Sponsored

Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
Parts:
  1. Midland MXT275 Radio
  2. CoolTech Bracket, NMO Adpater, 12' Midland coax cable and Midland's MXTA26 6db GMRS antenna
Install:

Notes:

Radio bracket install was done by removing the bolt cover on the front part of the tunnel passenger side and removing the 6mm bolt. Under the cover the hole is recessed. I went to the hardware store and bought a small assortment of longer 6mm bolts and a stack of washers to fill in the recess with. Make sure the washer diameter will fit in the recess and that the hole in the middle is large enough for the longer 6mm bolt to pass through. This will all make sense once you remove the cover.

Mounting the bracket to the passenger side tunnel:
**Note: This location will impede the ability to slide the passenger seat fully forward**

1. Drill out center hole on Mounting bracket just large enough for longer 6mm bolt to pass through.
  2. Pass longer 6mm bolt through the mounting bracket (add flat washer to bolt is optional)
  3. Stack the washers onto the bolt from behind the bracket to fill in recess.
  4. Carefully thread in the 6mm bolt and snug down gently leaving enough play to rotate.
  5. Slide radio base unit into mounting bracket. I did this with the speaker facing outward, so it can be heard.
  6. Connect the antenna and MIC and gently rotate the bracket until it is at your desired position.
  7. Slide radio base out of mount and snug up bolt enough to hold mount in place. Do not overtighten.
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission Midland MXT275 bas mount JEEP JL

I use the 12 Volt power adapter the Midland MXT275 comes with to power the radio. Works fine and simple to unplug and remove radio as necessary.

Installing Antenna:
Follow CoolTechs instructions for installing their cowl mount.

Since I have an automatic, there is a firewall plug on the driver side I used to pass the antenna through from the exterior to the interior.

1. I used needle nosed pliers to grab the plug and pull it out from the exterior.
  2. Drilled a hole in the center slightly larger than the diameter of the cable itslef, not the end fitting diameter.
  3. Used a razor knife and slit the plug from the ouside edge to the middle hole I drilled.
  4. Carefully seperate and twist the plug at the slit to widen it enough to slide the cable through it and into the center hole. It is not very pliable, so a little heat may assist. I did not heat it up and was happy I did not crack it in half.
  5. Pass as much wire through into the cabin as needed. I pealed back the carpeting some on each side of the tunnel and ran the cable from the driver to passanger side using metal coat hanger as a wire puller.
  6. I wire tied the cabling up and out of the way beneath the driver side footwell. I suggest you do the same or something similar to guarantee it will not get hung up on the accelerator, brake pedal or your feet at all.
  7. I pushed the firewall plug back in place, tucked the excess cable under the plastic driver side cowl. There is alot of room to hide the cabling in there.
  8. Connected the NMO adapter to the CoolTech mount per their instructions.
  9. Used some clear silicone to seal the antenna cable passing through the firewall plug as well as the slit from the razor knife.
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission firewall plug location
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission Firewall Plu
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission IMG-8973
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission IMG-8976
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission IMG-8981
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission IMG-8982
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was just about to install mine in that position a couple of years but then realized the passenger seat wouldn't’ be able to slide all the way forward to utilize my sleeping platform

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I was just about to install mine in that position a couple of years but then realized the passenger seat wouldn't’ be able to slide all the way forward to utilize my sleeping platform
Behind the panel under the steering wheel seems like the obvious location. It fits there nicely, especially since there's no need to interact with it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
Behind the panel under the steering wheel seems like the obvious location. It fits there nicely, especially since there's no need to interact with it.
That’s all personal preference for sure. Many mounting options.

Decreasing Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURubicon XR
Occupation
Retired Federal LEO
Do you have pictures of where it is and how you secured it please?

Also, does this unit have the speaker on the base unit or does it use the mic for a speaker?

If the speaker is on the base unit, can you hear it well enough under the dash panel?

Sorry for all the questions.

Dave

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I use the 12 Volt power adapter the Midland MXT275 comes with to power the radio. Works fine and simple to unplug and remove radio as necessary.
I bought a MXT275 for my JLR 2 years ago. On the trail I make aggressive use of MSS (Manual Stop Start). Each restart I'd need to hold the power button to fire up the radio, a major PITA.

Last month I bought a new MXT275 for my TJR. It uses the new mic and remembers the state when power is lost. The mic's aren't interchangeable. So the new MXT275 went into the JLR and the TJR gets the old radio.

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
I bought a MXT275 for my JLR 2 years ago. On the trail I make aggressive use of MSS (Manual Stop Start). Each restart I'd need to hold the power button to fire up the radio, a major PITA.

Last month I bought a new MXT275 for my TJR. It uses the new mic and remembers the state when power is lost. The mic's aren't interchangeable. So the new MXT275 went into the JLR and the TJR gets the old radio.
I didn’t know that about the older version. I was happy the new one recalls the last power state. I believe the old radios have a USB A port and the new have a USB C.

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR

Also, does this unit have the speaker on the base unit or does it use the mic for a speaker?

If the speaker is on the base unit, can you hear it well enough under the dash panel?

Dave
It has a speaker in the base and the MIC. You can set the output to both, only the MIC or only the base. Do some google searches for Midland MXT 275 Jeep JL install.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
It has a speaker in the base and the MIC. You can set the output to both, only the MIC or only the base. Do some google searches for Midland MXT 275 Jeep JL install.
Or read the owners manual. I set mine to use both speakers although I haven't noticed if that's any better than the default mic speaker only.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Dave
It's mounted with a single big slab of industrial-strength Velcro. It's in there solid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission PXL_20230214_204028029

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

It's mounted with a single big slab of industrial-strength Velcro. It's in there solid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MXT275 Micro Mobile Radio install in 2022 JLR with Automatic Transmission PXL_20230214_204028029
How the hell does this look so neat and tidy!? I have so much wire coiled up and zip ties everywhere from the Tazer and Pedal Monster. Not to mention trying to work under there is a bitch. Tell me your secrets sir. 😂

OP, nice write up! I’ll be using a different mounting location and power source but the cable routing instruction is handy. Thank you. Have you tested the radio yet?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

How the hell does this look so neat and tidy!? I have so much wire coiled up and zip ties everywhere from the Tazer and Pedal Monster. Not to mention trying to work under there is a bitch. Tell me your secrets sir. 😂

OP, nice write up! I’ll be using a different mounting location and power source but the cable routing instruction is handy. Thank you. Have you tested the radio yet?
I'm guessing it's due to not having a Pedal Monster. The wires to the radio go behind everything. Ditto for the Tazer. No zip ties required. I guess it doesn't really matter since it's all behind the panel though.

Trav73

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
On the subject of GMRS antenna cables, my MXT275 came with a very long premade antenna cable. I have it mounted on the driver side cowl, run across the engine firewall cable try and into the passenger footwell (Manual Jeep so no drivers side grommet). My radio will be right behind the glove box with a flush mount CAT5 coupler mounted in a hole I plan to cut somewhere in the passenger side console area.

1. Are there any problems with shortening the cable or is the cable/antenna "tuned" to specific length.
  2. Are there tools to install a new end connector after the cable is cut to size?

I hear the extra antenna cable should not be coiled up into a bungle, but I'm not sure what else to do with all the extra.
Sponsored