Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
35% premium over the same radio on Amazon without the Jeep logo. You’re basically paying for Midland’s licensing fee with Jeep for a tiny Jeep logo to be slapped on the front. Pure money grab / rip off in my opinion.

But I guarantee people will buy it
Mm. Perhaps Midland saw what Igloo did and wanted a piece of the same action. Those precious Instagram photos aren't going to post themselves.
Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Mm. Perhaps Midland saw what Igloo did and wanted a piece of the same action. Those precious Instagram photos aren't going to post themselves.
I almost got my dad one of those, he’s got a playmate that I’m pretty sure is approaching 50 years old or close to it lol. He ruined it by getting a travel trailer with a fridge instead lol.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ask the rugged radio guys 😂
OMG you went there!!! :):):)

I bought a RuggedRadios mobile/handset pair. When I tried to program it I couldn't. I contacted them and was told “No you can’t program it, WE have to for you.” I dumped it on MarketPlace and moved on to Wouxon.

PS, see? Not once did I mention how they got raked over hot coals by the FCC…oops…

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice to see them do this using one of the better models in the Midland lineup. I wonder if/when the MXT275 will see a Jeep branded version?
Also.... How many of you are willing to pay a little more for the same radios just so they say "Jeep" on them??
#WidebandOrGoHome

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I kinda agree, my only caveat is I got the wideband firmware mxt275 for like half off stacking some coupons, but man they really do think we’re too stupid to use any features lol.
Right! Like strip out some channels so we can’t monitor, since we might lose our minds over not being able to broadcast over them.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I have no issues with this. It's just a good marketing move by Midland. They are literally getting Jeep to market their product. Even if people see you can get the same radio cheaper without the Jeep logo, guess what.... they'll get the cheaper one, and Midland still wins. The other thing this does is let people like us (affluent Jeep owners, according to other posts lol) know that radios and Jeeps go together, and Midland is conveniently ready to help with that ;). Jeep likely isn't getting anything out of this besides a check, probably 100% profit.

And I'll say that I like all my Midland radios, handhelds and MXT275. No complaints.

Heater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Rubicon. 2006 LJ Rubicon. 1984 CJ-7.
Call me a cave man but what is the difference/added value of using this type comms method vs a CB? Yes I used to watch Dukes of Hazzard and Smokey and the Bandit …

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Call me a cave man but what is the difference/added value of using this type comms method vs a CB? Yes I used to watch Dukes of Hazzard and Smokey and the Bandit …
Doesn’t sound as bad as CB, and CB is kinda dying, Easter Jeep safari is afaik one of the last (or the last) CB holdout.

All the Jeep sponsored events use GMRS as a requirement and most people can just buy a blister pack at Walmart of cheap FRS radios that can use some of the same frequencies as GMRS.

GMRS technically requires a license, FRS is license free. No one will hunt you down using GMRS without a license unless they’re a busybody and we mostly just ignore them.

Dusty Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ply Roadrunner, 2010 Challenger SRT
You kind of have to think of CB vs GMRS as similar to the difference between AM and FM. CB is 4 watts and susceptible to more background static from sunspot activity. GMRS is higher frequency so it much more line of sight transmission kinda like FM radio stations. Thus the need for repeaters…

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Easter Jeep Safari (EJS) requires CB, apparently their biggest reason is having 40 channels.

GMRS is so much better, but there are fewer channels. When you mix mobile/handheld, the number of channels goes down even further. There's a learning curve. There's a $35 license for 10 years. No test to get the license.

HAM has a higher learning curve. The number of frequencies is, well, staggering. The license is $35 and requires proctored testing (they watch everyone during the test). The distance, is, well, just incredible (some HAM frequencies can go around the world, though the next level license is required for the much more capable frequencies, allows you to transmit more power, etc.).

I have all three, because I go with the flow. Whatever the group uses, I will use.

HTH

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
38 miles of range. Where was the person TX from? The ISS?
Also charging $134 for 2 FRS radios? That’s robbery.
The Midland T77VP5/T77VP5J are FRS radios. 2W power, don't believe the range claims. The antenna is teeny and can't be replaced with a better one (thank you FCC).

The Midland GXT1000VP4 is a GMRS radio. 5W power. More range, more interoperability, cheap but very limited.

I'd seriously look at getting a Wouxun GMRS handheld. GMRS with more power, replaceable antennas, and much more capable.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland and Jeep Collaborate on Midland T77VP5J JEEP X-TALKER Walkie Talkies DonM_ 2023-05-12 at 20.12.51

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
The Midland T77VP5/T77VP5J are FRS radios. 2W power, don't believe the range claims. The antenna is teeny and can't be replaced with a better one (thank you FCC).

The Midland GXT1000VP4 is a GMRS radio. 5W power. More range, more interoperability, cheap but very limited.

I'd seriously look at getting a Wouxun GMRS handheld. GMRS with more power, replaceable antennas, and much more capable.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland and Jeep Collaborate on Midland T77VP5J JEEP X-TALKER Walkie Talkies DonM_ 2023-05-12 at 20.12.51
Oh yeah I knew all that, hence my, maybe poor, joke about being on the ISS, it’s gotta have line of sight most everywhere lol.

I’ve got a kg-935g along with a baofeng uv-5r that’s been factory reset cause I’m a rebel lol.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn’t sound as bad as CB, and CB is kinda dying
That might be why the FCC finally certified FM for CB. President released the first FCC compliant AM/FM CB handheld. Works exactly like your existing CB, but you can switch from the default AM to the much more clear FM. Just like AM radio stinks compared to FM radio. Both ends will need to have an FM capable radio to appreciate the quality. It's really impressive.

https://president-electronics.us/CB-Radios/AM-FM-transceivers/RANDY-II-FCC

But yea, most folks have walked away from CB. I haven't, in fact I jumped on the new Cobra 75 All Road mobile. Hoping one day I can test with someone on FM CB. I'll only ever use it once per year, but it is what it is.

https://www.cobra.com/products/75-allroad

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah I knew all that, hence my, maybe poor, joke about being on the ISS, it’s gotta have line of sight most everywhere lol.

I’ve got a kg-935g along with a baofeng uv-5r that’s been factory reset cause I’m a rebel lol.
Me too. My mobile is a KG-1000G.

Jeep Wrangler JL Midland and Jeep Collaborate on Midland T77VP5J JEEP X-TALKER Walkie Talkies 1683941277161
Sponsored