Sponsored

MIG Welders - Anyone have input on these?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for a machine that has ability to:

1. Separate the wire feed from the amps
2. Use gas in addition to flux core
3. 240v is fine as I am not going to be using it outside of my shop

I have a small Tooliom TL-135A multi-process welder, and for the $100 I paid for it a few years ago. It works great, but is very limited when you need to weld thicker materials because the wire speed is not adjustable and it is too fast when needing to run a slower bead.

I have been looking at a few and would like this to be my "last" MIG machine so these are on my short list and would like some input on them if anyone has an experience with them.

For the money, the HF Vulcan seems to be a sweet spot, but at the same time long term viability and parts availability could be an issue (time will tell, but it is Harbor Freight).

(EDIT to add prices and a Hobart machine)

$1900 - Miller Millermatic 211 MIG
$1300 - Lincoln PowerMIG 211i
$1100 - Hobart Handler 210MVP
$950 - HF Vulcan MIG Max215
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I am partial to the Lincoln, I have a Power MIG 180c that works great. I’m sure the Miller is a fine machine as well. For long term parts/repair I would spend the money for one of those.

Gregj

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
I've patched car floors, and added extensions to my heavy steel shop shelving with this.
I suck as a welder (age, arthritis, tremors in my hands - never was great, though) but this has done the job for me.
My wife would have killed me had I bought a cheap or bargain tool. So when I told her a few years back I needed a new welder, she said go get something "decent".

Can plug in the metal gauge and wire size and let it decide, or you can set things yourself.

Jeep Wrangler JL MIG Welders - Anyone have input on these? 20210708_142608

Jeep Wrangler JL MIG Welders - Anyone have input on these? 20210708_142551_HDR

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am partial to the Lincoln, I have a Power MIG 180c that works great. I’m sure the Miller is a fine machine as well. For long term parts/repair I would spend the money for one of those.

Gregj
The 180c was one I looked at and then saw the 211i (which I think is their latest machine). There are some used 180c for sale around my area that make it really enticing too.

A few questions if you don't mind:

What is the thickest metal you have welded?
Are you using gas or flux core?
If gas, does it "pre and post" start/stop before the arc does?

TIA!

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I have welded 1/4 inch with no problem using Argon/CO2 mix. You can weld up to 1/2 with fluxcore, most likely with multiple passes. There is no pre or post flow on these machines.

Gregj

Sponsored

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I have a Miller 211, I really like it. It can run flux core or shielding gas; welds 3/8” steel with single pass on 240v, 3/16” on 120v. Runs on 120/208/240v. Amps and wire speed independently adjustable, or has auto-set which works pretty well too. You can weld aluminum with a spool gun. Did some auto body welding with it a few months ago with 75/25 gas, worked really well. The duty cycle is totally adequate for most DIY use.

Kingkat900

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 tj
Definitely can't go wrong with the Millermatic 211. I've been using mine for years and zero issues with it.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
The Lincoln power mig 211i is the best bang for the $. Miller makes good equipment but the Miller is no better than the comparable Lincoln. I have Miller welders and if I were to buy a stand alone mig of this size I would buy the Lincoln. You can buy a gas cylinder and some accessories and still come out ahead over the Miller.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Miller comes out on top in nearly every head to head comparison against the competition. You won’t be disappointed.

Though I will say that it may be a bit overkill if you aren’t going to be making a living with it.

ESAB is another brand worth looking at.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I built my whole TJ with a Hobart 210 MVP. It never had a hiccup. The duty cycle wasn't all that so we bumped it up in the shop for production but the 210 is a great little machine.

I sold it when I moved to Colorado so I didn't have to deal with it. Needed one when I got there (Thanks Dynatrac) and bought the 211 Miller. Great little machine. And it's blue. So I could recommend both of them and would probably got a Hobart just based on price. Would have purchased it again but couldn't find one close to me anywhere.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Lincoln power mig 211i is the best bang for the $. Miller makes good equipment but the Miller is no better than the comparable Lincoln. I have Miller welders and if I were to buy a stand alone mig of this size I would buy the Lincoln. You can buy a gas cylinder and some accessories and still come out ahead over the Miller.
The more reviews that I watch on the Lincoln, the more I am leaning that way. It seems to weld exceptionally well and does not break the bank.

I am checking with a few sites to see if I can find one that does not collect sales tax and that will seal the deal.

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
I bought my pair of Lincoln's a few years ago, and bought the 210MP and the SW200. I'm not a full time fabricator or even a part time, but it's been a great combo for what most people need. In your case, I don't feel like you will make an incorrect choice with any that you have listed.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Lincoln 211i. After looking at multiple machines, this one checks all the boxes. Now to get a tank and start my next fab project!

Jeep Wrangler JL MIG Welders - Anyone have input on these? 20230220_164747

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I went with the Lincoln 211i. After looking at multiple machines, this one checks all the boxes. Now to get a tank and start my next fab project!

Jeep Wrangler JL MIG Welders - Anyone have input on these? 20230220_164747
Very cool. Where did you end up buying it? I may have to get one.
Sponsored