Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2.0 turbo, auto
So I just installed the Midland MicroMobile MXT275 GMRS radio. After looking around for install videos, I didn't really find a comprehensive source so I thought I'd put together an install thread here if anyone is interested.

The install isn't 100% complete because the antenna I want is currently on backorder but I'll include instructions for installation of that as well as if I had installed it.

What you'll need:
Midland MXT275 MicroMobile Radio
Midland MXTA26 6db Gain Whip Antenna
Midland MXTA24 Low Profile Antenna Cable
Antenna Mount
Red 14 gauge wire
Black 14 gauge wire
Butt connectors (2)
Ring connectors (2)
Inline fuse holder
10 amp fuse (1)

Before you get started, take out all the bolts and remove your windshield wipers so you can lower your windshield, remove the passenger side cowl, and remove the passenger door.

First you'll need to choose where you want to mount your radio. I went with the passenger side just to the side of the gear shifter. This is a convenient location both for accessibility and for installation because routing the wires from here is pretty quick and painless.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5741

Use the smallest drill bit you have, drill some guide holes for the three screws that secure the mount to the center console then screw in the screws to mount the mount.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5742

Before mounting the unit, you'll need to cut the provided power cord and connect your own wires. I used yellow 14 gauge wire for the hot wire (I didn't have any red) and black 14 gauge wire for the ground.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5751

Once you've connected the new power and ground cables, it's time to run the wires to the engine bay.

Pull the carpet up starting from the front of the vehicle. There are two grommet/holder things that will pop right out when you pull.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5744
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5743

With the carpet pull up, run the wires around the floor towards the door wiring harness. At the door wiring harness, run the wires behind the harness to keep it tucked in. I have the wires showing in the picture below just to illustrate where I ran them. Once you have everything put back together at the end, you can tuck these down farther so they can't be seen.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5745

From here, make sure the windshield is lowered and run the wires up the side of the vehicle between the door and glove box. You can use a flat head screwdriver to push the wires behind the foam.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5746

With the windshield folded down, you can run the wires through the cowl area into the engine bay. If I had the antenna, I would also install the antenna mount and antenna under the cowl at this point.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5747

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5748

Connect one of the ring connectors to the ground wire and secure it to the side of the vehicle. There's a ground right next to the fuse box you can use.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5749

Now you'll need to connect the inline fuse holder to the hot wire. Once the fuse holder is connected, insert a 10 amp fuse. Finally, connect the second ring connector to the other end of the inline fuse holder and connect it to the battery.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_5750

And that's it. This was a very simple install that only took me about 1.5 hours at most. It's so much easier to install than a CB radio! I've never done an install write up so I hope this was helpful for my first try at this.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Nice, but are you aware that there is a power wire and a great ground spot in the passenger footwell?

I am thinking about going to this radio as well. I am getting tired of caring extra batteries and chargers for our handheld radios.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I mounted my MXT275 radio in the same area on the passenger side of the shift box, just drilled three very small pilot holes and mounted the bracket. I used the CoolTech rear antenna mount with the low profile cable. Had to take off the tail gate trim, pull the rubber plug and drill a hole in it to route the cable from outside to inside and then I and was able to tuck the cable under trim all the way up to the passenger seat. I then went under the passenger seat to the radio. I have the Midland 6db gain whip antenna mounted on the tail gate hinge mount. For power I just use the 12V power adapter that came with the radio so I did not need to run wires. I also used CoolTech Mike mount.
My installation took about 1.5 hours and I was in no rush. Hardest part for me was removing and re-installing the spare tire.

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2.0 turbo, auto
Nice, but are you aware that there is a power wire and a great ground spot in the passenger footwell?
Yes and no. I found a video when I was researching how to install it that mentioned the ground and power supply in the passenger side footwell but when it came time to actually install it, I couldn't find the video and when I was looking in that area during install, I wasn't seeing it/couldn't remember from the video I had watched before. Also, I'm not sure if that power you're referring to is hot all the time. I want to be able to have the radio running with the vehicle off.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Nice install.
For anyone looking to install the same radio, the mic can easily be extended using cat5/6 cable and a RJ45 panel mount so that the body can be mounted anywhere out of sight. I have mine mounted in the very rear of my Cherokee but the mic comes up next to the console.

Sponsored

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Does the GMRS radio use the same antenna wire as a CB or is it completely different? I have the Cooltech mount and Cooltech CB antenna and Cobra set up but wondering if this is a simple swap out the antenna in the rear, unplug the CB and lug in the GMRS and good to go or if I need to re-run the entire antenna wire.

Nice install write-up BTW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've done similar. I'm running it off the cig lighter at the moment but will tap the hot wire under the passenger footwell. I mounted the radio unit on the panel under the steering column to take at least some advantage of the speaker in it. I run with both the handset and base speakers on, giving just a little more volume.

These are great radios! Midland hinted that they are coming out with a 40w version of this sometime before Christmas. If they do, I may upgrade, even though I've not taken full advantage of the 15w this one provides.

I also mounted my antenna on the driver side with a Rugged Radios mount that is simple and clean. It sits so that from the driver seat the A-pillar blocks my view of it, which also keeps my cowling mounted side shooter lights from glaring off of it.

I'll post up pics when I get a chance.

Btw, I also had an MXT115 in my JK, but I think it has an inferior microphone. The MXT275 sounds MUCH more clear when transmitting. So I swapped out the 115 for an MXT400 I picked up for a hundred bucks on Ebay. Got lucky on that deal. But the 400 is just too big for my liking for the JL. That's why I hope they do the 40w version of the 275.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Does the GMRS radio use the same antenna wire as a CB or is it completely different? I have the Cooltech mount and Cooltech CB antenna and Cobra set up but wondering if this is a simple swap out the antenna in the rear, unplug the CB and lug in the GMRS and good to go or if I need to re-run the entire antenna wire.

The short answer is yes, you can use the same coax. But not the same antenna. The antenna for a CB is MUCH longer than the antenna for GMRS. Plus with most radios, the higher the antenna, the better performance.

A GMRS antenna is a few inches long where a CB antenna can be over 100 inches. I think you'd be ahead if you got a GMRS antenna that will fit on top of the sport bar. Since they are so short, that is a pretty easy thing to do.

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
Antennas are also tuned to have the best transmit in the given frequency band for their intended purpose.

CB is around 27 MHz whereas a GMRS antenna is tuned for 462 MHz

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails

CoolTech makes the GMRS mount for the rear hinge just like the CB set up, the hole for the antenna mount is a different size so I believe you would have to change the mount. I have the 6db whip mounted on the rear of my JLU which extends to a few inches above the roof. CoolTech now also offers a mount for the front of the vehicle if you would rather go that route.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Yes and no. I found a video when I was researching how to install it that mentioned the ground and power supply in the passenger side footwell but when it came time to actually install it, I couldn't find the video and when I was looking in that area during install, I wasn't seeing it/couldn't remember from the video I had watched before. Also, I'm not sure if that power you're referring to is hot all the time. I want to be able to have the radio running with the vehicle off.

I did something similar but since I'm using an MXT400 without the controls on the mic I needed to move the radio up for better access.

The reason you couldn't find the wiring in the passenger footwell is because it's part of the wiring that comes with the auxiliary switches. With the wiring for the 4 auxiliary switches comes 2 extra wires in the footwell, one wire is direct to battery and the other is an ignition accessory wire. Also if you pull the door wiring harness off and the panel behind it there is a grounding stud just below.

I wired my radio to the direct to battery wire from the bundle and used the ignition accessory wire to add USB charging plugs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install 1604762731073

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install 1604762806679

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT

Here's my GMRS antenna, its much shorter than a CB antenna and tuned for a different frequency than CB
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_8959

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Here's my GMRS antenna, its much shorter than a CB antenna and tuned for a different frequency than CB
Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install IMG_8959
Just looking at the antenna, it looks like a ham radio dual band antenna. I use the same one for ham and GMRS and it should work well.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I just made the switch from CB to GMRS because nobody seems to use CBs anymore, even on trail runs. In just firing up the GMRS radio and testing it and getting it wired in, there was more chatter and activity than I've ever been able to get out my CB over the past couple of years.

I retained my Cobra 75's coax, wiring, and mic connector just in case there is a situation where I need it, but I used my empty Mopar A-pillar bracket for the ghost antenna and basically put the base unit inside the inner door trim. It's connected to the Jeep's interior wiring harness and remains clean and out of the way.

I kept the Cobra's connector box sitting atop the trim so I can get to the coax for tuning purposes, but I have a feeling I'll eventually eliminate the unit entirely.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install PXL_20201108_183838094

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install PXL_20201108_183851634

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland MicroMobile 15w GMRS Install PXL_20201108_183911840
Sponsored