Milestar Patagonia M/T Review 37x12.5r17

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
Interesting...the st pros are a good bit more agressive than the milestar's. How do they ride?
I’m about to find out this week :) I’m getting them finally mounted after waiting two weeks Bc of work.

6D104B7C-8992-469D-811F-DEBE90D269F9.jpeg
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I do a 5 tire rotation every 3k since the tire has a pretty soft compound. I also feel the lugs when stopping but that is standard on any mt.
Gotcha...rotating every 3k seems like it could be cumbersome for daily drivers considering most rotate at 5k while changing oil. I've read/talked with alot of experienced offroad folks recently claiming the milestar's are more of a hybrid tire rather than a mud terrain due to the smaller gaps between the center tread and is responsible for keeping them quieter. Do you have experience with other tires? You cant beat their price/weight/quiet ride, but they do only seem to last 25-30k miles.

I daily drive 20-25k miles/yr and the thought of rotating 7 times/yr doesn't sound great. Did you consider the Cooper ST Maxx or Yokohama Geolander 003 MT? People are getting 50k+ miles on them and they're supposed to be decently quiet on road.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I’m about to find out this week :) I’m getting them finally mounted after waiting two weeks Bc of work.

6D104B7C-8992-469D-811F-DEBE90D269F9.jpeg
:) I'm interested to hear about the ride and road noise compared to the ko2's...especially after your wife puts some miles on them.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I rotated my Milestars a couple of days ago at 3,500 miles. I do a cross-rotation as described in the owners manuals. Rears straight to the front, fronts cross and then go to the rear.

Mine still roll smooth as glass. Very surprising actually how smooth they are. Noise has picked up a little bit since the rotation, but they still are more quiet than other M/T tires I've run in the past. They are wearing evenly, and there is still around 17/32nds of tread left.

Traction in rain and snow continues to be excellent. I've only had them in the mud once and they were about average. I need to do more mud testing with them to get a real feel for them. They are extremely durable. They didn't affect my MPGs any compared to the K02s (I went from 34s to 35s) and that was also surprising.

I paid $780 for the set out the door and as far as I'm concerned you can't beat that deal with a stick.

OP
OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha...rotating every 3k seems like it could be cumbersome for daily drivers considering most rotate at 5k while changing oil. I've read/talked with alot of experienced offroad folks recently claiming the milestar's are more of a hybrid tire rather than a mud terrain due to the smaller gaps between the center tread and is responsible for keeping them quieter. Do you have experience with other tires? You cant beat their price/weight/quiet ride, but they do only seem to last 25-30k miles.

I daily drive 20-25k miles/yr and the thought of rotating 7 times/yr doesn't sound great. Did you consider the Cooper ST Maxx or Yokohama Geolander 003 MT? People are getting 50k+ miles on them and they're supposed to be decently quiet on road.
If you look at the original post, i did compare it to the other tires i have used. We got these tires in Sept of last year and as of april we are at 10k miles. I was looking at the STT pro's as well during that time but the softer compound enticed me as well as the price and the lighter weight compared to the coopers.

Mileage of tire was the least of my concerns with lightweight and traction offroad as the most important.

Sponsored

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
I rotated my Milestars a couple of days ago at 3,500 miles. I do a cross-rotation as described in the owners manuals. Rears straight to the front, fronts cross and then go to the rear.

Mine still roll smooth as glass. Very surprising actually how smooth they are. Noise has picked up a little bit since the rotation, but they still are more quiet than other M/T tires I've run in the past. They are wearing evenly, and there is still around 17/32nds of tread left.

Traction in rain and snow continues to be excellent. I've only had them in the mud once and they were about average. I need to do more mud testing with them to get a real feel for them. They are extremely durable. They didn't affect my MPGs any compared to the K02s (I went from 34s to 35s) and that was also surprising.

I paid $780 for the set out the door and as far as I'm concerned you can't beat that deal with a stick.
Holy snickes (Chris Farley) where did u get that phenomenal deal?!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Holy snickes (Chris Farley) where did u get that phenomenal deal?!
That was the going rate at Discount Tire when I bought mine in February. Someone said that the price has increased roughly $25 per tire since then due to all the popularity this tire is getting, but even so it's still a fantastic tire for the money.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
If you look at the original post, i did compare it to the other tires i have used. We got these tires in Sept of last year and as of april we are at 10k miles. I was looking at the STT pro's as well during that time but the softer compound enticed me as well as the price and the lighter weight compared to the coopers.

Mileage of tire was the least of my concerns with lightweight and traction offroad as the most important.
How are the milestar's treating you? I've know of 2 people locally who had sidewall punctures with their 35" Milestars in the last few months. Also saw where Trail Recon in his latest YouTube video just put these on his gladiator and punctured a sidewall on his first overanding trip. I imagine the lighter weight can be partly attributed to thinner 3 ply sidewall and softer compound. Hope these punctures were outliers.

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't been able to find 37's anywhere, guess supply can't keep up with demand.

OP
OP
anotheraznguy

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How are the milestar's treating you? I've know of 2 people locally who had sidewall punctures with their 35" Milestars in the last few months. Also saw where Trail Recon in his latest YouTube video just put these on his gladiator and punctured a sidewall on his first overanding trip. I imagine the lighter weight can be partly attributed to thinner 3 ply sidewall and softer compound. Hope these punctures were outliers.

I have over 14k miles on these tires. I have been doing harder trails and picking the harder line lately. Recently went to rubicon twice as well as slick rock trail. I have been airing down to about 5 psi and the grip is still there. Tire is still soft. I do have a crack in the sidewall from my recent slickrock trip but it is still holding air just fine. As you can see from the picture below, I am not gentle on these tires by any means. So far the durability of the tire has never been questionable to me. Do note i have not wheeled in locations like AZ with extremely sharp rocks.

VHbq48j.jpg

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I have over 14k miles on these tires. I have been doing harder trails and picking the harder line lately. Recently went to rubicon twice as well as slick rock trail. I have been airing down to about 5 psi and the grip is still there. Tire is still soft. I do have a crack in the sidewall from my recent slickrock trip but it is still holding air just fine. As you can see from the picture below, I am not gentle on these tires by any means. So far the durability of the tire has never been questionable to me. Do note i have not wheeled in locations like AZ with extremely sharp rocks.

VHbq48j.jpg
Thanks for the solid information that you've provided in this thread. All the details really help everyone here.

My stock KO2's did great in Moab but I was nervous about running KO2's (I was upgrading to 37's) on AZ trails with sharp rocks so I went with Nitto Trail Grappler's in 37's. Vehicle spends 90% of it's time on pavement, so we'll see if I regret it. Price was right, but they're heavy especially with beadlocks. Running 36 psi front/rear to start (might be high? that's what I ran my KO2's at daily). Didn't try a chalk test yet. Noise is there but expected from an MT, and can feel the lugs from the start but that's normal as others have said. No balance was needed.

Lost about 6 mpg from stock (down to 14-15 from 20-21) which is disappointing, oh well. Winch, 4" lift, 50 pounds per corner added... guess that's what happens. I do wonder what the difference would have been with lighter wheels and KO2's. But overall I think this is probably the best balance I can possibly get to and still run all the hard stuff without being afraid of multiple flats.

Last edited:

19JL

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
I’ve go almost 10k on my 38” Pats. They have been good so far. They are definitely getting louder and I was able to stop the cupping around the outer edges by going from 26-28psi to 32-34psi. These tires are much rounder over the tread area then let’s say a Nitto trailgrapper and the Chalk test doesn’t really work on them the way a flatter more square across the tread tire would work. They are a really soft tire and I’m wondering how many miles I’ll get in them. They are great so far in the rocks, snow and mud. Hoping to get 30k out of them but after 10k you can definitely tell the are wearing. I’d buy them again because I love the size of the 38”.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I’ve go almost 10k on my 38” Pats. They have been good so far. They are definitely getting louder and I was able to stop the cupping around the outer edges by going from 26-28psi to 32-34psi. These tires are much rounder over the tread area then let’s say a Nitto trailgrapper and the Chalk test doesn’t really work on them the way a flatter more square across the tread tire would work. They are a really soft tire and I’m wondering how many miles I’ll get in them. They are great so far in the rocks, snow and mud. Hoping to get 30k out of them but after 10k you can definitely tell the are wearing. I’d buy them again because I love the size of the 38”.
Really interesting on the roundness of the tread area. I haven't seen them in person. My Nittos are pretty quiet but -certainly- noticeably louder than my stock KO2's. Also the feel of the lug was interesting. I just don't drive my JK daily or really on roads at all ever (and if I do, they're at < 5 psi), so it's just not a feeling I have had in some time =)

19JL

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
Really interesting on the roundness of the tread area. I haven't seen them in person. My Nittos are pretty quiet but -certainly- noticeably louder than my stock KO2's. Also the feel of the lug was interesting. I just don't drive my JK daily or really on roads at all ever (and if I do, they're at < 5 psi), so it's just not a feeling I have had in some time =)
I’ve alway ran Nitto TGs, 35’s 37’s and 40s. I can tell you my pats at almost 10k are a lot louder then my TGs ever we’re. Not annoying mud grappler loud but you definitely know they are rolling down the road. I was always able to get 40k out of my nittos and still sell them used with usable tread left. I like the Pats but if Nitto sold a 38 I’d go back in a heart beat. I like the look of that tire a lot better. The Pats are just to round over the tread area for my liking and seem to use a lot more of the center of the tread then the entire tread like a TG. But maybe that’s why my gas mileage is a lot better then I expected.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

VHbq48j.jpg
Per yours and others feedback about the Milestar 37x12.50×17 load range d riding stiffer and not conforming to the terrain/absorbing bumps well when aired down, did you consider going up to the milestar 38x13.50 load range c? Load range c seems ideal for wranglers due to the lighter weight and load d is ideal for heavier vehicles. No reputable tire company seems to offer a hybrid/mud terrain in 37/12.50/17 load c at this time.
Sponsored