First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Can someone who knows comment on the power and ground in the footwell? I figured this was only with the aux wiring which I do not have. My CB power goes through the grommet in the firewall straight to the battery. About to wire up my GMRS radio and was wondering about an easier way.
Sponsored

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
Can someone who knows comment on the power and ground in the footwell? I figured this was only with the aux wiring which I do not have. My CB power goes through the grommet in the firewall straight to the battery. About to wire up my GMRS radio and was wondering about an easier way.

This easily plugs into the existing 12V power source behind the center console. Installation took me less than 10 minutes. https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
Hmm...its free to just run some wire through the fire wall and way less work. Unless there's something I can tap off right in the foot well the firewall seems like the best option. I appreciate the link.
I also have a manual 6spd and wiring my rock sliders through the firewall was a pain for me.

Sponsored

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
It was a pain, yeah, but since I already have a hole hopefully it isnt awful this time.
I have aux switches, some are already in use, and will move sliders to aux. I'm going to reroute my GMRS through the firewall so I can free up the power port for the front camera, and remove the CB wiring from firewall. A coworker damaged that thick wiring going through the passenger firewall being careless. I wish Jeep would have provided a firewall access port for running wires on 6 speeds

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You are correct, the wires in the passenger footwell are only there if you have the aux switches.

Glen722

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU
Clubs

I really like this radio. I have the radio mounted under the passenger seat, and ran power under the center console into the dash and used Quadratec's power adapter https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl and the mic is mounted using a Mag Mount.
IMG_8955.jpeg
I like your mic location. What is the name brand of the Mag Mount? Is it Magnetic Mic? How is it mounted to the dash? Is it screwed with self-taping screws or through-bolted? Thanks!

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2.0 turbo, auto

Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
When installing the antenna for you need to tune it like CB? I know many will just stick a antenna on a mount for CB and wonder why they can barely talk to another a block away but an SWR meter and trimming the wire go a long way. Is GMRS the same?

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
When installing the antenna for you need to tune it like CB? I know many will just stick a antenna on a mount for CB and wonder why they can barely talk to another a block away but an SWR meter and trimming the wire go a long way. Is GMRS the same?
It's not nearly as picky if your using an out of the box antenna.

Placement on our jeeps is a sacrifice. I put mine in the rear, I know there is some loss, but it's better than clipping it on crap as it gets some protection by the spare and hard top.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I mounted my Midland MX275 like others do on he right side of the tunnel. I popped off the little cover that is there, got a longer bolt, made a spacer and bolted the radio bracket right to the tunnel. Worked great. I got a mic mount that fits behind the a/c panel, no new holes Anywhere, I made my antenna mount out of 2” aluminum angle and mounted it behind the driver side cowl in front of the A pillar. I routed my antenna wire around the front back to the passenger door and through into the radio. It’s powered off Aux 1. I used the extra ground under the kick panel on the passenger side. The trim was a bit difficult to get off not knowing how it attaches. I still need to check SWR.

10D66E42-ACC9-4CAC-97D1-733323598A21.jpeg

07226304-39D3-4427-809C-3FEC3EA0DE9E.jpeg

00E848CE-48E9-4A6B-B4DF-7DF1D29AA9A8.jpeg

0881A00A-6B7D-42F0-83BA-E94B354EB7B1.jpeg

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
Last edited:

Bob Rae

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK
Hey all, I took a few different turns on my install. For starters, I decided to use the hinge reinforcement mount using a NMO mount and using a No Ground Plane antenna. I decided to do this since there are so few ground plane surfaces on the Jeep. This seemed like a good call. The Hinge Mount makes a very clean install.
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_2994
Sponsored