First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Here is a picture of the RJ45 plug I added for the Midland Radio. Didn't find a good place on the dash as the connector was pretty deep, but this spot had a lot of clearance behind the plastic. I actually bought a 2m cable, but only needed about 2ft, so you can get a 1m version. My GMRS "brain" is under the passenger seat, along with the Cobra CB "brain", and a dual ARB air compressor; there is a lot of room under that seat. :) All are bolted down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland mxt275 GMRS radio questions cat5plu
Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Here is a picture of the RJ45 plug I added for the Midland Radio. Didn't find a good place on the dash as the connector was pretty deep, but this spot had a lot of clearance behind the plastic. I actually bought a 2m cable, but only needed about 2ft, so you can get a 1m version. My GMRS "brain" is under the passenger seat, along with the Cobra CB "brain", and a dual ARB air compressor; there is a lot of room under that seat. :) All are bolted down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland mxt275 GMRS radio questions cat5plu
Very nice - thank you for the inspiration! I have the same 2 radios, but have the brains behind the glove locked glove box but the handsets are hanging off CoolTech and JeepUniq mounts on the left side of the passenger grab bar with the cords stretching to under the glove box. I don't really like leaving them mounted there when I'm not wheeling - your solution is better (and I have my ARB under the passenger seat too! - an ARB mount with the JK Innovative Products distribution lines).

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Very nice - thank you for the inspiration! I have the same 2 radios, but have the brains behind the glove locked glove box but the handsets are hanging off CoolTech and JeepUniq mounts on the left side of the passenger grab bar with the cords stretching to under the glove box. I don't really like leaving them mounted there when I'm not wheeling - your solution is better (and I have my ARB under the passenger seat too! - an ARB mount with the JK Innovative Products distribution lines).
Cooltech kit for the CB is very nice. I use their mic mount too. I tend to only have 1 radio connected at a time. And I carry both a handheld CB and GMRS radio for a spotter or another Jeep to borrow.

Love to see where you mount the plug. Many places depending on how deep you want to get into the dash. It was easy to access this spot, and it works well here. I may take a black sharpie to the surface metal though. :)

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a link to where I can buy a replacement power cord with the cigarette adapter?

Taking a road trip and need to temporarily move the mxt275 to another vehicle.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Does anyone have a link to where I can buy a replacement power cord with the cigarette adapter?

Taking a road trip and need to temporarily move the mxt275 to another vehicle.
If you change the power cord to PowerPole connectors you could make up as many cables as you need for cheap.

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I know this is a thread for the MXT275 but I need a little help with a recommendation. I'm in the process of installing the MXT400 in the passenger foot well using midlands MXTA24 low profile antenna cable. I've ran the cable behind the console and to the passenger cowl but I have way to much cable bundled under the cowl. I'm thinking of cutting the cable under the cowl and shortening the line from there to the antenna.

Can anyone recommend an adapter/coupling that would allow this without impacting reception.

Pic for reference.
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland mxt275 GMRS radio questions 1595613146201

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
A crimp or solder PL259 would be fine, you would need to run all the extra wire to the radio end instead of the antenna end.
Thanks for the input. I came to that conclusion too. Was thinking I could use a couple of BNC connectors and a coupler but replacing the PL259 connector seems like the cleanest approach with the least chance of signal loss. Now I just have to wait for Amazon to deliver the PL259 connector (hopefully decent quality) and a Coax die set for my crimp...

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Having trouble locating something like you used - all I can seem to find are a bit larger profile designed for a circular hole (which I could do but prefer your method). Any chance you can provide a link for the pass through you used?

thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland mxt275 GMRS radio questions 1595613146201

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
So sooner or later the little plastic disc that clips the mic to a mount will break. It’s held on by the smallest of screws and weak plastic base. I tried super gluing mine the first time but it broke again.

The fix was to buy a Firestick universal mic mount button, part number RMB1. About $8. It is machined aluminum and comes witha sturdy bolt and nut. Unscrew the six screws holding the mic body and you’ll need to carefully drill out the existing metal nut, and a light dremel to make some room for the new nut and shorten the new bolt. Super Easy and now the mic mount button is solid!

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
If you change the power cord to PowerPole connectors you could make up as many cables as you need for cheap.
^^^ this. I put PP connectors on the end of the 12v accessory adapter and on all radio power leads (including ones for HTs). I can run a PP splitter and run multiple radios in a temp install no problem. As long as I'm not trying to transmit multiple rigs at once current draw isn't an issue (unless you're running HF and higher power).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.