k because they started to handle like shit in the rain and I had a few sketchy experiences. No thanks when driving with my daughter... Currently on a fresh set of Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs. Absolutely love em after making the switch

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
They aren’t cheap because the others mark their stuff up so much, they’re cheap because they’re made in Indonesia.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They aren’t cheap because the others mark their stuff up so much, they’re cheap because they’re made in Indonesia.
I'd take a tire made in Indonesia over a tire made in China (most other brands) any day of the week.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Most other cheap brands. Name a top quality tire made in China that's sold in the US.

cride1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Take a look at the Kenda Klever RT. I have a set in 35" x 10.5" and really like them. They have to be ran below 35psi on the road though.
Sponsored