James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Me too. My mobile is a KG-1000G.

1683941277161.png
Yeah the 1000G is slick and being able to monitor two channels at the same time is really nice. I couldn’t pass up the mxt275 at $99 though when I was looking. Like I said I did manage to get the wideband firmware upgrade even if I’m locked out of receiving on the low power 8-14 channels. The 1000g or similar will probably be an upgrade at some point and I may give my dad the mxt275.

The FM CB was admittedly something I didn’t know and very interesting, my dad had a CB in his transam back in the 70s and used to just listen in to all the interesting convos coming through Memphis since we got decent truck traffic through here.
Sponsored

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I'll only buy a set if the paint bubbles on the edges and the antenna has a death wobble when you transmit. And 36 mile range???? Methinks someone is smoking something. My UHF amateur radio handheld gets 15 miles on a good day with a tailwind up here in the mountains....maybe.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I haven't used a 2 way radio in a long time. I used to monitor a CB on long road trips, but now anywhere in my part of Texas the CB channels are all full of people over talking over each other and talking shit to each other in Spanish. I guess Mexican bought CBs don't have the same power restrictions. Same with FRS, especially if you're near an outlet mall or large event. The further north you go , the better it gets. But anywhere near the border, forget it.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't used a 2 way radio in a long time. I used to monitor a CB on long road trips, but now anywhere in my part of Texas the CB channels are all full of people over talking over each other and talking shit to each other in Spanish. I guess Mexican bought CBs don't have the same power restrictions. Same with FRS, especially if you're near an outlet mall or large event. The further north you go , the better it gets. But anywhere near the border, forget it.
Not to mention truck stops (etc) illegally peaking /tuning CB radios so they transmit 100-1000 watts, when the FCC limit is 4 watts. Noise coming in from those radios in other states. Such toxicity destroyed the CB frequencies.

How do I know? I went to a truck stop when my CB that I had for 30+ years failed. The first words out of the shop owner’s mouth was “I can peak/tune it for you for $80 and you’ll be able to transmit 100 watts.” I bought it and it performed as he said it would.

Then I learned it was illegal and I was contributing to unlawful degradation. I took the radio back to the shop and the owner would not refund me. I left it there and walked away. The FCC should clamp down on that kind of stuff. Maybe that’ll help remove some of the toxic noise on CB frequencies.

Sponsored

bigcitymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
The FM CB was admittedly something I didn’t know and very interesting, my dad had a CB in his transam back in the 70s and used to just listen in to all the interesting convos coming through Memphis since we got decent truck traffic through here.
The chatter on Ch19 from West Memphis across the river is nuts. You have a couple of truck stops there next to I40, and a bunch of brothers keying up every 5 minutes trying sell "that green stuff" SMH. Examples HERE. It was so blatant, I just figured it was the cops.

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Alright fine, you guys talked me into ordering these stupid radios :LOL:

Does anyone know of a good way to secure these things on the dash, grab handles, or rollbars? Amazon wasn't really showing anything. I tend to lose these things under the seats if they're not attached to something.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Alright fine, you guys talked me into ordering these stupid radios :LOL:

Does anyone know of a good way to secure these things on the dash, grab handles, or rollbars? Amazon wasn't really showing anything. I tend to lose these things under the seats if they're not attached to something.
Just look for like RAM ball mount for Jeep or something on Amazon and then another mount for your specific handheld.

I use a combo of the 67 designs rail mount and a jeepuniq mount for my mxt275

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you both! That's perfect, and actually also solves my InReach Mini mounting question that I hadn't even asked yet.
I've already got several unused 1" ball mounts (my CMM mirrors came with them) so this is exactly the solution I needed.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you both! That's perfect, and actually also solves my InReach Mini mounting question that I hadn't even asked yet.
I've already got several unused 1" ball mounts (my CMM mirrors came with them) so this is exactly the solution I needed.
I use JeepUniq to mount my Garmin InReach Explorer+ on my grab bar. Their product is very well designed and durable. I moved it to the right now that I have my HAM/GMRS mounted near the shifter.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
Jeep® Brand Collaborates With Midland Radio to Deliver Co-branded Walkie Talkies
  • Iconic off-road Jeep® vehicle establishes Midland Radio as the market leader in off-road communications
May 11, 2023 , Kansas City, Mont. - Today, Midland Radio, the leader in two-way radio communication technology, announced its collaboration with the Jeep® brand the authentic global SUV brand that brings capability, versatility and off-road adventure to owners and enthusiasts around the world. Midland Radio is kicking off the relationship with the introduction of the T77VP5J Jeep X-Talker Extreme Dual Pack, the first of many Jeep-branded Midland products to come.

Midland Radio and the Jeep brand have long been at the forefront of the off-roading community, providing rugged and reliable products that enthusiasts love. The dedication and affinity toward this community over the years is why both brands continue to create unrivaled experiences for this audience through innovative products and events. Midland's continued sponsorship of Jeep Jamboree and this newly announced relationship further solidifies Midland Radio's position as the market leader in off-road communications and the trusted manufacturer for Jeep enthusiasts.

The T77VP5J Jeep X-Talker Extreme Dual Pack is a by-product of Midland’s long-time customer favorite T71 license-free handheld. With features that include up to 38 miles in range, 36 channels, crisp communication and Weather Alert Radio with Weather Scan technology, users can venture far and wide without worrying about losing contact or getting caught in severe weather. A micro-USB charging port also allows for easy, accessible in-vehicle recharging. Now, Jeep enthusiasts can show off their love for the brand on a practical piece of equipment that they can take with them on the trails or out while camping.

“When the leading automotive manufacturer brand of off-road vehicles chooses and trusts you as their go-to off-road communication equipment, you are doing something right,” said Dan Schwartz, CEO of Midland Radio. “We are excited to partner with the Jeep brand and to announce the T77VP5J. We aim to enhance all Jeep enthusiasts’ experiences by providing the best possible communication while hitting the trails in their Jeep 4x4 vehicles.”

The T77VP5J is the first Midland Radio product to bear the Jeep brand logo, with additional models to come in the popular MicroMobile line.

The T77VP5J Jeep X-Talker Extreme Dual Pack is offered at $134.99 and is currently available for purchase from Midland and approved retailers.

BU023_143EV.jpg

BU023_144EV.jpg

BU023_145EV.jpg

BU023_146EV.jpg

BU023_147EV.jpg

BU023_148EV.jpg

BU023_149EV.jpg

BU023_150EV.jpg

BU023_151EV.jpg

BU023_152EV.jpg
FRS radios seriously. All my friends use GMRS exclusively. A few also carrier either HAM or CB, but not bubble pack FRS radios

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I stopped reading when the press release said Kansas City is in Montana.

Funny as hell that Midland's PR firm doesn't know where their clients are from, that MO is Missouri, and MT is Montana.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I stopped reading when the press release said Kansas City is in Montana.

Funny as hell that Midland's PR firm doesn't know where their clients are from, that MO is Missouri, and MT is Montana.
Midland had a booth at Easter Jeep Safari (EJS), an event that mandates CB for communications, without an AM/FM capable CB model.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Totally unnecessary purchase since I've already got Midland GMRS radios, but I couldn't help myself. No regerts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland and Jeep Collaborate on Midland T77VP5J JEEP X-TALKER Walkie Talkies 2023-05-24 13.39.35

I can set up all my radios on a shared GMRS/FRS channel (1-7 or 15-22), so they can all still talk to each other while the GMRS radios can still use full power. These new FRS radios just won't have as much power, but they're green and say "Jeep" on them which more than makes up for it :LOL:
Sponsored