Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
  • Banned
I’m wanting to add a trail radio that’s capable of working with portable handheld units that are reasonably priced. I have read here and found the mxt275 and it appears to be a good unit for our needs. I know very little about radios and was curious to see everyone’s setup. Was originally looking into CB but didn’t want to mess with old technology and handheld gmrs radios are cheap enough to have several to hand out. That option isn’t as available for the CB.

I’m curious about mounting and most importantly the antenna. It comes with a little 6” one but they have a 27” they claim quadruples the range and adds 6db. I’m assuming that’s decibles to make it louder?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brett
Sponsored

Twmcneilly

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 CTD, 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour
Occupation
Retired
I’m wanting to add a trail radio that’s capable of working with portable handheld units that are reasonably priced. I have read here and found the mxt275 and it appears to be a good unit for our needs. I know very little about radios and was curious to see everyone’s setup. Was originally looking into CB but didn’t want to mess with old technology and handheld gmrs radios are cheap enough to have several to hand out. That option isn’t as available for the CB.

I’m curious about mounting and most importantly the antenna. It comes with a little 6” one but they have a 27” they claim quadruples the range and adds 6db. I’m assuming that’s decibles to make it louder?

Brett
I’m wondering and interested in the same radio you mentioned here. Here have any further info on recommendations and mounting ideas? Or have just gone for it?
Thanks

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I’m wondering and interested in the same radio you mentioned here. Here have any further info on recommendations and mounting ideas? Or have just gone for it?
Thanks
I just went for it. Temp mounted in center console. Will take pics. Haven’t tried it out yet

Brett

Twmcneilly

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 CTD, 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour
Occupation
Retired
I just went for it. Temp mounted in center console. Will take pics. Haven’t tried it out yet

Brett
I’m gonna follow your lead. Please advise if you make any discoveries. Amazon, here we come!
Thanks
Terry

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR

Brett
I have the 6db gain Midland antenna you're referencing. The dB of gain has to do with direction of power. A standard antenna will propagate radio frequency energy in all directions equally, whereas an antenna marketed as having "X" dB of gain means that it concentrates the RF energy, making the transmit range greater on a flat plane. Essentially it squishes the usable range of the radio from a sphere into a pancake. Extending the range 4x toward the horizon, but reducing it by 1/4 above your head. And since we are driving and not flying, a 6db gain antenna is ideal.

Have both GMRS and CB, and can say that GMRS is more subject to line of sight interference than the CB, but clarity and open range more than make up for that in my view. Got the bundle deal with the mxt115 and a couple of their GMRS handhelds on amazon. Very nice equipment.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I’m gonna follow your lead. Please advise if you make any discoveries. Amazon, here we come!
Thanks
Terry
If you buy thru midland use code farm15 for 15% off. Got it in 3 business days I think. Got the 275, magnetic base and 6db antenna

Brett

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I have the 6db gain Midland antenna you're referencing. The dB of gain has to do with direction of power. A standard antenna will propagate radio frequency energy in all directions equally, whereas an antenna marketed as having "X" dB of gain means that it concentrates the RF energy, making the transmit range greater on a flat plane. Essentially it squishes the usable range of the radio from a sphere into a pancake. Extending the range 4x toward the horizon, but reducing it by 1/4 above your head. And since we are driving and not flying, a 6db gain antenna is ideal.

Have both GMRS and CB, and can say that GMRS is more subject to line of sight interference than the CB, but clarity and open range more than make up for that in my view. Got the bundle deal with the mxt115 and a couple of their GMRS handhelds on amazon. Very nice equipment.
That makes sense. It’s all sitting in the Jeep. We haven’t mounted anything permanently yet. Just going to use the magnetic base and 6db antenna by sitting it on the roll bar. Hopefully it’ll work

Brett

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
That makes sense. It’s all sitting in the Jeep. We haven’t mounted anything permanently yet. Just going to use the magnetic base and 6db antenna by sitting it on the roll bar. Hopefully it’ll work

Brett
Should work great up there. Just watch out for tree branches, low overhangs, etc. I ended up mounting mine on an L bracket behind the plastic cowl cover on the front driver side.
6dbantenna.jpg

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Should work great up there. Just watch out for tree branches, low overhangs, etc. I ended up mounting mine on an L bracket behind the plastic cowl cover on the front driver side.
6dbantenna.jpg
What part of Texas are you in? Looks North houstonish

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes sir! Weather is looking like it's off to a great start today. You up in Navasota?
Yes. We’re between Montgomery and Navasota. In Farmington nm right now. Should be rolling into Moab tomorrow for a week and a half! Didn’t mean to be a creeper, just find it interesting how you can usually pick out a state if not a town from guys pics here based on terrain, style and trees

Brett

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I’m looking at buying the midland mxt275 and has any one mounted the antenna on the tailgate anywhere

Twmcneilly

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I just finished an antenna install on my JL. I have the new Teraflex spare tire carrier, but the concept should also work with the factory carrier. I wanted something that was centerline mounted, and didn’t interfere with the CB antenna on the factory reinforced tire carrier.
I took some 1/8” plate aluminum that I had lying around and cut it into a large upside-down ”T” shape, approximately 15” tall, and 10” wide, with the bottom and center approximately 2” wide. I drilled ~1/2” dia. holes to line up with the two innermost upper bolts for the tire carrier on each end of the lower part. I also drilled a hole in the center of the upper part to accommodate the NMO style connector mount on the antenna cable. I then heated and bent a nice tight 90 degree tab in the upper “leg” for the antenna to mount to. Make sure the bent tab and the bracket itself doesn’t interfere with the rear wiper operation; you might need a space to provide adequate clearance. Also, I added a second layer of the 1/8” material riveted to the lower portion of the bracket to add some additional stiffness, not sure it was absolutely necessary, but I had plenty of material so why not. Then to install, Simply remove the two upper/inner tire carrier bolts and put the tee-bracket against the tire carrier and reinstall the bolts. I ran the coax down the bracket attached with zip ties, and through the rubber grommet into the tailgate. I’m still routing the coax to the radio head so I can’t speak to performance, but It sure looks nice. And by using the NMO mount with a rain cap, I can remove the antenna for daily driving and parking garages. BTW I’m using the Midland 6db gain antenna.
Unfortunately I didn’t take any work in progress photos, but here are some completed ones.

17BE3A5A-9133-4335-80D5-11E64A0F04D0.jpeg

E82C1523-70A7-4875-9646-A9071E4DE1BE.jpeg

6DD583F0-20C1-47BC-9A5C-1A429B58BD91.jpeg

E52FFAFA-FFCA-4791-8836-C0D3FA591992.jpeg

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
Great information from everyone, been looking at either the MTX275 or MXT400 because they are compatible with the little walkies and don't need to take a HAM test.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.