Sponsored

miles on truck when picked up

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
No excuse for a dealer to put more than a mile on it. When ordering, I tell the dealer "minimal prep" - I want to remove all of the plastic, protective wrappings myself, and definitely NO WASHING!!! I've never seen the reason to take a brand new car and have some kid hit it with a buffer and then grease the interior.

Any more than a few miles means the employees were joy riding, or they were letting customers test drive, which is not OK.
Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Dealers have to do a PDI, Pre-delivery inspection, on all new vehicles. They have to take them out of transport mode, and then road test them, to make sure everything is working, like the Cruise, brakes, how they drive at highway speeds, and any safety device that was put on it. So, they should get around 5 plus miles on them. Warranty is not on a vehicle that hasn't had the PDI done. So, if it only was 2-3 miles. The dealer didn't do there job correctly. A typical new vehicle should have 10-15 miles on it when you buy it, if no one else has test driven it.

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
394 miles on it when I picked it up but they had to deliver it from a dealer in North Carolina to get the one I wanted

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My factory ordered JLUR had 8 miles on the odometer. It came off the car carrier with 2, but my dealer has all custom orders delivered to an offsite yard about 5 miles away to prevent them from being used for test drives before being picked up.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Dealers have to do a PDI, Pre-delivery inspection, on all new vehicles. They have to take them out of transport mode, and then road test them, to make sure everything is working, like the Cruise, brakes, how they drive at highway speeds, and any safety device that was put on it. So, they should get around 5 plus miles on them. Warranty is not on a vehicle that hasn't had the PDI done. So, if it only was 2-3 miles. The dealer didn't do there job correctly. A typical new vehicle should have 10-15 miles on it when you buy it, if no one else has test driven it.
I highly disagree - I've bought 3 vehicles with less than 5 miles on them, a '15 silverado, a '17 CX-5, and a '17 WRX STI. The STI was not a custom order, but I found it in transit and put a deposit down before it came in. I told the dealer minimal prep and they did the minimum check out. They probably took it for a test drive but nothing more than a mile is needed for that. I also bought a '17 MX-5 with about 7 miles on it.

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had about 64 but the dealer drove it to my house to deliver it.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
10 on mine before my test drive. Had the dealer put on new tires before I even saw it so some miles probably came from testing those.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I dunno exactly know and really don't care. But it must have been very low, like between 0 and 20 based on what I saw after driving home 200 miles.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had 4. When you order it from the factory that's just moving it around and loading/unloading. But if you are buying off the lot, you have to expect that maybe a few people have test-driven that particular vehicle before you. I bought my last new vehicle as an '05 in spring of '06 and it had 190 or so miles on it.

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
8 miles on it when I took it for test drive. 145 miles after test drive. I can’t understand why people buy a car after only a 10 mile test drive.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
8 miles on it when I took it for test drive. 145 miles after test drive. I can’t understand why people buy a car after only a 10 mile test drive.
I had one dealership ride with me for only a 2 block test drive. That was all I could do. Yeah, I didn't go back to them. And then another did no test drives unless you were working on an offer with them.
Sponsored