DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot to mention that I really don't plan on using the repeater often. The main reason is so that a friend and I can communicate from our homes as a backup to mobile phones in a disaster or if mobile phone towers are damaged in a storm or something. We just can't quite reach with the GMRS alone, even on high power. Too many obstructions such as neighborhoods, hills, buildings, and trees in between. But we're loud and clear with the repeater.
Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Even if you get the same distance using a CB and GMRS... GMRS still wins.
GMRS is FM instead of AM so it is less susceptible to RFI and sounds better.
The antenna is super small, a 1/4 wave GMRS antenna is somewhere around 9". A 1/4 wave CB antenna is about 102". Sure you can get shorter CB antennas but that compromises your signal and gives you less bandwidth (SWR readings will be higher at towards the ends of the CB channel range) but you can get longer GMRS antennas which will give you more gain and direct more of your signal towards the horizon which helps when communicating over flat open land.
Also a GMRS antenna needs far less ground plane than a CB antenna so it can be mounted in places that a CB antenna can't or shouldn't.

As far as using a GMRS repeater, myGMRS.com is a good resource for repeater info. Some are open which means anyone is welcome to use it (given that you have a license), some just require asking the repeater owner for permission and some want you to pay a small fee.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the information, I have no idea of this level GMRS I am an old CB guy from Smokey and the Bandit days. Back then we sat at home and talked about how our radios sounded too... lol. Thanks for explaining this to me.

QUOTE="DanW, post: 1395365, member: 10115"]
I'm still learning but you just have to get permission to use the repeaters, and they usually have etiquett rules and such. I joined a group at midwestgmrs.com and got permission to use the Indy600 and Greencastle 725, both of which overlap where I live.. It is networked up into Wisconsin, I think out to Idaho and also down into the southwest. I'm not sure how all of that works but I know I can talk to them. I have a friend on it, too, that lives a few miles away and he actually spoke to a guy in Idaho. We listen to them all the time.

So once I had permission I turn on the repeater function in my Midland GMRS from the menu. You then get a bank of the repeater channels above the ones already there, but they are the same, 15-22 that are in the regular bank. They just say RP next to them or REP. I then tune channel 17 in the repeater bank and then use the privacy code they give me. The Midlands can currently only do a one channel repeater where you send and receive on the one channel. For example the Greencastle repeater appears to require one channel to transmit and another tu receive. If I have the terminology correct, that's duplex. The Midlands only do simplex, but that's going to change with a new radio they are introducing later in the year. Also, on the Midland 275, there is a clicking sound when you are on the repeater channel that is eliminated when you hit the monitor function. The good news is that you can hear fine, but the bad news is you have to hear the static. Overalll, though, I prefer the simplicity of the Midland MXT275 and it also has a loud speaker. It is a good quality unit and works GREAT for direct mobile to moblile or mobile to walkie communication.

I hope that all makes sense. Again, I'm just beginning to learn and what I know is mainly limited to the repeaters near me. Others may have different rules and such. I also signed up at mygmrs.com and they have a forum. Their members are very helpful, although a few are very arrogant and look down on the Midland radios and don't seem to understand that there are other uses for these things besides sitting in their basement and yacking to each other about how their radios sound. But again, there are many who are VERY helpful.

There are new repeaters popping up all the time, too.

On a side note, the radio Midland is preparing to introduce is a 50w programmable radio. That's the one that will be able to do duplex communication with repeaters. I also have heard they are going to do a 40w MXT275 but have delayed it due to Covid and strong demand for their existing products.
[/QUOTE]

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
Haha. I can do a lot with Velcro and zip ties! I just hope the peel and stick doesn’t become stick and peel. What did you do with the mile of antenna cable? I was tempted to cut it and put on a new end but I was worried that might effect the antenna tuning. I ended up running the antenna cable inside the plastic door step along the side of the jeep and back.
I got the 20' cable with the NMO mount from CoolTech and it fit perfectly. I ran it from the back of the Jeep along the passenger side.

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
Even if you get the same distance using a CB and GMRS... GMRS still wins.
GMRS is FM instead of AM so it is less susceptible to RFI and sounds better.
The antenna is super small, a 1/4 wave GMRS antenna is somewhere around 9". A 1/4 wave CB antenna is about 102". Sure you can get shorter CB antennas but that compromises your signal and gives you less bandwidth (SWR readings will be higher at towards the ends of the CB channel range) but you can get longer GMRS antennas which will give you more gain and direct more of your signal towards the horizon which helps when communicating over flat open land.
Also a GMRS antenna needs far less ground plane than a CB antenna so it can be mounted in places that a CB antenna can't or shouldn't.

As far as using a GMRS repeater, myGMRS.com is a good resource for repeater info. Some are open which means anyone is welcome to use it (given that you have a license), some just require asking the repeater owner for permission and some want you to pay a small fee.
Also, if you intend to attend any of the Jeep Jamboree events, GMRS is required. https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the information, I have no idea of this level GMRS I am an old CB guy from Smokey and the Bandit days. Back then we sat at home and talked about how our radios sounded too... lol. Thanks for explaining this to me.
LOL, and about 90% of what these GMRS experts talk about, cross country, with all their repeaters and top of the line equipment is, "How does my radio sound?"
:LOL:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did forget to mention that my setup is with large Midland 6db antennas, not the little itty bitty ones that come with the radios, although even they are surprisingly good.

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
LOL, and about 90% of what these GMRS experts talk about, cross country, with all their repeaters and top of the line equipment is, "How does my radio sound?"
:LOL:
OH MY GOSH! HA!
I was just talking about this last night to my son. You can always count on the two HAM operators at 4:30pm on channel 18 hitting the repeater asking how they sound and what they could do to sound better. :)

It's like clockwork!

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I did forget to mention that my setup is with large Midland 6db antennas, not the little itty bitty ones that come with the radios, although even they are surprisingly good.
I use the old school cell phone antenna, is it that one.

I just wanted to ball like it was 1985

Sponsored

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
Can you PM me what you have, if it works well for you it should on my Jeep too.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
OH MY GOSH! HA!
I was just talking about this last night to my son. You can always count on the two HAM operators at 4:30pm on channel 18 hitting the repeater asking how they sound and what they could do to sound better. :)

It's like clockwork!
Channel 16 here

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Driving to work this morning, I was getting a conversation on ch 18 between a local ham guy and a truck driver. The driver gave location updates and was over 65 miles (Summerlin NV to 10 miles past the Logandale exit on I-15) away and clear as a bell. Darn impressive...

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your idea and it worked beautifully.
I'm thinking about doing this also. But maybe putting a cat5 socket mounted on a dash panel somewhere, so I can unplug/plug in the mic when needed. Any suggestions?
Sponsored