Sponsored

Milestar Patagonia M/T Review 37x12.5r17

AZRocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I wonder why you can order C or D from Discount and they even have different pricing and item numbers?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I wonder why you can order C or D from Discount and they even have different pricing and item numbers?
DT isn't always accurate. They also had the Milestar Patagonia listed as being available in a 38x12.50r17 with a different part number and price than the 38x13.50r17. The listing was incorrect. Personally I'd like to see that size available lol.

AZRocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, cool. They need to get their ish together! lol

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yup I am on my third tire rotation at 10k miles. Tire noise is still negligible even after the mileage. No awkward shimmy or shakes or off balance. There is some tire cupping but it has not impacted the tires manners. I do attribute the tire cupping from running stock shocks for about 3k miles with these tires. Others have not had tire cupping issues but I did want to be as transparent as possible. We have taken it off-road and in deep snow with no issues. It handled the rainy season just fine. There is prob 10-15 off-road trips on them so far. No real issues with punctures or torn tread blocks.
I ordered the 37/12.50/17 milestar's on Friday to go on 17x9 4.5 backspacing wheels. Had originally ordered the 38/13.50/17 to get the load c, but couldnt get over the extra weight forcing a regear with 6 speed and 4.10s. Also, didnt want worse braking performance and likely spending more $ on fender mods. I changed the order to 37s...do you still wish you had gone 38s? I hope the 37s aren't real stiff in load d.

AZRocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the 37/12.50/17 milestar's on Friday to go on 17x9 4.5 backspacing wheels. Had originally ordered the 38/13.50/17 to get the load c, but couldnt get over the extra weight forcing a regear with 6 speed and 4.10s. Also, didnt want worse braking performance and likely spending more $ on fender mods. I changed the order to 37s...do you still wish you had gone 38s? I hope the 37s aren't real stiff in load d.
Any updates?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have had the milestar tires for over 5k miles and wanted to post up an initial review.

I am running these 12.5" wide tires on a set of 9" wide wheels. Overall diameter at street pressure is 36.5". My daily pressure is 25 psi and i could go slightly lower based on the chalk test. Off road i usually go 10-15 for grip and ride quality offroad.

This is on the lighter side of a 37" tire weighing in under 72 LBS

Previous tires on other rigs were
Toyo RT / BFG K02

On road
The tires are about as quiet as an A/T after 5k miles they have started to make some noise but still typical A/T noise. With the windows up and radio off you can hear the tires at highway speeds. With radio at 7 or 8 the tire noise is not noticeable. Comfort, at 25 psi the tires soak up the bumps well. I could lower pressure further to get an even wear pattern but then handling is compromised due to the softer sidewall. Please note that this is D rated and have less sidewall deflection. Wet weather and dry weather performance are standard. I am not pushing the corners in the jeep so i can tell you how it will do if you bomb around a corner. I Do not get any radial pull with these tires. I do feel the lugs in the steering wheel when coming to a stop slowly.

Off Road
We've taken the jeep mainly through Mud / Rock / Gravel. No experience with sand or snow. There has not been an issue with traction climbing obstacles. The mud gets slung out of the tread pretty good. The tire is on the softer side and the traction offroad really shines. Due to this tire being D Load rating the Sidewall does not seem to flex as well as some of the other C Rated tires. There have been numerous times when i am at 10-15 psi and people have asked me if i had aired down. Due to the wide and angled spacing of the tread blocks i have not seen to many rocks remaining in the tread.

Durability
I have not had any of the lugs chunk like my previous tires had. The sidewall has been strong even rubbing them against rocks. I have not punctured or gashed the sidewall either. I have also accidentally ran over a piece of metal on the highway at 65 Mph without a puncture either.

Longevity
I already rotated the tires with the Spare at 3k miles. I will comment more once i get more miles on the tires.

Misc / Cons
The outer shoulder blocks are starting to feather slightly primarily due to the fact that they do not appear to be making full contact at street pressure. The tire tread appears to be more rounded with about 1/4 of the tire not making contact at street pressure. The weight capacity of this tire is overkill, 3525 Lbs @ 50 PSI is the load rating per tire. Even at 25 PSI each tire load is capable of supporting up to 1762 lbs which is over 7K lbs for 4. If i were to do this again i would have went with the 38x12.5r17 due to the Load Rating of C which would allow the sidewall to flex more.

Conclusion
For the price you would be hard pressed to find another tire that offers as much performance for the value. If you are willing to stray from the big name tire brands, you will not be disappointed.

TLDR: Works great / Sidewall a little stiff / Durable / Affordable
Thanks for the detailed review. Within a few hours the Brown Santa will be delivering 5 of the 37x12.5x17 to our porch.
This morning I talked to a shop that sells these and he gave me a heads up that he has had three customers get rid of them because they suck in the rain. After digging deeper I have found multiple reviews with the main complaint being handling in the rain. Especially getting on and off ramps in the rain and that the tires don't like to be pushed in wet conditions.
Needless to say I have one very panicked wife right now who has been eagerly awaiting her 3.5 Teraflex lift, Steer Smarts front end and these tires on DV8 beadlocks to be put on. We are left scratching our heads that some people say they are good in the rain and others saying they straight up suck. We get a fair amount of rain around here with some very heavy downpours. If this isn't the right tire for our needs I have a small window to return them right now. What drew us to them was the price, off road capability and on road manners. We do wheel aggressively when we can get out there and our goal is to move out to St. George within the year.
I read that you are pleased with their wet performance but HOW are you driving them in the rain? To the store and back? Highway speeds? Etc...

mpk1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Thanks for the detailed review. Within a few hours the Brown Santa will be delivering 5 of the 37x12.5x17 to our porch.
This morning I talked to a shop that sells these and he gave me a heads up that he has had three customers get rid of them because they suck in the rain. After digging deeper I have found multiple reviews with the main complaint being handling in the rain. Especially getting on and off ramps in the rain and that the tires don't like to be pushed in wet conditions.
Needless to say I have one very panicked wife right now who has been eagerly awaiting her 3.5 Teraflex lift, Steer Smarts front end and these tires on DV8 beadlocks to be put on. We are left scratching our heads that some people say they are good in the rain and others saying they straight up suck. We get a fair amount of rain around here with some very heavy downpours. If this isn't the right tire for our needs I have a small window to return them right now. What drew us to them was the price, off road capability and on road manners. We do wheel aggressively when we can get out there and our goal is to move out to St. George within the year.
I read that you are pleased with their wet performance but HOW are you driving them in the rain? To the store and back? Highway speeds? Etc...
I have the Teraflex 3.5 lift kit ($1700), great kit..I really like it
I also that the Milestar's. No real issue in rain I'm in S. Florida. Maybe because I'm not driving on Highway too much, mostly city driving nothing really over 50 mph

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Teraflex 3.5 lift kit ($1700), great kit..I really like it
I also that the Milestar's. No real issue in rain I'm in S. Florida. Maybe because I'm not driving on Highway too much, mostly city driving nothing really over 50 mph
Thanks for the info. It's the over 50mph that I'm really concerned about but good to know around town use should be ok.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Matt, how are they in the rain?
Hey...I've had 37s for 6 weeks and only put about 200 miles on them bc it isn't a daily driver anymore. Haven't driven in the rain with them yet. I like them so far for my low mileage usage...they are obviously louder on road than ko2's with a slight hum above 45mph riding at 26psi, but not annoying. They have more of a round tread with the edges not fully touching the road. They are quieter at 30+psi bc only the middle tread is contacting the road, but will cause them to wear unevenly and they ride stiff at higher psi due to being load d. 26 psi seems to ride pretty good.
Sponsored