CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I'm thinking about doing this also. But maybe putting a cat5 socket mounted on a dash panel somewhere, so I can unplug/plug in the mic when needed. Any suggestions?
I like this idea a lot and we sourced and sold these "chassis mount" plugs (essentially they snap into a square hole), but you need to be careful about the quality. Some of these designs have the microphone "click" retainer too far back and it allow for too much fore/aft play in the plug and this causes problems with the Midland Radio. Hard to know you will have a good fitment until you receive it and try it with your microphone. Let us all know if you find one that works well.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
When I installed my buds Midland radio, he wanted it right on the dash. I mounted it to his 67 rail.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
That's an interesting mount, I'm guessing I can mount my Rugged Radios GMR25 bracket to it. I already have a mic holder.
I don't see a reason why you couldn't. My midland is relatively thin, this mount holds the radio itself tight to the transmission tunnel so that it doesn't impede on the passenger leg area too badly. I then ran the mic up a 67d mount on the driver side top of the dash. The only issue that I have with this setup is the radio location interferes with the seat's fold and tumble feature, basically the seat can't move all the way forward. This limits access to the rear of the Jeep. I don't have a rear seat so it's not an issue for me, but might be a no go for others. I believe the 4 doors do not have this fold and tumble feature, so there is probably no interference in the larger Jeeps.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
That's an interesting mount, I'm guessing I can mount my Rugged Radios GMR25 bracket to it. I already have a mic holder.
I posted this before. I did something similar but since I'm using an MXT400 without the controls on the mic I needed to move the radio up for better access.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install 1628182527628

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install 1628182561610

Sponsored

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
For those of you with Rubicons, you can fix the radio above inverter(if thats what it is). There is about an inch of room left before hitting the steering. I used Velcro to install mine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install 1628182561610
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but @TroyBoy... how has this Velcro on the inverter been working for you? Still stuck, no issues?

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your idea and it worked beautifully.
If you were to mount it behind the glove box couldn't you just leave the mike in the glove box connected? The when you use it pull it out, and close the box on the cord?

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
If you were to mount it behind the glove box couldn't you just leave the mike in the glove box connected? The when you use it pull it out, and close the box on the cord?
Closing the cord in the glovebox probably wouldn't be too good on the cord long term. An extension cable with a RJ45 panel mount in the dash would make a clean quick mic jack.

Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Closing the cord in the glovebox probably wouldn't be too good on the cord long term. An extension cable with a RJ45 panel mount in the dash would make a clean quick mic jack.
I'd probably make a discrete notch in the box so there wouldn't be an issue with it getting cut. I mean out of 100% of the saddletime in the Jeep how much time are you going to be actually using the GMRS? 1 / 3% of the time? I'd rather keep it hidden and out of the way till I need it.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I have a diesel Rubicon and used the cooltech kit on my rubi to mount a Midland mxt275 gmrs radio. I mounted the head unit under the steering column and ran the power and ground to the passenger foot well were there is the 12v constant accessory power and a ground stud. I ran the antenna through the firewall plug on the driver's side to a cool tech cowl mount with ghost antenna. I seem to be getting good distance and reception but when I transmit my buddies are hearing alot of feed back on their end. It almost sounds like a diesel hum. Could it be my power source? Do I need to go straight to the battery? I've checked my antenna connections and all are good. My antenna wire isnt coiled. Anybody had a similar experience? Any other ideas?

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
I'd rather keep it hidden and out of the way till I need it.
I get it, that's why I suggested the RJ45 panel mount in the dash or console. Unplug the mic and put it away when not in use and you just have a little unsuspecting internet data/phone jack. Whatever works for you, just make sure the notch in the glovebox is smooth so it doesn't cut into the mic cable.

Deleted member 35398

I have a diesel Rubicon and used the cooltech kit on my rubi to mount a Midland mxt275 gmrs radio. I mounted the head unit under the steering column and ran the power and ground to the passenger foot well were there is the 12v constant accessory power and a ground stud. I ran the antenna through the firewall plug on the driver's side to a cool tech cowl mount with ghost antenna. I seem to be getting good distance and reception but when I transmit my buddies are hearing alot of feed back on their end. It almost sounds like a diesel hum. Could it be my power source? Do I need to go straight to the battery? I've checked my antenna connections and all are good. My antenna wire isnt coiled. Anybody had a similar experience? Any other ideas?
Rob, I'm not a pro at this by any means. But from all of the research I've done and Youtube videos I've watched, 99% of guys wire the radio directly to the battery to avoid any extraneous interference.

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Rob, I'm not a pro at this by any means. But from all of the research I've done and Youtube videos I've watched, 99% of guys wire the radio directly to the battery to avoid any extraneous interference.
Sweet, thanks for the reply. That was going to be my next move.
Sponsored