First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I don't think the Pats are worthy of some of the overwhelming praise they receive, but I also don't think that they are the worst tires ever. I agree with the person who said that they will likely exceed your expectations vs the price you paid.

I went through both phases with the Pats. I had 37s for almost 30k miles. They were pretty good, when in the rocks they performed as expected. This is when I loved them.

I started to hate them when I noticed that they started wearing like butter on a hot day. Very uneven wear, started to get real loud, the performance on wet roads was pretty awful, especially in standing water (made VERY clear once I got the new tires on) and honestly they're just not that good looking compared to most other mud tires. Obviously looks is super subjective and I'm sure someone will read this and think "Hey man, I think they look great OK?!?!" and that's awesome for you. It's your Jeep.

At the end of the day, I don't regret running them since I got a set of (5) 37s for 1100 bucks delivered to my door (this was 2 years ago on Walmart.com). That said, I won't run them ever again.

runklda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Been very happy with my G003's in the past few months, I will be hitting the trails in a few weeks so I should be able to see how they do. I expect them to preform nicely tho.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I don't think the Pats are worthy of some of the overwhelming praise they receive, but I also don't think that they are the worst tires ever. I agree with the person who said that they will likely exceed your expectations vs the price you paid.

I went through both phases with the Pats. I had 37s for almost 30k miles. They were pretty good, when in the rocks they performed as expected. This is when I loved them.

I started to hate them when I noticed that they started wearing like butter on a hot day. Very uneven wear, started to get real loud, the performance on wet roads was pretty awful, especially in standing water (made VERY clear once I got the new tires on) and honestly they're just not that good looking compared to most other mud tires. Obviously looks is super subjective and I'm sure someone will read this and think "Hey man, I think they look great OK?!?!" and that's awesome for you. It's your Jeep.

At the end of the day, I don't regret running them since I got a set of (5) 37s for 1100 bucks delivered to my door (this was 2 years ago on Walmart.com). That said, I won't run them ever again.
I would guess that your Jeep has traction control, stability control and anti lock brakes. These all mask how terrible the Pats are. Put them on a 23 year old XJ with out traction control and the 190 hp motor with stock gearing easily overwhelms the available traction form 33x12.5R15 Pats on damp surfaces. With out anti lock brakes, the incredible weak drum brakes easily overwhelms the available traction of the Pats and will lock up the rear tires in moderate to hard braking. So much so that I have to be aware and greatly increase my stopping distance. The front brakes will also lock up the tires in heavy braking. Mind you the XJ is not known for being a power monster or having strong brakes. I did not have the same issues when I swapped out the stock Goodyear Wrangler tires. It is funny though that the XJ will spin the tires on the roll up to about 15 or 20 mph. with the Pats when the pavement is wet. You would thing It had a Hellcat motor, not a worn out 230,000 4.0 motor in it. LOL. If you get on it hard, it will spin the Pats all the way into 3rd gear on damp pavement.

I wonder how much HP the old XJ has at the rear axle. I mean it is 190 hp, new with stock tires. With the 33x12.5R15 and stock gearing, I would be surprised if it was much over 140hp at the tire.

I drive a lot and have had a lot of cars, I averaged approx 35,000+ miles a year for 30 years and my wife did close to the same amount of driving. We have bought a lot of tires over the years. My opinion and only my opinion is that the Milestar Patagonia tires are the worst tires I have ever owned.

Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I would guess that your Jeep has traction control, stability control and anti lock brakes. These all mask how terrible the Pats are. Put them on a 23 year old XJ with out traction control and the 190 hp motor with stock gearing easily overwhelms the available traction form 33x12.5R15 Pats on damp surfaces. With out anti lock brakes, the incredible weak drum brakes easily overwhelms the available traction of the Pats and will lock up the rear tires in moderate to hard braking. So much so that I have to be aware and greatly increase my stopping distance. The front brakes will also lock up the tires in heavy braking. Mind you the XJ is not known for being a power monster or having strong brakes. I did not have the same issues when I swapped out the stock Goodyear Wrangler tires. It is funny though that the XJ will spin the tires on the roll up to about 15 or 20 mph. with the Pats when the pavement is wet. You would thing It had a Hellcat motor, not a worn out 230,000 4.0 motor in it. LOL. If you get on it hard, it will spin the Pats all the way into 3rd gear on damp pavement.

I wonder how much HP the old XJ has at the rear axle. I mean it is 190 hp, new with stock tires. With the 33x12.5R15 and stock gearing, I would be surprised if it was much over 140hp at the tire.

I drive a lot and have had a lot of cars, I averaged approx 35,000+ miles a year for 30 years and my wife did close to the same amount of driving. We have bought a lot of tires over the years. My opinion and only my opinion is that the Milestar Patagonia tires are the worst tires I have ever owned.
I think that every batch has some flaws. Overall, I won't run them again, I'm just not gonna say they're the worst tire ever.

My other hobby/passion is road course time trials in purpose built track cars. Let's just say that I'm VERY familiar with brakes of all varieties, what a vehicle feels like in all kinds of slip conditions, what it feels like when ABS engages or is not present at all.

My personal experience with the Pat's doesn't mirror yours, but you are correct that the JL has all the fun electronic nannies. Like I said, I know what it feels like when these nannies intervene, and I can say that I never felt like the Jeep was constantly intervening to make up for the Pats' shortcomings.

I'm definitely not denouncing or arguing your experience or opinion. Doesn't bother me one way or the other, and as I've said, I personally won't run them again on any of my vehicles. I'm just not willing to say that they're the worst tires ever.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I think that every batch has some flaws. Overall, I won't run them again, I'm just not gonna say they're the worst tire ever.

My other hobby/passion is road course time trials in purpose built track cars. Let's just say that I'm VERY familiar with brakes of all varieties, what a vehicle feels like in all kinds of slip conditions, what it feels like when ABS engages or is not present at all.

My personal experience with the Pat's doesn't mirror yours, but you are correct that the JL has all the fun electronic nannies. Like I said, I know what it feels like when these nannies intervene, and I can say that I never felt like the Jeep was constantly intervening to make up for the Pats' shortcomings.

I'm definitely not denouncing or arguing your experience or opinion. Doesn't bother me one way or the other, and as I've said, I personally won't run them again on any of my vehicles. I'm just not willing to say that they're the worst tires ever.
I agree, there are probably worse tires, than the Pats. Pats are just the worst one that I have owned.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I agree, there are probably worse tires, than the Pats. Pats are just the worst one that I have owned.
True story. The worst tires I've ever owned personally across any vehicle are the Pirelli P-Zero Neros I had on a FBO 2012 Mustang. Got damn near full sideways after a WOT shift into 3rd on the highway and thought that was gonna be the end of the road for me.

Immediately went out and bought some NT05Rs and never dealt with straight line traction issues again.

To keep this thread on track, to the OP or anyone reading, I'd recommend getting a different brand if you can swing it financially, if for no other reason than longer wear and better standing water performance, and looks if you're into that kinda thing.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I've been running the Yokohamas for 20K miles(37-12.50/17), and with good rotation, I don't see why I can't get at least another 20K out of them. Maybe more. These are a great tire.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Been very happy with my G003's in the past few months, I will be hitting the trails in a few weeks so I should be able to see how they do. I expect them to preform nicely tho.
how are they on road, noise and ride? how many miles do you have on them

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've been running the Yokohamas for 20K miles(37-12.50/17), and with good rotation, I don't see why I can't get at least another 20K out of them. Maybe more. These are a great tire.
how is the ride and noise on road?

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Compared to other MT tires, very quiet. Rides really great. This is the 3rd set in a row I've bought. The first two were 33's that I had on my 4-runner.
I have 35" Ridge grappleres that are smooth and were silent for 5k miles and have gotten a little louder since but really nothing to worry about.. thinking of switching to Ko2 37" that are lighter and have a lower ply.. but i keep looking at the stt pro and the g003 since they are lighter for a 37 MT even though not nearly as light as the k02 which is an AT

runklda

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
how are they on road, noise and ride? how many miles do you have on them
They are about the same noise as the General Grabber at2's I have on my work truck. They are not uncomfortable at all. I have a few thousand on them right now.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i'm assuming you went to tirerack, looked up the tire models, and viewed their test results and owner reviews? it's pretty good.
Sponsored