Sponsored

Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
But the MTX275 has the speaker on the box and not the handset like the Cobra CB, so with my hearing, tucking the box away likely means I can’t hear anything.

So I haven’t mounted mine yet. Trying to decide where. Tuck it away and have to add an external speaker with some type of temporary mount so I can remove the speaker when not needed, or put it where I can hear the speaker, with maybe a temporary mount to again remove when not needed

Scott
My MTX275 has the speaker on the handset. There looks to be speaker holes on the box, but the handset is where the sound comes out on mine.
Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
But the MTX275 has the speaker on the box and not the handset like the Cobra CB, so with my hearing, tucking the box away likely means I can’t hear anything.

So I haven’t mounted mine yet. Trying to decide where. Tuck it away and have to add an external speaker with some type of temporary mount so I can remove the speaker when not needed, or put it where I can hear the speaker, with maybe a temporary mount to again remove when not needed

Scott

That is great! Thanks. That answers my question and I can tuck it away.

Scott
I can barely hear either one of those little speakers when driving.

I am gonna take advantage of the aux speaker jack and run a wire to the left front dash speaker utilizing the WIZ audio interrupt. Basically it will cut off the radio playing on your left factory speaker whenever someone transmits on the radio. Taking advantage of the larger and higher wattage speaker that is mounted closer to your ear and shield by the windshield. Just waiting for the thing to come in the mail to start the install. That way I can hide the radio up under the knee panel below the steering wheel.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I can barely hear either one of those little speakers when driving.

I am gonna take advantage of the aux speaker jack and run a wire to the left front dash speaker utilizing the WIZ audio interrupt. Basically it will cut off the radio playing on your left factory speaker whenever someone transmits on the radio. Taking advantage of the larger and higher wattage speaker that is mounted closer to your ear and shield by the windshield. Just waiting for the thing to come in the mail to start the install. That way I can hide the radio up under the knee panel below the steering wheel.
Link for the WIZ please. That sounds what I need!

Scott

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
WIZ sounds really innovative, but I'm not sure it will really work the way that you want it to. I think there are a couple of fundamental concerns/problems that will compromise the usefulness of this device.

1. The unit only mutes the front left speaker (*). All of the other speakers will continue to play at the same volume level you had set through the stereo. So, you are going to have 3 speakers at the stereo volume playing and then you are going to have the front left speaker with the audio from the GMRS. (*) if you have an aftermarket stereo that has a wire that will mute the stereo with an input signal, this WIX device can do that... but you need a stereo with a mute input wire.

2. Audio level. It doesn't appear that the WIZ incorporates any kind of amplification. As such, you are dependent on the amplification that is coming from the GMRS. This amplification (volume) may or may not be sufficient for your needs.

A link to the WIZ wiring diagram is HERE.

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
ALERT:
I found a problem with my install today when putting the dogs in the back seat. I have a two door and the seat is blocked from sliding forward by the radio. I guess I am going to have to find a new location. I will try either behind the glove box or under the dash on the drivers side.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I use the Btech handheld GMRS. Have a mount that attaches it to my Bulletproof dash mount. Don't use them enough to have one hard wired, and I've never had an issue with range with this thing.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
ALERT:
I found a problem with my install today when putting the dogs in the back seat. I have a two door and the seat is blocked from sliding forward by the radio. I guess I am going to have to find a new location. I will try either behind the glove box or under the dash on the drivers side.
Yes, see if you can find a location that is hidden/out of the way and where you have sufficient length on the microphone cord. Know that it is simple/inexpensive to add an extension cable to the microphone. Another advantage securing the MXT275 "brain" out of sight is that you reduce temptation of theft - perhaps especially if you also unplugged and place the handset in your console or glovebox.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I'm sorry, this is not correct. The sound from the radio comes from the microphone, NOT from the "brain" box. As such, it works identically to the Cobra 75WXST.

Sponsored

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
Yes, see if you can find a location that is hidden/out of the way and where you have sufficient length on the microphone cord. Know that it is simple/inexpensive to add an extension cable to the microphone. Another advantage securing the MXT275 "brain" out of sight is that you reduce temptation of theft - perhaps especially if you also unplugged and place the handset in your console or glovebox.
I looked to see if I could mount it behind the glove box, but I don't see anywhere unless I mount it on the right side to what I believe is the plastic enclosure for the speaker by your legs.

I am going to take a look under the steering column and see if there is a good place. Barring, I might try under the seat, but I'd rather not.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I mounted my radio behind the glove box a bit up to the right as you look at it there is a space. I flex tied it there. I use a aux speaker which I mounted behind the panel below the steering wheel.

I looked to see if I could mount it behind the glove box, but I don't see anywhere unless I mount it on the right side to what I believe is the plastic enclosure for the speaker by your legs.

I am going to take a look under the steering column and see if there is a good place. Barring, I might try under the seat, but I'd rather not.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
mounted my radio behind the glove box a bit up to the right
Exactly. Whatever works. Zip ties, 3M Gray double stick tape, or a combination. Don't bother with the slide-in mount. The unit is small enough that I think you can find places as flharleycop did.

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
Exactly. Whatever works. Zip ties, 3M Gray double stick tape, or a combination. Don't bother with the slide-in mount. The unit is small enough that I think you can find places as flharleycop did.
Holy cow! I pulled the panel off below the steering column and ther is a spot that looks like it was meant to install a radio!
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install NOXR2668[1].JPG

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Looks like there is plenty of room. And, as a suggestion, you could have the remote mic extension cable plugged in to the tucked-away unit and have the end of it poke out under the console. This way you can plug in the mic and disconnect it quite easily if you are parked in a sketchy area.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install MicExtension
Sponsored