Mileage has dropped significantly.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
On my ‘22 JLURD I was on a road trip when I got a check engine light. As it was evening in the middle of nowhere, I had it checked with a code reader at a auto parts store in a small town to make sure it was not bad to keep driving. Code P0403. We looked it up online and decided it was ok to keep driving.

I was getting 21.5MPG for the first 2k miles before that incident. Now I am getting 17MPG, same route and driving.

I took it in and the dealer told me that they cannot really check anything since the code was cleared and has not came back on. They told me they hooked it up to the scanner and all is showing fine as well (skeptical of that part
as they kept saying without a code they cannot diagnose).

net -net my mileage is still poor, I have now put in 5gal of DEF and I am only at 3200 miles.

any recommendations??
Sponsored

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
p0403 is a bad EGR. Search the forum for EGR threads, there’s some info on issues with them.

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Thx!!

Then shouldn’t the dealer have been able to fix or check something? Or is that one time code the only way to know something is wrong?

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
If you told the dealer the code, they should be able start investigating; unfortunately most techs today can’t do much of anything without a trouble code.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Most modern vehicles today (Jeeps included) are equipped with secret GPS technology that lets the vehicle know it is within a mile of a dealer/service center. It prevents the vehicle from throwing codes within that radius, regardless of how many times it has thrown that code before. This enables techs to close cases faster with the “unable to replicate the issue” response. 😉👌

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Most modern vehicles today (Jeeps included) are equipped with secret GPS technology that lets the vehicle know it is within a mile of a dealer/service center. It prevents the vehicle from throwing codes within that radius, regardless of how many times it has thrown that code before. This enables techs to close cases faster with the “unable to replicate the issue” response. 😉👌
Shortly after getting my 89 Bronco the oil psi gauge dropped to 0, warning light. Towed in, working “can not duplicate “ , continuing intermittent problem. Took in several times “can not duplicate” . The first time I took it in after the warranty period they magically found the problem and repaired it Charging Me for the repair. 😖 I gave them a stack of repair orders “reported during warranty period “—no charge. Always keep them! 🤔

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think dealers even give you paperwork on warranty repairs, do they? They say it's fixed at no cost to you and say have a nice day while the wash guy brings your car around.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I don't think dealers even give you paperwork on warranty repairs, do they? They say it's fixed at no cost to you and say have a nice day while the wash guy brings your car around.
I have always gotten a copy upon check in.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I used to have a Nissan work van (NV200) and all warranty work paperwork (Lack of) was described as above. They were shady and forgot to put the engine oil cap back on which splattered oil all over on a 4,000 mile van. Swapped a CVT transmission when I was at the second routine oil change at 10000 miles with them making sound as if they found a defect and were taking care of me. No paperwork on anything including their free first oil changes. Ended up trading it in for a ProMaster van at 14,000 miles. New buyer had told dealer I traded in that the transmission crapped out. Nissan dealer had must of done some hokey crap. Glad I was out of it.

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
If you told the dealer the code, they should be able start investigating; unfortunately most techs today can’t do much of anything without a trouble code.
yeah, I think that is the problem. They kept saying “without a trouble code, we cannot charge jeep for the repair so we cannot look into the problem.”

Is there a way to “reboot” the system? Unplug all batteries? Just trying to figure out the equivalent of “holding down the power button” on my computer.

Sponsored

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
yeah, I think that is the problem. They kept saying “without a trouble code, we cannot charge jeep for the repair so we cannot look into the problem.”

Is there a way to “reboot” the system? Unplug all batteries? Just trying to figure out the equivalent of “holding down the power button” on my computer.
Wow. Well wait until the code comes back then. In the future, don’t clear codes until the issue is fixed. No, this is not a reboot thing, something is wrong with EGR system.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thx!!

Then shouldn’t the dealer have been able to fix or check something? Or is that one time code the only way to know something is wrong?
Yikes…I was quoted $800 to replace an EGR cooler (my extended warranty didn’t cover it, but my actual issue wasn’t the cooler). You should be under warranty still…have them inspect the EGR Cooler if that code is related to the EGR. I wouldn’t wait on this.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
They do and they should.

When they replaced my block under warranty, they gave me paperwork showing what was replaced and the cost to me “$0” for each item…and my $100 deductible at the bottom.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

I would press them to look into…and pay the initial inspection fee…if they inspect the EGR system and find that it is in fact faulty, they should then charge jeep for the repairs due to it being covered under warranty.

I’ve taken my jeep in after receiving a code but it intermittently went off. So when I got there the code was gone. I explained what happened and they took my jeep in, inspected it…kept it for 5 days, then said they thought it was the EGR Cooler (it wasn’t and i took it to another dealer to find out it was a larger unrelated problem).

My point is, they took it although they had no active error code, inspected it, then gave it back to me with no charge.

They could’ve charged me for the inspection that I requested, but they didn’t and gave the jeep a bath before I picked it up.

Maybe it’s dependent on individual dealerships…but I would take it back there if it were me.

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
If you are registered with Jeep Wave you should've got an email documenting the fault. I have a bunch of those emails 🙄
Sponsored